Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
600 yards, 6" plate for discussion's sake. More for plinking than real long range.

Although, I have access to an NRA high-power 1,000 yard range and will take it up there every once in a while.
For discussion say, Have you actually ever looked at 6” plate at 600 yards with 6 power?
A Lot to ask for
Good luck

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Each to their own, but I want more power. I can always turn my 5.5-22 down to 6 power but you can't turn a fixed 6 up

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes. The target is not large, but the image with a 6x MQ is very clear.

Originally Posted by Dre
600 yards, 6" plate for discussion's sake. More for plinking than real long range.

Although, I have access to an NRA high-power 1,000 yard range and will take it up there every once in a while.
For discussion say, Have you actually ever looked at 6” plate at 600 yards with 6 power?
A Lot to ask for
Good luck

I'm leaning in this direction.

Originally Posted by pullit
Each to their own, but I want more power. I can always turn my 5.5-22 down to 6 power but you can't turn a fixed 6 up

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Good call.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’d want at least 14 power.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Trystan
I’m leaning toward keep it simple with a 6x MQ.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I also have a spare Athlon 2-12 coming.

I've shot to 1000 with a SWFA 6 MQ. I personally prefer the 6 over the 10 because of the superior clarity. It's Definately a workable option

Trystan

When the target is as big as a sheet of plywood, a 6x will work just fine. Just sayin..
Depending on the reticle and its subtensions, MOA targets are doable out to beyond 1000 with a 6x. Is it my preference for that kind of shooting? No. But it can be done.
I'll reiterate that my point was what is possible, but just because something is possible doesn't mean that it is preferable.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
We have a 18x24 plate at 600 yrds. We put a 1" red sticker as an aiming point. While I prefer more power the aiming point is very visible with a 6X MQ SWFA. More power makes it a bit easier but any thing over 6mm impacts easy. .22cal are a bit tougher to see the impact. 10x is quite good.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I've shot to 1000 with a SWFA 6 MQ. I personally prefer the 6 over the 10 because of the superior clarity. It's Definately a workable option

Trystan

When the target is as big as a sheet of plywood, a 6x will work just fine. Just sayin..
Depending on the reticle and its subtensions, MOA targets are doable out to beyond 1000 with a 6x. Is it my preference for that kind of shooting? No. But it can be done.
I'll reiterate that my point was what is possible, but just because something is possible doesn't mean that it is preferable.

The steel plate we use at 1000 measures 12" square and painted with white paint. The 6MQ picked up the target and would put 3 shots from a plain jane tikka on that target. 3 shots is statistically what a factory tikka T3 will drive reasonably well.

At 600 yards where the OP is talking about shooting there is an advantage to the 6 MQ in that it has sufficient magnification for that distance and will record less mirage. In fact I have demonstraighted to the long range group I shoot with how they can tighten up there group at 500 yards many times by simply turning there scope down in magnifaction. I realize you understand all of this however for the general shooting community this gets lost in the noise and sometimes even among more experiences shooters it can get lost to a degree and they will open groups up by turning the magnification UP!

Magnification has a feel good effect on the eyes that can be somewhat deceiving to a degree IME

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 01/20/23.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very true.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Trystan

You’re full of scheit.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Trystan

The steel plate we use at 1000 measures 12" square and painted with white paint. The 6MQ picked up the target and would put 3 shots from a plain jane tikka on that target. 3 shots is statistically what a factory tikka T3 will drive reasonably well.

At 600 yards where the OP is talking about shooting there is an advantage to the 6 MQ in that it has sufficient magnification for that distance and will record less mirage. In fact I have demonstraighted to the long range group I shoot with how they can tighten up there group at 500 yards many times by simply turning there scope down in magnifaction. I realize you understand all of this however for the general shooting community this gets lost in the noise and sometimes even among more experiences shooters it can get lost to a degree and they will open groups up by turning the magnification UP!

Magnification has a feel good effect on the eyes that can be somewhat deceiving to a degree IME

Trystan

Pics of said range, rifle and long range shooting group.
You’re full of scheit.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Trystan

Trystan

You’re full of scheit.

Playing around 7 years ago...I cheated and used a 8X long eye relief pistol scope.
Plus, it was at 500 yards, not 600 yards.
But even with a 357 Magnum revolver, you can do pretty good.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by xphunter
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Trystan

Trystan

You’re full of scheit.

Playing around 7 years ago...I cheated and used a 8X long eye relief pistol scope.
Plus, it was at 500 yards, not 600 yards.
But even with a 357 Magnum revolver, you can do pretty good.

No doubt it’s possible.

Trystan is FOS though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can’t believe we have to go through this schit again.

Anyone who thinks a 6X scope is optimal for a long range rifle is a Fuggen moron

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I can’t believe we have to go through this schit again.

Anyone who thinks a 6X scope is optimal for a long range rifle is a Fuggen moron

Yes

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Shooting for precision vs shooting for hits seems to be the line between the two arguments.

Hard copy on you can dial magnification down if necessary but not up with a fixed scope.

John Stark.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
David, you are getting some good advice. Some of it is mixed, though, as we would expect. I think the guys running 6x scopes have eyes like an eagle. I myself would be searching around just to find the target, even a huge target at 600 yards. You just have to figure out how much you are willing to pay, quality of glass and scope brand. What I see a lot of where I shoot longrange varmint silhouette is high power scopes. A lot of Nightforce, Vortex, high end Leupolds (very few though), US Optics, Schmidt and Bender, and even some Athlon and Tract Toric's as of late. These guys shoot well enough that if they had scope issues, they would not be using them. I play it safe and rely on my Nightforce rifle scopes. Even the lesser SHV models track well and have pretty good glass. The reticles are excellent for bracketing the targets I shoot at, which tend to be smaller than what most guys shoot at, I guess.. Yesterday I was tagging a 2" diameter plate with one of my CTR rifles that wears a 5-20x56 Nightforce rifle scope. To be fair, I was also hammering it with my new 22-250 running a new Zeiss V4 4-16x44 with #94 reticle. The lesser magnification and somewhat lesser glass had me straining a bit more, trying to focus on the 2" diameter steel plate. I'm not going to argue with the guys that say they can use a 6x rifle scope at 1,000 yards, more power to them. My eyes are just not capable of that. I'd have to use brail or a white cane to find the target. I'm surprised you aren't getting more suggestions for some of the newer scopes, like the Athlon and Tract Toric's. They really seem to track well, from what I've seen and they are not super high priced. One I'd stay away from are the first gen Vortex Razors, as I have seen a few fail. The newer 3rd gen Razors seem to be exceptional though. Going back to my shooting yesterday, I remember quite clearly as I went from one rifle wearing the new Zeiss V4 to the CTR wearing the SHV Nightforce, that I thought to myself the glass in the Nightforce is much better. The Zeiss cost's around $1,000.00 where the NF is in the ballpark of $1,200.00. I'd gladly spend the extra $200 to get the better glass. Tracking seems to be close to the same, but I have not taken the Zeiss past 400 yards yet. I've dialed the SHV to 1,400 yards and it tracks like a blood hound and returns to zero perfectly every time.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My best suggestion is to play around with both scopes you ask about and see which one works better for you. If neither one tracks well enough, or you are struggling to see the target at 600 yards, send them down the road and upgrade.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
BSA. Good post.

I think I’ll move one of my higher magnification scopes on this CTR and see how that works.

I have another, a CTR-ish in 6.5 Creedmoor that’s a sporter barrel cut down to 20” threaded and in a CTR stock.

Probably drop the Athlon 2-12 on that one just to keep the weight under control.

John Stark.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How much magnification works depends on many factors. You mentioned a 6" plate at 600 yards. I haven't used an Athlon scope so I can't comment directly on that. With respect to the 2-12 magnification range, 12x would be plenty if the resolution of the scope and reticle are suitable.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
BSA. Good post.

I think I’ll move one of my higher magnification scopes on this CTR and see how that works.

I have another, a CTR-ish in 6.5 Creedmoor that’s a sporter barrel cut down to 20” threaded and in a CTR stock.

Probably drop the Athlon 2-12 on that one just to keep the weight under control.

Good Call.
E

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.