Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Takman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Looking for recipes for elk burger patties. Let’s see them.

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I never add anything to the grind. Greek seasoning, a little seasoned salt a dash of sage. Only turn once on the grill

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would make it just like deer burger. I trim it up tight and add back pork or beef fat to our preference. We season when we cook it. Normally something like a little salt pepper onion powder garlic salt. Not too much but we really like it that way.

T
Takman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Burger is ground with a little pork added, looking for which seasoning to add.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Elk meat is too lean to just grind without adding some fat. I usually add about 10% beef fat. Once it's ground, it won't keep in the freezer nearly as long as whole meat. I fill 1 gal freezer bags with whole meat scraps and grind it as we need it. A bag will weigh about 5lb. I make most of it into patties as we grind it. Refreezing doesn't hurt it at all.
We don't add any spices before freezing. We usually add some garlic salt when we fry them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We do not like dry, crumbly grilled burgers. We always add about 10% to 15% beef suet (fat) by weight to our burger! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/23/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Grind elk meat. Form into burger patties. Cook it.

If you demand more fat, I'd suggest mixing in beef tallow before you form your patties. Word to the wise, form your patties the day before and let them rest in the fridge over night, they will hold together better.

Seasoning? Lawrys or Montreal steak.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 01/23/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a LEM burger press. I make patties as we grind it and put burger papers between them. I'll freeze them in bags of about a dozen burgers. Take them out and put them on the grill still frozen. They work great. They won't keep as long as meat so don't grind too much at once.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Our burger is used as though it were beef burger. We never make burgers at the time of grinding, merely double wrap in one pound units…..there’s only two of us, first in plastic wrap eliminating all air and then freezer paper.

The packages can then be thawed, and used for any one of a multitude of uses, soup/chili, spaghetti/meat sauce, Taco Salad, homemade dips, casserole, ect., ect. …..can even make patties for the grill! 😉

Probably, about 90% of our elk goes to burger! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/23/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't add anything as I us most of it for spaghetti, ,tacos, chilis, enchiladas. etc. As mentioned though only flip the burgers once and they won't come apart

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I thaw a pound and then spread it out on a serving plate about the thickness of the burgers, then put worcestershite sauce and some hot sauce on and then cover it with Montreal seasoning, then grill.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
When I want burger for patties I grind it coarse once then mix in chopped bacon and regrind. Form in patties with paper between the patties ,bag and refreeze. Pry apart frozen as many as I want and grill. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ground Elk is too lean alone for a good juicy burger

Yes adding fat defeats the purpose of lean ground Elk

Ground beef at 85/15 makes the best smash burgers

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We never add fat to elk or deer meat. Ruins the taste of wild game in my opinion.

For burgers, I like Pappy’s seasoning salt and garlic salt for spices. Only flip once when grilling. Don’t over cook. If you’re worried about a dry burger, rub with a little olive oil.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I failed to mention the cooking of elk burgers (15% suet) ……grilled with an adequate amount of Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning.

Tony’s is great with darn near everything……we’ll, maybe not ice cream. I’ll save you the disappointment with that! memtb

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Ground Elk is too lean alone for a good juicy burger

Yes adding fat defeats the purpose of lean ground Elk

Ground beef at 85/15 makes the best smash burgers

Same here.That is the only beef we buy. Costco in 6-7 pound packs. It has been pretty cheap lately, but not as cheap as whole pork loin.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/23/23.

T
Takman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Good stuff. Keep it coming.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I buy pork shoulder/butt roast when on sale in bulk.

I add 20% shoulder 80% wild game. ( deer/elk)

Grill on to of tinfoil to set patty firm before I char on direct grill.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Season it like you would any other burger?

SPG is a good starting point.

Seasoning salt?

Steak seasoning?

Could get wild and mix garlic, Worcestershire and some butter and do smash burgers. I'm my experience, 10-15% fat isn't enough for a good smash burger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Salt, pepper, onion salt, garlic powder, cayenne, brown sugar, and smoked paparika. Pretty tasty

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (6mmbrfan, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,543 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.