Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#18037416 01/21/23
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Been thinking about getting one. Can anyone who's spent some time with one relay their experiences?

From what I've read or watched videos about it, it seems pretty much small game accurate, maybe a little heavy but not terribly so.

I guess the main question is reliability. To those who have one, would you stake your life on it?

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I prefer not to stake my life on any mechanical object.

If you are asking whether Ruger's are pretty reliable, the answer is going to be yes. They do tend to be.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of the old style ones, and it has been essentially bomb proof. Never have had any kind of failure. Accuracy is acceptable. Trigger is the worst trigger I have ever had on a gun. Ruger has pervasive QC issues that it appears the PC series has dodged.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I bought mine about three years ago and have been very pleased with accuracy, reliability and handling. Mine is the take down version and has a conventionally shaped synthetic stock without the shrouded barrel. If you do buy one, sure to read the section in the owner’s manual about tightening the take down feature. I put a low powered Leupold variable on mine but it would work really well with a red dot too. You can set it up to use either Ruger or Glock magazines.

I was working up a load with the Hornady 115 HP and Power Pistol and at fifty yards the four, five shot groups at different increments went: 0.7, 0.55, 0.35 and 0.6. The best load does 1.5 +/- at 100. The 115 Gold Dot went from 0.4-0.75 at fifty yds and 2”+ at 100 yds so it can pay to dink around a little with loads.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks guys!

That sounds like a heck of a good shooter. Yes, the plan is to play with different loads as you have. I'm not sure if I'll go with a dot or low power scope, but will do one of those.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are fun rifles and plenty accurate. Mine wears a Sightmark Ultra Shot R Spec red dot.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Been looking at the PC Charger of late. “Pistols” like it have certain legal advantages for concealed or open carry in my state, as well as in cars. If the recent ATF power grab holds up in court, the Charger is easily equipped with a sling in place of a brace. Accuracy tests I’ve viewed are impressive.

A range buddy has the carbine and likes it a lot. I decided that my Mini 14 is about the same size and weight and is more powerful, and paid for.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have two of the newer Ruger 9mm PC-9 carbines, one at my home in MI and the other in AZ. I fly back and forth and it's not practical to haul a bunch of guns back and forth. They are both set up with red dots. I have never had a bobble of any kind with either. They both use Glock magazines. The takedown feature has been more useful than I thought it would be, and is nice for storage and cleaning.

You can ring steel like a maniac with these neat little carbines. I consider mine to be as reliable as any other 9mm firearm.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Looking real hard at one....

Considered the 5.7x28 for a minute...then the extra cost of dies/brass/bullets

Already set up to load the 9mm so that's the direction I'm headed

Ready to pull the pin on the #19122....

Now.......red dot.........? Sig.....Holosun.....Sightmark ?

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/rug-25#product_detail

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just put a Romeo 5 on my Mini 14. Motion switch, so you can leave it on, 40,000 hours of battery, 2moa dot. I’m sold, and just ordered another one.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mine wears a Leupold Freedom RDS and I am pleased with it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Well, I picked one up locally, our Governor recently signed for no sales tax on firearms which helped a bit.

Got it home and took it apart, sopped up some of the oil that was literally dripping from it, and ran a few patches through the bore. The take down feature was appreciated here.

I took it out the next morning and put a few rounds down range with a small mix of factory loads, and a couple of hand loads. It was hitting just a bit left at 25 yards, so I bumped the sight over slightly and put the target stand at 50.

Here my vintage eyes, coupled with progressive lenses on my glasses made groups nearly impossible. The angle necessary to see the sights seemed to put my eye in line with the very edge of where there's a "transformation" in the lense of the glasses. This left me seeing two bullseyes.

Let's just say a chest size target is in real trouble at that range, while a squirrel head sized target is perfectly safe.

The carbine functioned perfectly with all loads, one of which was a hand load with a 147 grain powder coated flat point from Missouri bullet co. with BE86 powder. Most accurate seemed to be a Hornady 115gr. XTP with the same powder.

I just ordered a SIG Romeo 5 that should help with my open sight shortcomings. (Thanks for the heads up on it Pappy).

The Freedom RDS looks even better with the 1 minute dot, but will have to wait until my wallet recovers.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Just ordered one today....the #19122 as shown in pic

Along with a Holosun HS510C-FDE in Green dot

[Linked Image from ruger.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Just ordered one today....the #19122 as shown in pic

Along with a Holosun HS510C-FDE in Green dot

[Linked Image from ruger.com]

Nice, reminds me of the old Russian PPSH. I opted for the "standard" model, as I wanted to try and have for backup the ghost ring style open sights.

These things are so ugly they're almost cute, like a bulldog puppy.

Let us know how it works. I plan on trying some different loads. I'm curious what kind of velocity can be obtained from the 147 grainers.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Does the barrel touch the handguard at 12:00?

Politics is War by Other Means
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Prob won't receive Ruger for 7-10 days

I'll know then

Didn't have any Glock mags...bought the Ruger ones instead

Thought $22 a pop was good.......bought 6

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/RU...CK-SR9SR9C-9MM-17RD-BLACK#product_detail

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I learned my lesson, thankfully at my company’s expense, with progressives a long while back. I’m a bifocal guy now. Small lenses make the issue worse with both kinds.

I have a bunch of single-vision safety glasses in as close to my needed distance correction as possible. Those make irons usable for the most part, and sharpen red dots appreciatively. My correction is only +1.35, so I buy +1.5s. Perhaps someone with worse vision might not be helped as much. They offer good protection as well.

When I got semi-serious about clays, I ponied up for single-vision Decots. Worth every penny. I do have to be careful to take them off when I’m done so as not to be mistaken for an Elton John impersonator…….

What fresh Hell is this?
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

I'll know then

I have been using 27 round Magpul Glock magazines in mine. Perfect function and less than $20 a pop.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by EdM

I'll know then

I have been using 27 round Magpul Glock magazines in mine. Perfect function and less than $20 a pop.

I commited to Ruger mags

17 rd..........$22 a pop

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Is the the Springfield an improvement over the Ruger

For another $400 or so ?

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/sprgfld-st-vic-9mm-carbine-16-32rd#product_detail

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.