Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jeeper
Originally Posted by CasualShooter
From an article in outdoor life on the remington release of the cartridge:

"The parent case of the .360 Buckhammer is a .30/30 that’s been blown out to get rid of the taper and necked up to accommodate .358-caliber bullets. Initially, the .360 Buckhammer will be offered with two bullets: a 200-grain Core-Lokt and a 180-grain Core-Lokt."

Hope these bullets make it into the components sales scene.

That's an odd explanation, as it's smaller in diameter than the 30/30 at a certain point up the case.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll ask this question so warm the tar up Will it work in AR platform? I'm glad to see the 360 and hope it suceeds.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It'll work in an AR about as well as any other rimmed cartridge would.....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
Am I reading this right: the parent case is a 30-30?

Hmmm. I wonder when JES will be able to rechamber a 30-30 for 360 Buckhammer.

EDIT: I found this article that does a good job of getting into the details
https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/360-buckhammer/

I'm a bit less enamored the more I read, but I'm still curious. I wonder what a .358 pistol bullet would do-- either a Hornady XTP or a cast lead 158 grain RNFP.

This is probably the first time in 20-some years, I've actually been attracted to a new cartridge. Normally, I look at the chambering du jour and yawn. However, this one seems to have some practicality and some potential for growing legs.

XTPs are probably too soft for deer. The FP is recommended for use in .357 rifles over the HP version. With Lil Gun, 1900fps is doable, even a bit higher in some guns, pretty much original .30/30 ballistics, at the muzzle anyway. Mule Deer & Co like a 180gr Speer IIRC in the Max and some 9mm rifles.

There’s been a .35/30 wildcat around for years for Winchester guys with .35 Remington envy.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by brydan
I'm a bit less enamored the more I read, but I'm still curious. I wonder what a .358 pistol bullet would do-- either a Hornady XTP or a cast lead 158 grain RNFP.

This is probably the first time in 20-some years, I've actually been attracted to a new cartridge. Normally, I look at the chambering du jour and yawn. However, this one seems to have some practicality and some potential for growing legs.

At short range it might be a little hot at max velocity for a 180 XTP. I've taken a few deer with that bullet and it's been excellent, the hardest it got pushed was a shoulder shot on a 200# buck at ~10 yards with a MV of around 1850 fps. It performed perfect but guesstimating based on how much it mushroomed I'm not sure I'd push too much faster than that if close shots are a possibility.

...and me too on being attracted to the round. I don't need any wild velocity claims, as a single shot fan, a rimmed case with similar performance to a 35 Remington is plenty for me to take an interest in it.

The 180 XTP has worked just fine for me out of
a maximum reamed from a 357mag
I've shot several deer with it as a magnum
before the reaming, and the regular 158gr
jacketed did just fine. IIRC 22" barrel in a
H&R Handi rifle. Through and through. No
recovered bullet to show

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

XTPs are probably too soft for deer. The FP is recommended for use in .357 rifles over the HP version. With Lil Gun, 1900fps is doable, even a bit higher in some guns, pretty much original .30/30 ballistics, at the muzzle anyway. Mule Deer & Co like a 180gr Speer IIRC in the Max and some 9mm rifles.

There’s been a .35/30 wildcat around for years for Winchester guys with .35 Remington envy.
FWIW, and I acknowledge it's out of a 357 Mag, so not as fast, but 158gr XTP-HPs have been wicked good on use for whitetails. Son's first deer was shot at 30yds. In through the sternum found in rear ham.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In a .358 win they will work and work very well at good speeds and picked distances.
So this 360 BH is the same just slower.
All the caveats that go with the Win will be the same for the Rem. BuckH.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I think it would be a good round for the T/C Encore, pistol or rifle format. Don’t know if it’s too much for the Contender or G2. I

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Always fun to have a new toy to play with until we put it back in a box and forget about it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by outahere
Always fun to have a new toy to play with until we put it back in a box and forget about it.

It depends on whose box you're putting your toy in.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer

FWIW, and I acknowledge it's out of a 357 Mag, so not as fast, but 158gr XTP-HPs have been wicked good on use for whitetails. Son's first deer was shot at 30yds. In through the sternum found in rear ham.

I was just parroting what I read in a Brian Pierce article. He recommended the FP over the HP for rifle use. I have both, but based on early returns, the FP isn’t as accurate in my Henry SS. Might give it a try for does next season.

Pearce is a big fan of the .357 in rifles. Compares it to the .30/30 for effectiveness. His wife and kids have shot a bunch of stuff with it too.

No Buckhammer for me I think. We don’t have any silly restrictions, plus we have hills for stray bullets to run into. 😜

Looks very promising though.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, we Olde Fartes tend to look both ways before hopping on the bandwagon. Especially if it has wobbly wheels and is steered by a wild-eyed drunk marketing weenie. smile

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I was just parroting what I read in a Brian Pierce article. He recommended the FP over the HP for rifle use. I have both, but based on early returns, the FP isn’t as accurate in my Henry SS. Might give it a try for does next season.

Pearce is a big fan of the .357 in rifles. Compares it to the .30/30 for effectiveness. His wife and kids have shot a bunch of stuff with it too.

No Buckhammer for me I think. We don’t have any silly restrictions, plus we have hills for stray bullets to run into. 😜

Looks very promising though.
I've killed deer with several brands of 158 gr. SP's and HP's out of my Marlin 1894c. They all killed deer. They just ain't near as hard to kill with properly placed bullets as people tend to think..

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
It'll work in an AR about as well as any other rimmed cartridge would.....

We made a few AR's in 44 Remington Magnum in 2001. Sales were less than dismal. It was during the magazine ban and no one wanted an AR that only held 8 rounds, plus there wasn't much interest in hunting with an AR at that time.

We might bring it back though. The AR landscape has certainly changed.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Last edited by TonyRumore; 01/24/23.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Railman
I think it would be a good round for the T/C Encore, pistol or rifle format. Don’t know if it’s too much for the Contender or G2. I
Since it's based off the 30-30, I would think it would be GTG in the Contender. Lots of 30-30 wildcats have been done in the Contender.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Railman
Since it's based off the 30-30, I would think it would be GTG in the Contender. Lots of 30-30 wildcats have been done in the Contender.

I have both the Original Contender and G2 along with the Encore, Match Grade Machine said they have a reamer ordered. I may have to scratch that itch. 😁

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Let us know Railman if you do.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
IF I were going to jump on this, a Henry SS would be an easy choice for me due to past experience. They have been cleaning up their lever actions a bit, so they might get a look as well. Recent reviews have been very positive in general. They are however, about twice the price IIRC, and one shot seems to be the norm for me anyway as I’m past the lead-slinging stage.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (264mag, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 32 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,338
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.