Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Nice bull!

It sure is. Killed with a bow and obviously recovered. This famous quote seems apropos:

“O beware, my lord, of jealousy; It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The experts say dogs sometimes take on their owners characteristics.

Does your dog lick the butts of short, portly dogs......with round heads?

Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Nice bull!

It sure is. Killed with a bow and obviously recovered. This famous quote seems apropos:

“O beware, my lord, of jealousy; It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on."

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Congratulations Mikey. Only you could look at the photo of that bull, find fault wth it, and then effortlessly transition into dogs licking butts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just wanted to get into the spirit of what this thread has become.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Bmedlin Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hahaha… was thinking the same thing.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Wow........look at all that frothy, bright red lung blood!

There are internet experts out there that may say that blood looks relatively old, like it laid overnight.

Other internet experts may suspect we are seeing the 'good' side, when it comes to the wound channel.

If you incessantly crave the internet atta-boy's..........perhaps cropping out the hideous shot placement would be prudent, in the future.

It is a great bull.

Originally Posted by BuzzH
[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

I have the video footage of killing that bull taken by my brother. Wasn't even going to hunt that day, but had time to get out the day before pronghorn opened for my dad and brother. Have video footage of my bull and a 350 class 6 point fighting a week prior to when I killed him.

After the shot the bull went maybe 80 yards and I gave it an hour...he died way sooner than that.

Tell that dead bull it was a bad shot...

Hang a photo of your best WY bull...I promise not to laugh if you don't crop yourself out the photo.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Buzz, why all the bitterness?

Some have no need to post every pic of every animal, online. There are way too many pics, but mostly shared with family and close friends.

I get it. You are trying to forward your pay-out from a bogus organization that was caught, red handed.

Buzz-Bankman-Fried.

Making the Elk Hunting Forum great again.

Wow........look at all that frothy, bright red lung blood!

There are internet experts out there that may say that blood looks relatively old, like it laid overnight.

Other internet experts may suspect we are seeing the 'good' side, when it comes to the wound channel.

If you incessantly crave the internet atta-boy's..........perhaps cropping out the hideous shot placement would be prudent, in the future.

It is a great bull.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

I have the video footage of killing that bull taken by my brother. Wasn't even going to hunt that day, but had time to get out the day before pronghorn opened for my dad and brother. Have video footage of my bull and a 350 class 6 point fighting a week prior to when I killed him.

After the shot the bull went maybe 80 yards and I gave it an hour...he died way sooner than that.

Tell that dead bull it was a bad shot...

Hang a photo of your best WY bull...I promise not to laugh if you don't crop yourself out the photo.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ok. Now that we have determined who is the worlds greatest elk slayer and who is the best dog butt licker, we can move on.

Happy New year!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not so fast. I heard that MIkey is working on a video showing tips and tricks for lighting a dumpster fire......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Show us all your area 7 elk Mikey, we'd love to see them.
Just like seeing nice bulls and successful cow hunts, post up your area 7 success on public lands since you have so many.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Wait........who can kill elk in zone 7 with virtually no public access?

Isn't that what you posted?

grin

Originally Posted by wytex
Just like seeing nice bulls and successful cow hunts, post up your area 7 success on public lands since you have so many.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
WAM........my better half refuses to give up her PRN status for local home health.

She visits many Veterans that have no current drivers to the VA.

Yours truly volunteered........being quickly rejected from a lack of any jab.

Who on the planet would be safer from harm, than those being chauffeured by Weiner?

Even offered my prized, grocery-getter F150.....and gas to boot.

Originally Posted by WAM
Ok. Now that we have determined who is the worlds greatest elk slayer and who is the best dog butt licker, we can move on.

Happy New year!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

grin

You posted you took one there, post it up. Oh yeah it was a cow you said.
Early elk hunting is ok, archery season. Once rifle opens they head to private lands for the most part. Later in season they tend to wander across the wintering area but also hold up on private lands. Yes elk can be had but you better have time and ways to get around later in season if that is when to want to hunt.

If he wants a regular price cow license then area 7 is a good choice if you have the time to hunt it. I know a better area with more access though for a Type 4 license, also better bull draw odds on that area and big bulls to be found with plenty of access on public ground.

Lets see your trophy cow elk Mikey, it is your only area 7 kill? Post 'em up.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What will you eat, for every photo posted?

It's time to man up here, tough guy.

Let's do this.

My son harvested a 6x6 bull on Wednesday, opening rifle week. Public land, random draw.

Zone 7, type 6........and type 4.......are the same seasons, exception being price.

Are you seriously a resident?

grin

You posted you took one there, post it up. Oh yeah it was a cow you said.
Early elk hunting is ok, archery season. Once rifle opens they head to private lands for the most part. Later in season they tend to wander across the wintering area but also hold up on private lands. Yes elk can be had but you better have time and ways to get around later in season if that is when to want to hunt.

If he wants a regular price cow license then area 7 is a good choice if you have the time to hunt it. I know a better area with more access though for a Type 4 license, also better bull draw odds on that area and big bulls to be found with plenty of access on public ground.

Lets see your trophy cow elk Mikey, it is your only area 7 kill? Post 'em up.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
A cow tag is always easier to draw, as there are about 5 times as many cows as bulls. Archery hunting success ratio is about 1/2 or less of rifle hunting. It use to be quoted as 18-20 % for rifle and 10-11% for archery. Due to ever increasing number of hunters I believe it is more like 14-15% for rifle and 5% for archery. So factor in those two statistic before choosing sex and what to use

Season wise, you can buy an Over the Counter tag (OTC) for 2nd and 3rd rifle season and archery for some big game units. Colorado is divided into Units and you select which unit you want to hunt in. Many units are lumped into one big area. I don't know of any OTC units that are not tremendously over crowded and success ratio is probably at least half of units that require a to draw a tag in a lottery.

Weather is a big factor too. Of the four rifle seasons the first season is more likely to have warmer weather, but that effects the success kill ratio. The later the season, the more chance of snow which could limit access to hunt areas, but success kill ratio climbs, especially for cows since they will be herded up more and at lower elevations if the snow is deep in the high country.

Horses will definitely get you into better country. Many areas in Colorado are Wilderness designated and ATV or any motorized/wheeled vehicle is not permitted . So it is either back packing or horses/mules. If successful, those horses will be invaluable in packing 300-400's of meat back to your truck. IF, and that is a big IF, the horses will pack meat, you have the experience to do so, and are very familiar with handling horses. You cannot depend on there being forage for your stock, the later the season the less there will be. Therefore,you will need weed free certified hay or any processed feed . Water is a big concern. You will have to camp near a good water source. The later the season the more of a chance the water will be frozen up. Lack of water will kill your horses.Then you get into the problems of the horse being hobble broke, high line or picketing broke and the possibility of encountering moose, and bears, or even the occasional llama.

On the plus side, horses will expand your hunting territory and make you more mobile. A lot of foot hunters will exhaust themselves in 3 days hiking around 10,000 ft elevations. With horses, you can hunt hard all day and all you have to worry about is having enough energy to crawl back into the saddle. However, they will add an hour to an hour and a half to you camp chores morning and evening and taking care of them during the day.

For your first hunt, I would seriously recommend this guy and hunt Wyoming. http://www.headinwest.net/ The learning curve is tremendous and it is money well spent. Most of the time, new hunters spend 5 years + before being successful .

Someone mentioned, " just go,don't over think it ". That is fine if you want to go on a camping trip and hike around with a rifle. 10% of the hunters, kill 90% of the elk, they don't do that with that kind of attitude.

People who go kill a lot more elk than people who don’t go. I agree that a small number of us kill most of the elk. I killed two in Colorado this year, one with a bow and one yesterday with a rifle.

Last edited by BeanMan; 01/19/23.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Bmedlin,
Welcome to the campfire, Marine! You have found a great place for info or just to kill time if you’re ever bored.

I’m an elk newbie and can’t offer the experience that most of these guys can. But I can add a couple things! I’ve hunted a week for two seasons, and this past fall me and my 2 hunting partners hunted 8 days for a total of 3 elk hunts in my life. We were unsuccessful the first year, but I killed a bull the last two years on public land.

The first thing I would say is don’t expect this to be your first and last elk hunt. You will become addicted. Keep that in mind if you’re acquiring any gear or supplies.

Second, I would suggest getting a guide the first go around. This has been mentioned a lot, but I will add that any guide is better than no guide. We went cheap (really cheap) our first go around. 1 guide for 3 hunters for 5 days. The guide was not a good hunter or guide, but, it was enough to get our feet wet. While we were unsuccessful, it gave us something to build on. We spent the next year dreaming, planning and executing. Even though the guide wasn’t great, the experience was priceless.

Third, go for as long as you can. This year it snowed hard the first three days of our hunt. The animals were holed up during that period and we didn’t see a thing those three days.

Lastly, get a good group organized. The first two years we hunted licenses were 100% for us. This year, one of us didn’t get a tag, but we all still got to go together for the hunt. Having a good hunting party you can hunt with each year will improve the general experience and help ensure tags for the group.

Hope this info helps and you get as much enjoyment hunting elk as I have. If so, you will be in for a real treat.

Good luck and Semper fi!

-Jeff

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Apply in NM. No points to worry about but tough on DIY NRs. I suggest applying with an outfitter and booking a semi guided two day hunt(legal limit length.) you get into the 10% pool and get the guide to show you around for two days. They probably won’t take you to a honey hole but it would be a crash course especially if you weren’t able to scout. Plan your hunt by the moon. It can be a killer. Bring your horses. They add another dimension of stress but can also add to your enjoyment and help you too. If you’re a bow hunter Sept is a magical time to be in the elk woods. Good luck!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.