J
JeffP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Please PM if you have hunted or know this unit
TIA

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Only been an observer on elk hunts there but know it pretty well. Next to no trees, white antlered, sun bleached bulls with broken tines seem to be prominent.

Friend had a cow tag and we’d see 15-30 bulls a day but it took several days to finally find a cow.

No need to PM in my mind for this kind of info.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have max points in Wyoming and hope to draw this unit someday. From my research at one time it was a place to kill a 300-325 bull but many years ago they doubled the amount of tags and quality has went down hill.

It used to be talked about as a legitimate trophy unit but I hardly ever see it mentioned anymore.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
It’s about the best use of max points.

J
JeffP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Does anyone know of someone that would pack out meat?

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I doubt there's anyone willing to pack meat for you in that area, other than maybe an outfitter who might entertain the idea. There's a group called "U tag, we drag" out of the Jackson area, but I am not aware of anyone around Rock Springs/Rawlins.

Unit 100 is a good elk unit if a guy's desire is to glass a lot and get a mature bull. The downside is, it is a total desert hunt (other than maybe around Steamboat Mountain or the buttes further north) and just doesn't seem like 'elk hunting", to me at least. I also think there's a mineral lacking out there in their diet. Added to that the bull/cow ratio is heavily biased towards it being a trophy bull hunt and with the lack of trees sun bleaching the antlers, the result is a LOT of broken and busted up bulls.

I know a lot of elk migrate into the area from the Winds and elsewhere come winter, but during the bull season you'll be hunting the resident desert herd. There's a lot of bulls in there, but be aware of the factors I mentioned.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It would be a fun place to hunt for elk, but not if you're looking for a great big one. Wouldn't need a "packer" as the country if flat as a pancake compared to most elk country.

The unit to the South of there, 124, different story on size. That would be a fun place to have a bull elk permit, but odds are, even with max points, you'll continue to wait for a decade or so before drawing.

Last edited by Greenhorn; 01/22/23.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Some good bulls still come out of 100. No packer needed as stated, it is the Red Desert.
You'll drive around the areas elk frequent to hunt.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
...a little late to this conversation.

I have been fascinated by this Red Desert herd. No trees, white antlers, vast sagebrush prairie. A remarkable change from the usual elk habitat.

For a while I lived in Rock Springs which is south of unit 100. I spent a lot of my time wandering around that unit chasing coyotes and antelope. I observed that herd may times and have been fascinated by them. I found a water supply out in the middle of the sagebrush where they would regularly visit. I figured if I drew out I would set up downwind and wait for them to show up in the evening.

But alas, I have never been able to draw out on that unit.

As for getting someone to help pack out the meat, a couple of thoughts:
As Greenhorn pointed out, on that unit you should be able to get pretty close to a downed animal with a good 4x4 rig or ATV.
One strategy I've heard of is to find a bar or cafe in the small towns in WY where wranglers and ranchers often hang out and hire them to haul out the meat. In the fall they are often done with a lot of the work and are willing to help out with such a request.

I have resigned myself the probability that I will be about Biden's age when/if I draw out on that unit, but I still try.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
scoped it out a bunch when the wife was working in rock springs

the draw is that the bulls are prevalent and you can find them. and tons of public land. i see more bigger bulls over here more often. man there was a tank the other day.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Didn’t hunt elk last year but hunted antelope south of Oregon Butts last year. Easily saw 100+ elk in the several days I was there. Largest one was ~340”. It would be a neat area to hunt elk if drawn.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.