Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
OGB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
As per the 2023 lefty guns thread, what does it take to get a run of "lefties"?

ie. Lypsey's does runs of Ruger No 1s.

Cabela's has "exclusive" Tikka variations.

So why not some "exclusive" lefty runs?

In some cases, the mechanism is already there. An example of which is that Tikka makes a left hand 6.5PRC but only in a "target" configuration. Presumably they could make a run of stainless T3X lights in 6.5PRC.

In other cases, it would be more difficult. Would love to see a left-hand Howa Alpine but doubt I ever will because they haven't ever made their action left-handed.

I know that whatever the run is, it must be economically solvent, but a limited run here and there would be great.

Who do we petition?

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Whittacker guns are the only ones I know of that might. Shortactionsmoker on here runs the place for the most part so you might ask him. I would definitely be in for a left hand tikka t3 stainless light in 6.5 prc

O
OGB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Good lead!

Now, for those interested, what would you like to see?

This could actually bear fruit......

We could subdivide this into easily doable and not likely as per my 2 examples above.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I stand corrected, Shortactionsmoker actually owns Whittackers so he is definitely the guy to talk too🤣

O
OGB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
If Shortactionsmoker isn't a lefty then he is probably not tuned into this thread.

Let's coalesce with some legitimately doable ideas and get this ball rolling.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I let him know about the thread

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OGB
...what does it take to get a run of "lefties"?

In my opinion, the most important thing you need is consensus: You have to have a significant number of people to agree they want the same gun. If this is true, then you can quickly see some of the obstacles you might run into. Some people want a classic wooden stock while others want synthetic. Stainless vs blued? Common readily available ammo or something unique & special? If you read enough posts on these forums, then getting a bunch of firearm enthusiasts to all agree on a common "best choice" can be a bit of a challenge.

One example that pops into my mind is a while back the Dallas Arms Collectors Association got Lipsey's to make a run of (I believe 100) Ruger #1 RSI rifles chambered in .275 Rigby. In this instance, they opted for a classic uncommon caliber with a Mannlicher stock. This might not have wide appeal but go out and try to find one of these rifles for sale. They're hard to find.

You mentioned Lipsey & Ruger #1's as a possibility. For me, this would have limited appeal not because it isn't a great idea and a viable option but because I have all the Ruger #1's & Winchester 1885's I really want. A left-handed Ruger 77 African would have more appeal to me in a nice plains game caliber. Other people who think this is a good idea might insist on a dangerous game caliber. Let the arguing begin...

What would be nice is if companies like Lipsey's would let you put down a deposit on a particular unique gun & if enough people would join you, then they would do a run. There needs to be a mechanism where serious purchasers could push the production of a desired firearm through the manufacturing process by guaranteeing the sale of the series and not make it speculation on the manufacturer's part.

O
OGB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I mentioned the Lipsey no 1 as an example of exclusive runs, not necessarily as a lefty option. Should have been more specific.

Not long ago in the Ruger 77 African cartridge thread I mentioned a lefty in something readily available that kills deer.

I'm pretty much that easy.

You are 100% correct that getting everyone to agree on one combo is a pipe dream.

The question remains. What would my fellow lefties like to see?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Whitakker,s has done LH rifles orders in the past LH Tikkas, 6.5 Creedmoor, 22-250 1-8 twist numbers have to be right to make it work.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
O
OGB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
This begs another question.

How do I get a timely heads-up when things like this happen?

A run of 100 is sure to go quick!

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I would go for a LH Tikka T3X Lite Stainless, black synthetic stock(no muzzle brake)in 6.5 PRC….24.3” barrel.

Better yet, I’d go for the same gun in 264 Win Mag.

But, either one would get my money.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 01/23/23.
O
OGB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I'd be in on the 6.5PRC.

While we're at it, make it a roughtech. Kinda like that dandied up version.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OGB
The question remains. What would my fellow lefties like to see?
Personally I would favor an older classic caliber if I could somehow get a company to make a custom run of left hand rifles. With a new modern caliber (e.g 6.5CM) I'd probably just buy a current Ruger, Tikka, Sako, etc. that's already available.

So the choices that would grab my attention would be:

257 Roberts
25-06 Remington
6.5x55 SE
7x57mm / 275 Rigby
300 H&H Magnum
35 Whelen
358 Winchester
9.3x62

Make one of those available in a left-handed Model 70 or Ruger African and I think I would be able to find room in both my budget & my safe to accommodate it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A left hand Tikka CTR in 223 would get my wallet out in a big hurry….

Sic Semper Tyrannis
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
A lot of us lefty’s are hard to please. We’re kind of perfectionists because we know how rare and difficult it is to get a rifle in left hand that we think it’s going to be better than anything else. Someone mentioned how we would have a hard time agreeing on a run of rifles and I think that’s true. I disagree with a lot of people that think 20" is plenty for a barrel’s length.

I’ve just about given up on any factory rifles anymore. Not entirely, I would still be interested in rimfires and shotguns, but left hand center fire rifles are not what I think they should be. Cooper was great and I special ordered two in the past and would like another one but since they changed hands, I will have to read up more before dropping 4k + on a rifle. I now use a gunsmith to build if I’m going to spend good money on a rifle that I will shoot more than just the hunting season.

One thing Ruger could do that would be a good money maker for them is to have their Custom Shop actually build custom rifles and not assemble pistols and rifles and label them as custom. Remington did that and I got a 40x lefty custom built from them. CZ had sort of the same thing. Savage could do it too. I don’t know why that’s not possible. I would be ok with a lengthy wait from time of order to delivery. I’m patient when I need to be and I think a lot of us would be too.

Last edited by PaintedDesert; 01/23/23.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I believe tikka already catalogued the Veil and Roughtech in left hand in 6.5 PRC for this year

I would also be down for just about any left hand Ruger African model ( would prefer 275 rigby or 6.5x55 though!)

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
7PRC Tikka for me.

Have a 6.5 PRC LH Tikka at the gunsmith right now.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think a grand solution would for Beretta/Tikka and Ruger to do a direct pre-order type of program. They could offer specific runs for lefties and this way there's no overruns in a pre-order=pre-sale program.

The beauty of that model is they'd know exactly how many they need ahead of time and they wouldn't sit around.

Hey beretta, hey ruger are you paying attention? They probably don't care.

B
B
I remember seeing limited runs of Ruger M77s a few years back. I think it was 308 and 270s that started popping up as new in box but they weren’t on the website. I don’t think it will happen any time soon considering you can’t find new made M77s that are listed as current production rifles.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[quote=Starbuck]7PRC Tikka for me.
Same here in the fluted LW model

But first we have to agree on 1 gun 1 caliber that is how we did it before on the LH 1-8 twist 22-250 Tikka and Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.