Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
There seems to be a general consensus amongst the Rag writers that the Ruglin's are the second coming of Christ. Compared to the trash Remlin was shipping out the doors, anything was an improvement. But now that I've had a chance to put my hands on a few different guns, I'm feeling pretty "meh" about them, and certainly not give up any of my JM's for one. They rant about "smoothness" and tighter tolerances. I'm not feeling it. I hate the "chrominess" of the bolt, and the shiny "black plum" laminated stock I think is hideous. And the red Bulleye, while I can appreciate the homage, makes it look like something from Playschool IMO.

I fear they are gonna go the route of the 1911's. First ones out were not bad. Followed by years of so so. But this "not bad" era seems to be lacking already.

Feelings?

Last edited by RAM; 01/22/23. Reason: Spelling

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have only have Remington Marlins and JM stamped Marlins, well a Mossberg too.
I’ve had troubles with a Marlin 39 A feeding. It’s at a gunsmith.
I’ve had troubles with a Remington Marlin 45-70 the loading gate dropped -a problem when feeding the cartridge slow.
I’ve had troubles with a Mossberg with the clamp that holds the feed tube. I replaced it with a Marlin clamp.

Fit and finish is a half a dozen of one vs 6 of the other regarding Remington vs. JM. The Mossberg shoots well, the stock is birch the tube clamp was weak.

The accuracy on each seems to be very good. I’m not sure if one brand is better than another.

When the Ruger Marlins come to a reasonable price I’ll buy one. I think their prices are too high right now.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting. As bad as I want to I have not been able to get one in my hands to examine it yet

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've handled at least a dozen of the Ruger stainless/laminates so far and can't detect any major difference between the three "vintages". I'll have a better opinion after I see one of the new walnut/blued 336s in the flesh. I personally wish they'd have gone back to uncheckered wood. Those uncheckered Marlins of my childhood just looked so much better to my eyes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I personally wish they'd have gone back to uncheckered wood. Those uncheckered Marlins of my childhood just looked so much better to my eyes.
You and me both. I doubt I'll ever buy one of the Rugerlins, though if they were ever to chamber the 1894 in .327 Fed. I'd be tempted.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I've handled at least a dozen of the Ruger stainless/laminates so far and can't detect any major difference between the three "vintages". I'll have a better opinion after I see one of the new walnut/blued 336s in the flesh. I personally wish they'd have gone back to uncheckered wood. Those uncheckered Marlins of my childhood just looked so much better to my eyes.
I think the difference is how they function.

Too many complained about function of the Remington built Marlins. I think if they were disassembled and deburred/polished and tuned up they were okay.

My buds boy had a big loop laminated 45-70 that wouldn't feed correctly about 75% of the time, factory loads and handloads. Something told me the back of the loading gate was rough or timing was off.

He swapped it for an older long barrel model and both parties are happy.

Has Ruger deleted the stupid QR code etching from the side of the Marlin receivers??

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/23/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Still didn't hear what twist they are doing on 44s

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've had the opportunity to hunt and shoot one of the last year's JM 336 to come from Marlin. I hate to say it but it is truly a budget gun based on it's build. It came from the factory with pitting in the barrel and the lever is not smooth to run at all. In fact, the lever screw has a habit of loosening with use. The wood is meh at best with fit and finish being mediocre. Growing up, I look at the Marlin levers as "starter guns". Cheap and readily available. I have to believe that modern improvements and new machinery on the line will make for a better made firearm.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by devnull
I've had the opportunity to hunt and shoot one of the last year's JM 336 to come from Marlin. I hate to say it but it is truly a budget gun based on it's build. It came from the factory with pitting in the barrel and the lever is not smooth to run at all. In fact, the lever screw has a habit of loosening with use. The wood is meh at best with fit and finish being mediocre. Growing up, I look at the Marlin levers as "starter guns". Cheap and readily available. I have to believe that modern improvements and new machinery on the line will make for a better made firearm.
The lever screws have always loosened with use. That's why they make screwdrivers and Loc-Tite

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Affordable, not good used car prices, and in old school chamberings. Then I'd buy.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to offend JM lovers, but the rifles from Remington look a lot nicer.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
T
I've read that the last production Marlins were assembled with what ever parts were over.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
Not to offend JM lovers, but the rifles from Remington look a lot nicer.
yeah, I loved the big gaps where the butt stocks were supposed to butt against the receiver, the forends cut off square where they met the receiver, the canted sights, improperly indexed barrels, poorly sanded and finished stocks, fuzzy, indistinct checkering with nothing resembling a sharp diamond and sharp edges on the levers of those Remlins. Honestly I just don't know how the fugg some people judge quality but the Remlins weren't it. Since Ruger rarely builds a firearm with their own name on it that doesn't have issues, I don't expect the Ruglins to be a big improvement over the Remlins.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As others have posted ^ ^ ^ ^

Won't be paying $1000 and up myself

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mossberg 472 was not a Marlin product.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O.k., let"s take up a collection for Bugger. He's obviously blind with no sense of feeling. 🤣

RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That's because no 1894's yet. But micro groove is gone for sure.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RAM
That's because no 1894's yet. But micro groove is gone for sure.

How did the Ruglin's shoot for you? Thanks.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
At price points over $1000, I just can’t get that enthusiastic about Marlins, anymore. Guess I’m officially becoming an “old fart”. I guess a price point of $600-$800 is expecting too much, these days. Just bought too many 39’s, 336’s, and 1894’s in the $200-$500 price range, even up until 2-3 years ago, to feel the urge...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,085
Posts18,463,914
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.