24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's no surprise. The latest is the proposed Lava Ridge Wind Project. It's a massive wind farm in so. Idaho that's spread over 4 counties mostly on public land. It's proposed to be about 400 windmills. It'll be the largest public land wind project in the US and the 2d largest overall. Most of the power will go to Vegas and so. CA leaving Idaho with nothing but environmental damage. It's life expectancy is only 30 years. Only a fool would think that the land will ever be returned to it's natural state when the project is no long productive.

[Linked Image from images.squarespace-cdn.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Liberals and Californians (I know, same thing) are a plague of locusts. They take and destroy everywhere they go.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They want out-of state wind power, water from the Columbia piped to them, and yet they want to breach all the dams in the NW quad of the country.

California is a stain on the nation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While I agree with you, Those landowners will gladly take the money regardless of where the power is going.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I quess the wind doesn't blow in Nevada or California.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Heym06
I quess the wind doesn't blow in Nevada or California.

Don't most winds blow TOWARD Caifornia? "California Sucks!"

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
To be located MOSTLY on public land. In Idaho, that usually mean BLM (most likely) or forest service.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They tried to put a bunch on the mountain just east of Albion, ID. My dad lives there so he went to the meeting and asked one question that set the whole thing back for years. He asked to see they're environmental impact study. They hadn't done one.

Once the left gets full totalitarian control of the people like they have in China this green energy stuff will mostly go away. They'll be mining coal again and drilling like mad. They're just using it now as a weapon against capitalism. Trying anything they can to make life worse for everyone until they have all the power.

About 30 years from now the only people using the windmills will be those rebels trying to live off grid outside of the mega cities. It'll be some freedom lovers tapped into an old windmill to power the lights in the cave they are hiding in from the government.

The uni-party ruling members will go back to gas cars and everyone else will ride the train from their 300' apartment to the factory everyday. Hunter Biden will be rolling in Joe's old vette, with a couple of underage hookers and a Crack pipe, between the various Biden estate homes still trying to spend all the money he got from China, the Ukraine, and Russia.

The only things those windmills do is help keep the birds of prey populations in check and waste the citizens money.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And those on the $$ train will shill for the project whether it makes sense or not.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
$$$ will always prevail.

AND

Cali doesn't need water... they have a damn ocean.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's not just the windmills. The project will necessitate them building 480 miles of new roads in the desert. That's enough to reach from Twin Falls to Las Vegas. Ya think that might impact the environment a bit?

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those things are littering the palouse of Washington. They killed one of my historically productive elk hunting areas......and they look great in the process.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have wind generates here, I don't like, nor want one.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
+1. For an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). An EIS takes about 2 to 4 years and costs millions of dollars, paid for by the project proponents and supervised by the BLM. The EIS requires:

1. Exhaustive detailed study of the existing environment,
2. Inventory of all sensitive or endangered plants, animals or bugs,
3. Study of all environmental alternatives and mitigation measures to reduce impacts and selection of the Preferred Alternative.
4. Design of a reclamation plan to return the site to as closely as possible to preexisting conditions, and funding a reclamation bond to pay for this reclamation in the future.

The EIS process ends in a Record of Decision (ROD) approving the project as defined by the Preferred Alternative, or denying the project.

* Here's the good part. Project opponents can appeal the ROD to the BLM for real or imagined errors or defects which can take about a year. Then if the appeal is denied, project opponents can file a lawsuit in federal court requesting the court to overturn the ROD and issue a temporary injunction stopping any construction. If errors are found, the court can overturn the ROD, or send it back to the BLM for more work to correct the errors.. This court process can take several years. Then the corrected ROD is issued and can be lawsuited again.

* Here's the best part. If the opponents prevail in court on even a small error, the US government will pay all their legal fees and court costs under the Equal Justice Act.

For this site, check for sage hen and bald eagle bird impacts (lol), and historic lava flow and ice cave damage.

This process can delay the project for 10 years or more. I'm a professional mining engineer. Been through this, got a T-shirt.

Last edited by Oldidaho; 01/23/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tater74
Liberals and Californians (I know, same thing) are a plague of locusts. They take and destroy everywhere they go.

🤣🤣🤣

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I just posted an article in another thread about a new small nuke that's just been certified for use in the US. SMALL NUKES
It would take 20 of these to produce the power of this wind project. They could all be placed in CA where they need the power, would eliminate 480 miles of new road building, and probably last longer than the projected 30 years life of the windmills. There's no mention of the cost comparison.

This project will destroy 114 square miles of pristine desert and lava fields. 20 small nukes would take up, at the most, 20 square miles, probably a lot less, and they would be where they're needed, eliminating hundreds of miles of new power lines across 3 states.

― George Orwell

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Oh if it was only that simple...electrical power generating capacity is a commodity and is sold to the grid operator, at auction, 3 years in advance. All the sources that are producing in that grid, participate in the auction. Wind, hydro, solar, gas, coal, nuke. Let's say wind bids it's capacity at 30 bucks...coal bids in at 150...an old nuke bids lowest of all. Here's where the strange stuff takes place...the winning gencap producers then get the contract, regardless of their operating cost..they receive the amount of the most expensive producer in the auction...in my example, every producer gets 150 bucks...even if their operating cost is only 30 bucks.
Then, there are interim auctions before the 3 yr contract is due, to adjust price for stupid politicians tinkering with the market. Eventually the grid operator sells the contracted power to it's customers for full retail.
To say that California, or any customer anywhere is ruining anything by buying power from the grid operator is just ridiculous.
By the way, I hate wind and solar too...it's total BS. Keep the hydro until small Thorium plants in India are proven.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
283 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 26 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.