Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I can't remember who first posted about placing an O-ring around the barrels of Stutzen (Mannicher) stocked rifles for improved and more consistent accuracy. I used it on a Ruber M77 RSI with good results. Since then I have used it on my M70 Classic FW I placed in a Winlite stock, a Ruger M77 tanger 308, and now my Ruger Hawkeye stainless ultra light 7mm-08. The Ruger UL was so/so for accuracy. The 120gr load shot better before I added the O-ring but never as good as the 139gr load does. The 139gr ammo is Hornady American Whitetail. I have a good supply pf 139gr bullets to load.

120gr @ 100
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

139gr @ 100

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Curious as to where you placed the O-ring. Did you locate the spot by dangling the barreled action and tapping it up and down with a small hammer to find the "dead spot" and place the O-ring there? (That's how I locate the spot at which to clamp the barrel sled on a couple .32-40 High Wall bench guns.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
With the M70 and Ruger tanger I placed the O-ring about an inch and a half back from the end of the fore end. The only place to put an O-ring on the Ruger UL synthetic stock was right at the front end of the fore end.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I bought some rubber grommets to try the same thing.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bed properly and save components chasing temporary "fixes."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
There are times when bedding isn't the cure all.
Not all of us want a threaded barrel.
Sometimes cheap, simple, and effective has its own beauty.
Kinda like a greased ace of spades under the barrel at the forearm tip, or floating an action with greased playing cards and a hole punch around the action screws.
I have done both, after reading Carmichael's books, and both worked.
The rubber barrel tuner is just a newer take on the idea of a common man fix.

Last edited by Nessmuk; 01/21/23.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
Kinda like a greased ace of spades under the barrel at the forearm tip, or floating an action with greased playing cards and a hole punch around the action screws.

Playing cards went out when bread bag clips became popular to diagnose a problem then became a permanent fixture

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Isn't that a bit contradictory? Wouldn't your "greased playing cards" in effect be curing/improving your bedding issues? [Bedding: the nesting of the metal components into the stock for a precise fit, be it through perfect inletting or after the fact with space filling compounds (also used to correct ill-advised, imperfect, or otherwise compromised fit of metal to its support structure after the fact).

In what context are you referring to "threaded barrels" here?

Be careful with your "common man" fixes. All too often such things are the mark of "Bubba". Would it not be a good protocol to experiment with such things in seeking a fix, then making permanent hidden alterations that achieve the same effect? Ie: after determining that said O-ring effected an improvement of sorts, then creating a hidden pad of something permanently fused to the stock channel at that point that achieves the same effect. Bubba often has great ideas but rarely does he see them through to completion.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Philosophically/aesthetically I would rather have a stock that is absolutely, precisely, patiently and carefully inletted for its metalwork than one haphazardly inletted and then made up for with epoxy compounds. The same effect is created, but who's capable of such work, and more importantly who's willing to pay for such work? Not many guys like that around anymore. Not many guys left of the caliber of Tom Shelhamer, Alvin Linden, Bob Owen, John Dubiel, and Seymour Griffin, to name a few old time greats.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/21/23.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Philosophically/aesthetically I would rather have a stock that is absolutely, precisely, patiently and carefully inletted for its metalwork than one haphazardly inletted and then made up for with epoxy compounds. The same effect is created, but who's capable of such work, and more importantly who's willing to pay for such work? Not many guys like that around anymore. Not many guys left of the caliber of Tom Shelhamer, Alvin Linden, Bob Owen, John Dubiel, and Seymour Griffin, to name a few old time greats.

Duplicators and cnc killed that market.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
If the O-ring works, I can't see a problem. If it doesn't, no worries and is easily removed. My latest test is with a Ruger Hawkeye synthetic stock. Not a whole lot one can do with them.
Dave, aka "Bubba". wink

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I know a guy that's had good luck bedding forend with silicone. I think casting silicone works the best. Regular RTV won't typically dry

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I know a guy that's had good luck bedding forend with silicone. I think casting silicone works the best. Regular RTV won't typically dry
Does he work for Browning assembling A-Borts?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
If the O-ring works, I can't see a problem. If it doesn't, no worries and is easily removed. My latest test is with a Ruger Hawkeye synthetic stock. Not a whole lot one can do with them.
Dave, aka "Bubba". wink
One major problem with temporary fixes is the probability they will shift or get moved, requiring more components to verify... proper bedding is too easy to do...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Duplicators and cnc killed that market.
They could not have done it without epoxy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Isn't that a bit contradictory? Wouldn't your "greased playing cards" in effect be curing/improving your bedding issues? [Bedding: the nesting of the metal components into the stock for a precise fit, be it through perfect inletting or after the fact with space filling compounds (also used to correct ill-advised, imperfect, or otherwise compromised fit of metal to its support structure after the fact).

In what context are you referring to "threaded barrels" here?

Be careful with your "common man" fixes. All too often such things are the mark of "Bubba". Would it not be a good protocol to experiment with such things in seeking a fix, then making permanent hidden alterations that achieve the same effect? Ie: after determining that said O-ring effected an improvement of sorts, then creating a hidden pad of something permanently fused to the stock channel at that point that achieves the same effect. Bubba often has great ideas but rarely does he see them through to completion.
Agree completely.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Philosophically/aesthetically I would rather have a stock that is absolutely, precisely, patiently and carefully inletted for its metalwork than one haphazardly inletted and then made up for with epoxy compounds.

The inletting on a well done epoxy bedding job is far from haphazardly done. Believe me, inletting makes a difference. wink

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Al, would you please elaborate on this? I've probably been leaving some ''goodness'' on the table!

Thanks

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Pretty easy to shim forend tip with match cover or what ever if it shoots well tape it in place then bed to same thickness.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PatB
Al, would you please elaborate on this? I've probably been leaving some ''goodness'' on the table! Thanks

Hi Pat. Basically, I want the inletting to allow for a consistent, adequate thickness of compound.....you don't want thick and thin spots. This insures consistent stability of the bedding and gives a lot more longevity.

This one just got done...the pic is right after the barrelled action was removed and prior to final clean up, chamfering and edge rounding. On this one, the inletting was lowered so there would be a consistent .125 of bedding thickness. That includes over the top of the pillars.

There's a lot of mistakes commonly made in bedding. Inadequate compound thickness isn't the biggest no-no. But it's in the Top 5. wink

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (308ld, 338reddog, 35, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 776 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.