Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That POF looks good. Does LMT still make uppers/lowers for AR 10s? Havent seen them around in a while? Aero sounds ideal for the build. PSA has been hit or miss on some of their items.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Esox357
That POF looks good. Does LMT still make uppers/lowers for AR 10s? Havent seen them around in a while? Aero sounds ideal for the build. PSA has been hit or miss on some of their items.

Still listed on their website, but hard to find.

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good to know

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I’ve never had one issue with my LR-308. Yes it has some weight but I’ve never worried about it going bang. The LR-308 may be a thing of the past I’m just glad I got those cheap spare parts when Remington cleared house.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Daniel Defense dd5v1 that is a tank and weighs as much as one. Also have a Colt M.A.R.C in 6.5 creed, it stays in the safe.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Showdog75
I have a Daniel Defense dd5v1 that is a tank and weighs as much as one. Also have a Colt M.A.R.C in 6.5 creed, it stays in the safe.

Take a look at the POF offerings. Very quality built rifle with great accuracy. Not cheap, but where else can you start with a sub 6- 7 pound gun?

Buy once, cry once.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
POF and or a build seem like a good way to go about it. Thinking a 6 5 cm or 308.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just handled the new Ruger SFAR (Small Frame AR) in 308. I would give it a look.

NRA Life Member
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't seen them in my area but ill keep an eye out. I notice most manufacturered ARs have 16.5 inch barrels or 20. Not seeing many with 18".

Last edited by Esox357; 01/18/23.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Who has best prices on POF?

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have an LR-308 16” that’s been a good reliable gun for me. Several hundred rounds through it so it hasn’t been tested hard. I’ve only put 168gr Sierra BTHP handloads through it. Probably around 1.5” groups. Nothing special but perfectly fine for most any use I’ll need it for. I bought the gun at Walmart about 10 years ago when they were selling AR’s and paid about $900 for it. Wish it was a couple pounds lighter but it’s not.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I ordered my Rogue from Tombstone Tactical for $1477 out the door but I don’t see that deal anymore. Look on gun.deals they have a live search and sort by price.

Last edited by HickoryNut; 01/18/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm surprised more of you don't have an AR10 or 2. No pics in this thread either.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Esox357
Who has best prices on POF?

I found my POF Revolution on gunbroker with a dealer local (Dallas area). I then went and bought it in person. They had a bunch of Revolutions in 6.5 and .308 I asked them if they carried any of the other POF offerings and they said they only carry the Revolution. They felt it was the best buy with the best features out of all the POF offerings. They were really big on POF Revolutions with Trijicon thermals for hog hunting.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This thread needs more pictures. Show your wonderful AR 10 AR 308'S.. How do those wonderful rifles shoot?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Full disclaimer, I have irons on mine and usually only shoot M80 ball through it. Does about 2" at 100 yards, longest we've got at my range. Definitely a case of rifle outshooting user.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Welcome to the world of NO STANDARD SPECS in the AR 10 WORLD.

Everybody including Ruger does their own dance with this platform.

Including port size, port location, gas tube length, buffer spring strength, buffer weight,.....yeah all of that and sometimes more or less depending on the manufacturer.
Remember this, if you start with said maker YOU STICK WITH THAT MAKER if you want 100% ease and success. You will have some parts fitting and getting awfully close from one company to the next and working OK. You just have to be prepared to test it all and make sure you have spare parts and you will be good. I learned all this when I put together two PSA G3's into .308 win.

Most company's seem to loosely follow the DPMS pattern up to a point. some closer than others which is a "kind of standard". Armalite paved the way but DPMS made it more reachable for gun nuts.
Alot of them do not know what they are doing since there is no standard, so they look over the shoulder of another manufacturer and copy what they have....including the bugs.
Ruger, PSA, POF, ....so on and so on all do this.

The biggest faults they all share are...port location, gas tube length, port size, buffer spring weight, and buffer weight. They will use a common AR15 buffer spring and standard buffer which is retarded its a full .308 win for gods sake not a small cartridge. Look around on the net and you will see what I am writing about.

I suggest a SpringCo red/orange buffer spring and an Expo Arms heavy buffer.
It will calm ejection and you wont need the adj. block unless you run a suppressor.

The 2 PSA G3's in .308 have 18" barrels.
BOTH run fantastic, out to 400 yards 3" groups with hand loads 168 grn ballistic tips which is a farting around load. I use that load for multiple .308's including bolt actions.
That being said I like them both. They run well. 4'o clock ejection and 5 feet away. I took off the adjustable gas blocks. The blocks worked but it was just once piece I did not want to have to worry about locking up or just crapping out. So I put a regular gas block on both.
I have hunted with both and the last thing you want is that stupid adjustable block not working on a hunt.

Dont get me wrong I have an FN FAL the adjustable gas block is the tits. Its big and field adjustable with a .308 shell. This cheap azz small set screws and chit everybody puts out is garbage. Ruger did it ok to a point but a real block would be like the FAL.

Designed CORRECTLY from the get go it would be great but NO, little allen screws and crap like that shows up.

Do I like them AR 10's, heck yeah, they are fun and and enjoyable to shoot.

Best
HeavyDove

Last edited by HeavyDove; 01/19/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ClayBelt
Full disclaimer, I have irons on mine and usually only shoot M80 ball through it. Does about 2" at 100 yards, longest we've got at my range. Definitely a case of rifle outshooting user.

That is very acceptable for ball ammo and irons. One of my buddies shoots one of the Aero precision builds I was talking about earlier and in our AR shoots, he will shoot around 1 1/2" 10 shot groups. Not always centered on the x ring though. He's an older airborne Ranger and knows how to shoot. When he's dialed in, he's a great competitor. One rifle I'd stay away from is the Savage AR10 or MSR 10 as they call it. One of my buddies here has one and it is constantly jamming up on him. Accuracy/precision is very good, but if a rifle is constantly a struggle to keep running, I have no use for it. He has another AR10 AR308 rifle that runs much better, but does not shoot as well. I can't remember the make of that one. It only shoots about 2" 5 shot groups at 100 with Federal gold medal match. The MSR savage shoots 3/4-1" 5 shot groups.. They put a good barrel on that one, but the operating system sucks..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Anyone have any opinions on the Sig Sauer 716 patrol rifle? I believe there's the gen 1 patrol, then gen 2, and finally the Tread series. The 716 first gen patrol weighs around 9.5 lbs bare and is piston operated with adjustable gas flows

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.