My son called me this afternoon to go for coyotes on a farm up the street. We settled in around 4:15 or so and we ducked to the edge of the field and he set up the caller and decoy out 50 - 60 yards. Wind was blowing from the west.

A small bob cat comes running up the road south to north, little one. Banks a right to the decoy, discovers it’s not good for eating and runs off.
20 minutes later we hear coyotes howling and not far, likely less than a hundred or so yards away. My son sees the them through the woods a hundred yards or so in a field to the north that has a row of oaks running east and west that separate our field from the other to the north.

The coyotes disappear. Apparently they cut east to stalk into the wind; my son hears them walking through the woods to his right. East to west, hold into the wind.

Two come from our right and the one in the rear turns about face, my son barks at it and the first one stops. He pumps five shots as the dog is spinning like a top. I have a Savage A 17 HMR with a MINOX scope. I take a shot and he drops like a stone, shot behind the ear and out the eye socket. A BIG MALE. Love that scope, got it on the fire.

The yote had a dangling leg at the shoulder and guts spilling out. Tough critters. We have had 3 on camera all deer season. Now there is one less. Mating season is starting in CT.

We wont’ go back to this spot for at least a week or more and hit another spot we deer hunt and have seen at least two coyotes and 3 bobcats - a northern and two born likely this year.