Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Oldquailhunter
Shouldn’t I get a cut for starting this mess…lol

I would like to see a article on this done. Start with the 243 Winchester and end up with the 338 Winchester with a 257 weatherby and a few other high velocity cartridges thrown in. I think it would be very interesting.

I will let you know how 6mm match bullets do around oct/Nov...my guess is, just fine out to waaay further than I'm willing to shoot. (700yds +)

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

I would like to see a article on this done. Start with the 243 Winchester and end up with the 338 Winchester with a 257 weatherby and a few other high velocity cartridges thrown in. I think it would be very interesting.

I will let you know how 6mm match bullets do around oct/Nov...my guess is, just fine out to waaay further than I'm willing to shoot. (700yds +)

I think they might do ok at distance but how do you think they will do at 50 yards? In my opinion that’s were bullets will be separated.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Particularly with a direct hit on a shoulder joint...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

I think they might do ok at distance but how do you think they will do at 50 yards? In my opinion that’s were bullets will be separated.

I suspect they'll do fine from muzzle velocity to 1800fps. If I get the opportunity I'll see...for "science".

Gasp....not the shoulder joint! 😱

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A very interesting, informative and entertaining thread. I have come to the conclusion that many here need to study the anatomy and skeletal structure of an elk.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was on an elk hunt in NM about 12 or 15 years ago and after I had tagged out on a nice bull my guide and I helped another hunter track down a bull he had wounded. We finally caught up with the poor bastard and killed it after he had shot it 5x at various ranges and at various angles. I can't remember all the details, but I do remember he was shooting a 300 Win Short Mag and 165 grain Winchester Ballistic silvertips. Not one of the bullets penetrated any big bones or got to any vitals and the elk was running around the mountains with various horrible flesh wounds when we finally caught up with the elk and killed it. I asked the hunter why he chosen that particular load to shoot and he told me it was the most accurate of various factory ammo he had tried. I killed my bull on that hunt with 2 rounds out of my 300 Win mag at 425 and 440 yards respectively with 180 grain NPs. One shot went entirely though the bull breaking his off leg between the shoulder and elbow on the way out and the other all the way though hanging up on the offside hide after breaking his off shoulder.

How does this relate to this thread? In my experience, when you are shooting at large animals with thick hides and heavy bones protecting their vitals, accuracy is important, but not as important as bullet construction and performance.

Just my humble opinion.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
How thick are elk hides? How heavy are the bones?

Hyperbole and Fudd lore rule the day!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll play. 140 match bullet impact velocity around 1800. Bull elk on and offside shoulders. Never took a step.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]jake gyllenhaal wallpaper

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2 years ago- first bull with my 26 Nosler. Launched a 140 Accubond at around 3400 fps - high broadside shoulder shot as this spike was in a large herd and I didn't want it to run off with the herd. Impact velocity was probably over 3000 fps at the 127 yards distance he was at. Accubond went through both shoulder blades, a rib on each side, just nicked the bottom of the spine and was found on the far side just under the skin. Bullet was a perfect mushroom but did very little damage to meat and didn't penetrate the far side skin...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,438
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.