24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Are these worth much of anything? Don't see #9s too often. Boxes in good shape , brass on the shells is mostly shiny. One box does have a sticker on the side from the auction house. Sell em or shoot em?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BP-B2

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Save the yellow ones. Cool old boxes. Shoot the white ones. Interestingly, the white box has a 3 Dr Eq load. heavier than modern skeet loads.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had pretty much the same combo though my white box was a little better condition and no wear on the top like the middle box. Traded them to a collector at the beginning of the scamdemic for 4 boxes of modern AAs.

I believe the yellow boxed shells were 60's manufacture and the white was later 70's to mid-80's. I have 16 ga shells with the same type box as the yellows and they were compression formed but pre-AA wad hence the Mark 5 designation on the box, if I remember correctly.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I dig those old yellow boxes. I have used a bunch of those in field loads (but not skeet). I have bought and shot a lot of the white boxed stuff when I was shooting skeet.
Back in the day, a case of shells was 20 boxes not 10 like they are now.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
I dig those old yellow boxes. I have used a bunch of those in field loads (but not skeet). I have bought and shot a lot of the white boxed stuff when I was shooting skeet.
Back in the day, a case of shells was 20 boxes not 10 like they are now.
I've got one of the yellow boxes in 3" magnum #2 also.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
10 boxes is a flat and 20 boxes is a case. You see mostly flats anymore because of the price and old boys who can afford to buy a case sure hate lifting them...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mark5's were the first year for win plastic shells. (65ish)
may have some collector value but hey, in todays world...shoot em!
fyi, 3 dram skeet loads were for doubles in the day; and, to cycle those old pogo sticks called A5's and 11-48's.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Shoot them. Save the box if you like it and just refill with your reloaded or newer shells. Then come up with a good story to tell when asked about the old shells.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I had 5 boxes of each, I would pick one box of each in the worst shape and shoot a few. And save the box. Maybe sell a few single shells to collectors.

You'll still have 8 boxes of a piece of history, to keep or sell one day.

I think we all forget how new the smokeless powder cartridge is today.

A little over 100 years ago, a poor farmer may have still used a muzzleloader as his only gun.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've been shooting and reloading for 30 years I have NEVER found anyone paying more for old ammo or boxes than new loads are worth. So my advice is shoot them and enjoy. If anyone claims otherwise I have DOZENS of old powder tins and ammo boxes for you to buy if you are willing to pay more than new ammo is worth!

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mssgn
I've been shooting and reloading for 30 years I have NEVER found anyone paying more for old ammo or boxes than new loads are worth. So my advice is shoot them and enjoy. If anyone claims otherwise I have DOZENS of old powder tins and ammo boxes for you to buy if you are willing to pay more than new ammo is worth!

You're running with the wrong crowd then! Vintage ammo collectors are a strange breed of duck. I recently sold my collection (accumulation) of vintage shotshells, an even 20 boxes dating from the 1930's to 60's, and made enough to buy two cases of new AA's had I wanted to.

It takes a different breed of duck to actively seek out empty tins/boxes. Devoted cartridge/ammo collectors want full boxes and the nicer condition the more they pay. I suspect the empty ammo box movement gained traction because of shipping regulations and costs.

I used to shoot a lot of skeet, trap, Clays. Like every one else, in the beginning I believed in the Gospel of Heavy Shot Charges and shot 1 1/8oz at everything. Then I wised up and dropped to 1oz loads with commensurate lighter powder charges and found my scores improved, shoulder improved, and saved a bit of money because I was loading my own. (Every Wednesday evening I did "The MEC Shuffle" so I could shoot every weekend.) Toward the end I was playing with 3/4 & 7/8oz loads for 16 yard trap and all skeet - and my scores didn't deteriorate. Granted, I shot O/U's and SxS's so didn't need to force feed an A-5, but comrades of mine were shooting gas guns and moving into the realm of light shot charges too.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 680 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.