Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don’t have one, but have often wished that I had bought one in the Model 88 Win. after getting mine in .308 Win. It would have been better in the thickets of Central Louisiana than the little .308! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/19/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Earlier I did a post about the BLR and cartridge favorites. I was looking at 308 vs 358, if I could find one. Fate and luck were with me.
I was surprised by the support for the 7-08. A little bit for the 30-06 with the 308 seeming to be the favorite.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Consider the 308 WCF and its ability to shoot 110 gr-200 gr loads for any big game hunting and predator dispatch. While the 358 WCF has its merits, it’s not near as versatile in long range work. A .35 cal 225 gr vs a .30 cal 200 gr, both at around 2,500 fps is for all intense purposes of equal authority. Granted the 358 has a 16% increase in frontal area, but the 308 will have much better bullet designs, much higher BC and greater Sectional Density. The 358 is a good one, however stamped brass and loaded ammunition are far and few between, the 308 however is available in every configuration and truth be told gives up nothing in the field to the 358, the same can’t be said for the 358 when going light or long distance and looking at the versatility for the 308.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Consider the 308 WCF and its ability to shoot 110 gr-200 gr loads for any big game hunting and predator dispatch. While the 358 WCF has its merits, it’s not near as versatile in long range work. A .35 cal 225 gr vs a .30 cal 200 gr, both at around 2,500 fps is for all intense purposes of equal authority. Granted the 358 has a 16% increase in frontal area, but the 308 will have much better bullet designs, much higher BC and greater Sectional Density. The 358 is a good one, however stamped brass and loaded ammunition are far and few between, the 308 however is available in every configuration and truth be told gives up nothing in the field to the 358, the same can’t be said for the 358 when going light or long distance and looking at the versatility for the 308.
Yep. Hard to beat an 308win for the reason you've mentioned. I've always wanted a 358win and thought of reboring my BLR to one but it's just more useful in it 308win configuration.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Mine is a pre '81 straight grip in .358. It's my "go to" rifle for hunting bear, deer and elk here in Washington. I've got dozens of other rifles that I hunt with but this .358 is my favorite. I generally keep ranges within 200 yards and it works like the hammer of Thor. One thing to remember, the magazines for these early steel frame guns are expensive to replace (They go for $200 to $300 when you can find them.) so don't break them or lose them.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would like to have the pistol grip version of the BLR.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I stumbled into it...I called a LGS and asked. He had o e coming in on trade. The guy wanted $1250 and the shop thought it was too much. I thought that was reasonable. Supposedly was traded to another shop but that shop knew nothing about it.
I found another one on an auction site. I was able to get that one and have it shipped to my usual shop. All total it cost me $1600 to get into my hands. It did come with a nice Burris scope and was a 95+%.

So check the auctions and call shops in driving distance every coue of weeks... if you find one at a decent price grab it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you see any, the old 200 grain Silvertip and Power Point Grey box is pretty accurate in mine and works great on deer.

The Brownings are 1-12 and do well with about anything you can fit in the magazine.

The Sierra 225 is my favorite deer bullet and always very accurate. Expands wide and leaves a lot of blood if they run much which they don’t typically.

Semper Fi
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by WStrayer
I stumbled into it...I called a LGS and asked. He had o e coming in on trade. The guy wanted $1250 and the shop thought it was too much. I thought that was reasonable. Supposedly was traded to another shop but that shop knew nothing about it.
I found another one on an auction site. I was able to get that one and have it shipped to my usual shop. All total it cost me $1600 to get into my hands. It did come with a nice Burris scope and was a 95+%.

So check the auctions and call shops in driving distance every coue of weeks... if you find one at a decent price grab it.

Mine shoots the Speer 180 better than anything else but will do very well with about anything I put in it. Keep the Speer 180 FN's below 2600 fps or they do not hold together . They still kill like lightning but ruin lots of meat. My load is 43 grains of H 4198 which gives right at 2711 average and just destroys the bullet even with a soft tissue shot but is so accurate I just can't not use it. The bullet is really a great .35 Remington bullet which I believe is what it was intended for. If you want to shoot lighter bullets fast in the .358 look at some of the Hawk bullets or the Fury stuff with slightly thicker jackets. Not sure what thickness the Speers are but it must be pretty thin compared to other .358 bullets.

PS: Looks like I quoted the wrong post, meant to quote your earlier one where you mentioned the 180 grain Speer bullets.

Last edited by EddieSouthgate; 01/21/23.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
A few months ago I sold some of my Speer 180s to a guy to help him out. Now I am looking for more...
Speer says they are coming.

Last edited by WStrayer; 01/21/23.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by WStrayer
A few months ago I sold some of my Speer 180s to a guy to help him out. Now I am looking for more...
Speer says they are coming.

I stocked up before everything got short. Also bought a bunch of 200 grain Core Lokt in RN and SP both . I shoot .35 Remington as well as .358 .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by RickcNY
What’s everyone’s thoughts of the browning BLR in 358?

I have just recently acquired a couple of the steel receiver and straight stock Model 81's in 308 & 358. I have not shot either, yet. I bought the 308 first. I had given up on finding a 358 Winchester in decent shape at a price that I was willing to pay.

I think the BLR and the 358 Winchester are a near perfect match.
My personal view is if I am hunting in area with shots over 200 yards, I will be carrying something other than my lever guns. The 358 Winchester is ideal-plus for me.

I was fortunate enough to find 358 Winchester brass, reloading dies, and my choice of Hammer Bullets within a couple of hours.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like the 178 Hammer over RL-7.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
BLR in 358 was my first Alaskan rifle. Used it lots and eventually got the rifle to 6lbs. Was a dream to carry.

I did have a couple failures to fire. Once on a caribou in 30 below zero weather and once on a fall time moose. The slop of rotating bolt lock-up combine with a complicated firing pin, combined with old gummy gun oil in a rifle that shouldn't be taken apart was the cause.

The rifle was loaned out and frog lube and/or rem-oil was used in it. Flog lube eventually turns to sticky gummy crap. It is terrible in cold weather environments.

What I eventually did, was pull the buttstock, shucked the bolt open and soaked the action in a gallon jug of sea foam. Rifle sat there for a week. Followed up with compressed air and the light primer strike issue went away.

The blr has the strongest extractor out of any lever action I've ever owned. I've owned savage 99, marlin 1894 and 1895, marlin 256 win mag, browning 95 and win mod 94.

*if you have an old blr with God knows how many different brands of gun oil in the thing, shuck the fkn bolt open and soak it in sea foam.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 01/25/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ldmay375
Originally Posted by RickcNY
What’s everyone’s thoughts of the browning BLR in 358?

I have just recently acquired a couple of the steel receiver and straight stock Model 81's in 308 & 358. I have not shot either, yet. I bought the 308 first. I had given up on finding a 358 Winchester in decent shape at a price that I was willing to pay.

I think the BLR and the 358 Winchester are a near perfect match.
My personal view is if I am hunting in area with shots over 200 yards, I will be carrying something other than my lever guns. The 358 Winchester is ideal-plus for me.

I was fortunate enough to find 358 Winchester brass, reloading dies, and my choice of Hammer Bullets within a couple of hours.

I’d agree. The BLR and 358 are danged good together.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I saw a new one for sale, I knew they rarely come up so I grabbed it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And enough ammo to keep me stocked for many years.

Now I just gotta find something willing to commit suicide in front of it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
When I saw a new one for sale, I knew they rarely come up so I grabbed it.

And enough ammo to keep me stocked for many years.

Now I just gotta find something willing to commit suicide in front of it.

Dayum! That’s dang nice.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
BLR in 358 was my first Alaskan rifle. Used it lots and eventually got the rifle to 6lbs. Was a dream to carry.

I did have a couple failures to fire. Once on a caribou in 30 below zero weather and once on a fall time moose. The slop of rotating bolt lock-up combine with a complicated firing pin, combined with old gummy gun oil in a rifle that shouldn't be taken apart was the cause.

The rifle was loaned out and frog lube and/or rem-oil was used in it. Flog lube eventually turns to sticky gummy crap. It is terrible in cold weather environments.

What I eventually did, was pull the buttstock, shucked the bolt open and soaked the action in a gallon jug of sea foam. Rifle sat there for a week. Followed up with compressed air and the light primer strike issue went away.

The blr has the strongest extractor out of any lever action I've ever owned. I've owned savage 99, marlin 1894 and 1895, marlin 256 win mag, browning 95 and win mod 94.

*if you have an old blr with God knows how many different brands of gun oil in the thing, shuck the fkn bolt open and soak it in sea foam.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Not many people put their stuff through that kind of real world testing. Thanks for sharing! That is such a cool picture by the way

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
The worst is WD40..
We don't get real cold weather here in PA but I always use GunScru ber on the firing pin channel.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I like the 178 Hammer over RL-7.

DF

I am going to try the 203 grain Shock Hammer.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
783 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 88 invisible), 3,088 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.