[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
.225 Winchester - Not very pretty to look at, but a helluva shooter

Right on, looks like a hell of a shooter for sure..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hicountry
Damn Ben, nice buck.

I'm from Pen Argyl, where are you at ?

I'm one exit before Elk mountain on 81

BSA here's the elk recap

This was my second trip out west for a hunt. I went to Montana a few years ago with my buddy but came home empty handed. Two years ago he moved to Colorado. He wanted me to come out elk hunting, but it's tough for me to commit to time off months in advance. This fall we were pretty caught up on the farm, so my brother and wife agreed to hold down the fort.

I bought a last minute $200 plane ticket on a Saturday and flew out the next Thursday. He had drawn a mule deer tag, and I bought an over the counter bull tag for the 2nd season. He had checked out the unit after archery season, but only spent a little time in the area and didn't see any animals. I was happy to have the time off and to get to spend some time with a good friend. We set up camp Friday morning and checked out the area that evening.

The next morning we hiked about a mile and a half from the quad trail and each of us posted up on a different side of the ridge. When the sun came up it wasn't that great of a spot so we went over one more ridge and did the same thing. Around 830 a few cows came down a ridge about a 1000 yards away. Before I knew it, the group grew to 21 head, with 4-5 five points and one bigger six point. When the six point was silhouetted on the crest of the hill I remember thinking this was how I always pictured elk hunting. We watched them for a half hour or so. The animals seemed like they were going to settle into a patch of blowdowns for a bit.

The goal was to kill anything legal but I was happy to actually get to "hunt" elk. The plan was to drop about 1200ft of elevation and get onto the ridge that was between us and the elk. This looked like I would give me a 350-400 yard shot. The hike took 45 minutes and we weren't exactly where we wanted to be yet. But my buddy peeked over the ridge and most of the elk were gone. There was a few cows, a spike and a 5 point walking straight into us. We were going to try and make a move on the 5 point, when I noticed the rest of the elk crossing the ridge we were on. 325 yards below, a couple of cows were crossing through a 10-15 yard gap in the trees. They were all broadside, single file. I got the rifle ready and by buddy was watching the herd in his binos. He said here comes a 5 point.

We were so wrapped up trying to kill a legal bull, we had forgotten about the six point. I said "hey, where's the big one?" He said "it's a couple back wait a sec". When the six point came to the gap in the trees, it turned and was walking towards us. I fired straight into it's chest. I saw it rear up, it was a good hit. I fired another shot and it dropped. A couple seconds later it stumbled around trying to follow the other elk. It went into a little clearing at 350 yards I got on it again and hit it (in the lower shoulder) then once more into it's neck. It was dead. By 1030am on the first morning we had a bull on the ground.

Pa buck recap

I went for a walk in the morning before chores. I spotted a two deer out in a freshly picked corn strip. It was too dark to get a good look at them, but it looked like a decent buck and a doe.
I snuck out to the top of a diversion ditch and got ready for a prone shot. As the sun came up I could tell it was a good buck. It started to walk towards the mountain, I fired one shot at 340 yards. The buck jumped and went about ten yards. It looked dead on its feet but I shot once more and it tipped over.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by keystoneben
Damn Ben, nice buck.

BSA here's the elk recap

This was my second trip out west for a hunt. I went to Montana a few years ago with my buddy but came home empty handed. Two years ago he moved to Colorado. He wanted me to come out elk hunting, but it's tough for me to commit to time off months in advance. This fall we were pretty caught up on the farm, so my brother and wife agreed to hold down the fort.

I bought a last minute $200 plane ticket on a Saturday and flew out the next Thursday. He had drawn a mule deer tag, and I bought an over the counter bull tag for the 2nd season. He had checked out the unit after archery season, but only spent a little time in the area and didn't see any animals. I was happy to have the time off and to get to spend some time with a good friend. We set up camp Friday morning and checked out the area that evening.

The next morning we hiked about a mile and a half from the quad trail and each of us posted up on a different side of the ridge. When the sun came up it wasn't that great of a spot so we went over one more ridge and did the same thing. Around 830 a few cows came down a ridge about a 1000 yards away. Before I knew it, the group grew to 21 head, with 4-5 five points and one bigger six point. When the six point was silhouetted on the crest of the hill I remember thinking this was how I always pictured elk hunting. We watched them for a half hour or so. The animals seemed like they were going to settle into a patch of blowdowns for a bit.

The goal was to kill anything legal but I was happy to actually get to "hunt" elk. The plan was to drop about 1200ft of elevation and get onto the ridge that was between us and the elk. This looked like I would give me a 350-400 yard shot. The hike took 45 minutes and we weren't exactly where we wanted to be yet. But my buddy peeked over the ridge and most of the elk were gone. There was a few cows, a spike and a 5 point walking straight into us. We were going to try and make a move on the 5 point, when I noticed the rest of the elk crossing the ridge we were on. 325 yards below, a couple of cows were crossing through a 10-15 yard gap in the trees. They were all broadside, single file. I got the rifle ready and by buddy was watching the herd in his binos. He said here comes a 5 point.

We were so wrapped up trying to kill a legal bull, we had forgotten about the six point. I said "hey, where's the big one?" He said "it's a couple back wait a sec". When the six point came to the gap in the trees, it turned and was walking towards us. I fired straight into it's chest. I saw it rear up, it was a good hit. I fired another shot and it dropped. A couple seconds later it stumbled around trying to follow the other elk. It went into a little clearing at 350 yards I got on it again and hit it (in the lower shoulder) then once more into it's neck. It was dead. By 1030am on the first morning we had a bull on the ground.

Pa buck recap

I went for a walk in the morning before chores. I spotted a two deer out in a freshly picked corn strip. It was too dark to get a good look at them, but it looked like a decent buck and a doe.
I snuck out to the top of a diversion ditch and got ready for a prone shot. As the sun came up I could tell it was a good buck. It started to walk towards the mountain, I fired one shot at 340 yards. The buck jumped and went about ten yards. It looked dead on its feet but I shot once more and it tipped over.

Great story Ben. Thanks for sharing!!!! You left out the rifle and bullet though. If I remember right, that is your 30-06 fwt in a mcmillan stock? My buddy sent me a video of his elk hunt from a couple weeks ago. Late season cow elk hunt. He was using the pre 64 model 70 308 winchester that I restocked for him with a Mcmillan swirly hunters compact. Awesome stuff again, since I did not get to go elk hunting last fall!!!! Congrats on your nice bull buddy!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the last to come out of the Custom shop in the early 60s... 338 Winchester Magnum

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It was a great hunt....the day before the storm was coming and they were out feeding and didn't care if you were close to them. Had one more day and thought tomorrow it will be easy to get one. It wasn't, they hold up and you couldn't find one. Finally in the afternoon bounced this one out of her bed up on top. Easy drag down to the truck.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Damn Ben, nice buck.

BSA here's the elk recap

Pa buck recap

Awesome hunt. Sounds like a classic elk hunt to me.

Helluva buck hunt too!

I pass right by your exit weekly. Cool to know another P64 fella is so close, in relative terms!

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
nice

Last edited by bt8897; 01/21/23.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by jorgeI
One of the last to come out of the Custom shop in the early 60s... 338 Winchester Magnum

Love to see that in more detail!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
BSA
Yea the rifle is a pre64 fwt 30-06 . I've been shooting the 165gr interlock for the last 5-6 years. The load is really accurate out of my rifle, (it killed a woodchuck at 565 yards). I've used it on 2-3 deer a year, probably a dozen coyotes, 3 black bear and now one elk.

The first shot on the buck was a pass through. The second shot went in right Infront of the shoulder blade and came out the neck. It was stopped in the hide. I found it when I skinned it.

The first shot on the elk probably would have killed it. It went in the chest and didn't exit. The lower shoulder shot didn't either. But the neck shot did. It died within 25-30 yards of where I first shot it so I'd say it worked.

Beretzs
Where are you at?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am a fan of Interlocks

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA
Yea the rifle is a pre64 fwt 30-06 . I've been shooting the 165gr interlock for the last 5-6 years. The load is really accurate out of my rifle, (it killed a woodchuck at 565 yards). I've used it on 2-3 deer a year, probably a dozen coyotes, 3 black bear and now one elk.

The first shot on the buck was a pass through. The second shot went in right Infront of the shoulder blade and came out the neck. It was stopped in the hide. I found it when I skinned it.

The first shot on the elk probably would have killed it. It went in the chest and didn't exit. The lower shoulder shot didn't either. But the neck shot did. It died within 25-30 yards of where I first shot it so I'd say it worked.

Beretzs
Where are you at?

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I thought it was a good ol 06. Nice do everything rifle and load right there. My 30-06 rifles love the 165 Hornady sp and btsp interlocks. The SP probably shoots a shade better in them. Great hunting rifle and bullet, thanks for sharing. Doesn't get much better than that one..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BSA

Beretzs
Where are you at?

I am up in Schoharie County, NY. I pass by you, hit Binghamton and travel 100 miles Northeast.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Love to see that in more detail!

Same here.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Representing the Lefties.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice! That's a cool rifle for you Southpaws!

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
I am up in Schoharie County, NY. I pass by you, hit Binghamton and travel 100 miles Northeast.

Sounds good, it's a nice ride through that area. I was selling some steers to a guy around Oneonta, and my friend used to have some hunting spots near afton. My uncle's got a hunting cabin near Norwich, didn't go this year though.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

588 members (19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 1,989 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,234
Posts18,447,787
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.