Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Heresy to some I’m sure but I’ve given each of the grandsons theirs, sold the rest and now have only one and I really am fond of it and of how it performs. It was the one that I grabbed every time I go out. So…

Browning Hells Canyon Speed model in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Trijicon 2x10x56 with the fiber optic green iridium illuminated mil dot.

The grandsons can draw straws for this one when I’m gone.

Pistols are another matter though. Probably time to start ramping back on those also but I just can’t seem to get it in gear!

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’m pretty content with what I have now, after making some changes in the lineup. I have some nice light hunting rifles now, plus a few 98s, a couple of falling-block singles, and some fun guns. Still get an itch once in awhile when I see something new and interesting, but taking a deep breath usually takes care of that. I certainly don’t lack for stuff to shoot or futz around with. I’ll have a lot of free time this Spring and early Summer to fiddle with stuff, so plan on making a lot of smoke.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guns are cheaper to trade than Wifes.
I learned that the hard way. frown

I am just your average Joe.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've sold 3-5 guns to buy nice customs a few times (NULAs, GA Precision, etc.). I always played with the customs for a few months and then became bored / disappointed with them and sold them. I have generally missed the guns I liquidated to fund the expensive gun. I've sold a lot of solid guns to end up owning more expensive, lesser guns. Slow learner.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I've sold 3-5 guns to buy nice customs a few times (NULAs, GA Precision, etc.). I always played with the customs for a few months and then became bored / disappointed with them and sold them. I have generally missed the guns I liquidated to fund the expensive gun. I've sold a lot of solid guns to end up owning more expensive, lesser guns. Slow learner.

That sucks man. I've bought one of your rifles. Looks like you were recently selling another Extreme weather. I hope you find what you are looking for buddy. I'm wondering if you learned to work on your own rifles to make them what you want, it could help? Glass bedding, trigger work and knowing what kind of stock works on a rifle to optimize it helps big time buddy. The EW 30-06 I bought from you about 10 years ago went into a Mcmillan edge stock and it was rock solid. Probably better than most customs.. I have a problem of buying them, fixing them up, making them sub moa shooters and then hanging on to them. I don't sell too often..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Heresy to some I’m sure but I’ve given each of the grandsons theirs, sold the rest and now have only one and I really am fond of it and of how it performs. It was the one that I grabbed every time I go out. So…

Browning Hells Canyon Speed model in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Trijicon 2x10x56 with the fiber optic green iridium illuminated mil dot.

The grandsons can draw straws for this one when I’m gone.

Pistols are another matter though. Probably time to start ramping back on those also but I just can’t seem to get it in gear!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

That sucks man. I've bought one of your rifles. Looks like you were recently selling another Extreme weather. I hope you find what you are looking for buddy. I'm wondering if you learned to work on your own rifles to make them what you want, it could help? Glass bedding, trigger work and knowing what kind of stock works on a rifle to optimize it helps big time buddy. The EW 30-06 I bought from you about 10 years ago went into a Mcmillan edge stock and it was rock solid. Probably better than most customs.. I have a problem of buying them, fixing them up, making them sub moa shooters and then hanging on to them. I don't sell too often..

I sold the EW .308 because I wanted to try a Benelli Lupo just because I've had such good luck with Benelli shotguns and wanted to try their bolt-action rifle. These days I try to sell one for most anything that I buy.

Regarding my first comment, I've been disappointed with customs I've bought from big-name makers. I've yet to find one that lived up to the claims made by the makers and customers but am sure somewhere they're out there. As you mention, I've generally had much better luck with tweaked factory rifles than I have had with big-name customs.

Pieced together customs have also been great for me (someone does the barrel and metal, someone else the bluing, myself or dad do stock work, etc.). As an example, I've found the the guy that is best at bluing and finish is often not the best at chambering. Piecing it together really gives one the ability to have the best person do the task at which they excel. I'm competent to do bedding, some trigger work, some stock inletting and minor gunsmithing. My dad has skills that rival most custom gunsmiths. He's been a part of a couple of really nice rifles builds for me.

I had a close friend that I met on this forum 15 years ago die of an unexpected heart attack at a fairly young age in 2021. He and I traded nice guns back and forth, drank Scotch, talked life and theology and encouraged each other to buy guns neither of us needed. My friend's death plus some other things that have happened since 2019 were really eye-opening for me. My focus was on the wrong things, and my gun hobby needed to be put in its place.

For me these days, Loving God and striving to love others as Christ loves us is number 1. Family is number 2. Maintaining good habits for health number 3. Work and running my businesses is number 4. Guns and other things fall quiet a bit farther down on the list and for me can be a substitute to fill a hole left by not focusing on number 1 on the list.

For those of us in the Christian Faith, loving others as we should is a life-long struggle that few if any accomplish in this world. I've found I need to intentionally lessen or remove things in my life that get in the way of that. Thank you, God, for your grace.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
^^^
Excellent post, DMD.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just sold another one that I wasn't using. Not much left.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
GUILTY, Sold here and there

Browning 52,
Abolt 22,
Mountie Marlin 22.

BSA Majestic
Nikko Golden Eagle
Coon Texas Mag.
Omega bolt
Voere (not mauser)
Howa/Mossberg

Mausers:
Venezuelan
1895 - Lowe
Peruvian 30-06
CZ Brno 21
2 Daly Zastava
Mex 24 carbine

IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
475 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.