Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Plain is ok… but I’ve seen leaks put in with it, and tomatoes… that’s really nice.

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Step 1: put em in a pot
Step 2: take pot outside
Step 3: dump pot contents on the ground
Step 4: do whatever it is you were doing before you wanted lentils for dinner

I'm kidding, I love lentils with Indian food. Lentils are fantastic but you have to make sure you don't over cook them!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Golden lentils with sausage.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Lentil soup with carrots, onions, potatoes chunks and ham. With a nice crusty roll. Pretty much like pea.soup. mom used to use ox tails instead of ham, they were cheap and tasty when I was a kid.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I followed the recipe on the bag - way too salty …

So I thought - there must be a better way

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/23/23.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lentil soup with very, very thin sliced leeks, some carrots and a generous amount of chopped up home made bacon.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Moroccan chicken and lentils

8 cups water
3 teaspoons salt, divided
1 pound dried brown lentils, rinsed, drained

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons ground cumin, divided
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced

1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped fresh parsley

Combine 8 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt in heavy large saucepan over high heat. Add lentils; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well; rinse with cold water and drain again. Place in large bowl.

Whisk 1 cup olive oil, vinegar, 2 tablespoons cumin, 2 tablespoons chili powder, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt in large measuring cup. Pour 1 cup dressing over warm lentils and toss. Cool.

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over high heat. Add onion; sauté until dark brown and soft, about 5 minutes. Add chicken; sauté minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon cumin, 2 teaspoons chili powder, and cinnamon. Sauté until chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.

Arrange lentils on large platter. Place sliced chicken atop lentils. Drizzle with remaining dressing and sprinkle with parsley.

Can serve at room temp. We prefer warm. 1/2 volume dressing is usually fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to make lentil soup, long ago and far away. Ham bone, can of tomatoes, onion, chicken broth, and dried lentils. Might try it again while I’m batching it.

As I recall, lentil soup is considerably less gassy than the same sort of bean soup, a good thing for the environment…….

Would like to find some smoked turkey parts for this, but might have to wait for Easter, or maybe Thanksgiving. Seems like the ham hocks and other smoked meat products have disappeared from the meat counter of late.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Middle Eastern red lentil soup: Two boxes of chicken broth (32 oz. each), 1-1/2 cups of red lentils, 1 cup each of chopped carrots, celery, and onion. Spices: 1 tbsp. cumin, 1 tbsp. turmeric, 1/2 tbsp. smoked paprika. Oh - 1/2 tbsp. garlic. Sautee the vegetables until tender, then add the spices and let them "bloom". Then add the broth. When the broth boils, add the lentils. Lower heat, and cook for 30 minutes. It's a very different thing from traditional lentil or pea soup made with a meat base. My wife has something called acalasia, a digestive disease. She can't take any spicy food, but loves this soup. You can adjust the spices to your taste or add more lentils if you want a thicker soup. I find that 1-1/2 to 2 cups of lentils is good, not too thin and not too thick.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.