Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Seems like some people don't like vests and prefer bags, or maybe just the cargo pockets on their jackets and pants. I have to say, in May we can have some very hot days and a vest can be miserable.

I've been looking at bags. Can't seem to find anything on Miss Glenda bags. Not sure if she still makes them or not. Haven't seen anything anywhere else that appeals to me.

I was at Green Top Hunt and Fish in Richmond, Va yesterday. I was going through their waterfowling section and found this Avery Waterfowl Equipment bag that should serve well as a turkey hunting bag. Plenty of room in it for box calls, pot calls, wallet, keys, pruning shears. Seems to be me very well made and has a waterproof zippered insert bag. Lots of ammo storage. Stap has a pad and is expandable enough that I can sling it across my chest and it rides on my hip. Looking forward to giving it a whirl.

I may need to commission Yoder and his partner to make a leather insert for it with box and pot call compartments.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/22/23.
BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I believe those are called a murse! Lol! Looks handy and very similar to a possibles bag for muzzleloading.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It needs some compartments inside. It's got strips of velcro that hold the inner bag in. If I take that out, I can use padded camera bag dividers that have velcro on them to create pockets for box calls and other things.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my hunting buddy has one simular that he uses. I think it is a 2 box duck hunting blind bag or something like that

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have used a similar waterfowl blind bag that has doubled as my turkey hunting bag for at least 15 years. The waterproof lining on the inside has some small rips in it but it still serves the purpose. I just like my bag with everything in it sitting next to my hip within easy reach when I’m sitting on the ground. Some people make fun of them but to me it’s very functional so who cares.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It looks like that will work well for you. I use something similar to tote around my electronic predator calling set up.
For turkeys I still use an old ragged cheapo vest that I got back when I first started out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like a nice bag. I just got a Glenda Green Satchel. She can be found on Facebook. Awesome lady and product. I think the satchel will be much better than a vest.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the same bag that I use quite a bit on turkey hunts. Used it yesterday for duck hunting. I never could like a vest. The vest with the kickstand back rest looks neat. It’s often too hot here in Arkansas for a vest plus the 127lbs of junk I’d stuff in it.

The shoulder bag is ideal. It’ll hold a couple friction calls, sandwich and snacks, few shells, headlamp, water bottle, face mask and gloves. Attach a comfy cushion and haul ass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Miss Glenda was at Unicoi.

Seems her satchels are pretty well- received. All puns intended...... they just ain't my bag. 😏

I got away from a vest years ago because it was just an enabler for me to carry way too much junk. Went to a small belt pack and haven't looked back once.

Only thought of going back to a vest would be on a hunt where I may have to carry a bird a really long way out.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm trying to decide between the vest or my little chair and a satchel. The later is winning and I wish I had a better bag...

This thread is inspiring me to look at an upgrade.

I carry my stuff in a dark green BWCA food barrel bag and thats where my bird goes.

What's the lightest way to carry a bird if you don't want to carry the flea covered thing on your shoulder?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do wear a vest in the early part of the year when temps a cooler, but as soon as it warms up, I go to a belt pack thing with a seat.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a big, bright, orange colored mesh bag with a shoulder strap on it for hauling out a bird I get. Have had it for so long, I no longer remember where I got it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Tom Teaser Quick Sack what I use.....had one for several years. Has several compartments for all your calls, made for turkey hunters. They at several places just google it. I use mine also deer hunting also....range finder & binos, shells, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using a messenger bag for over 20 years. The vest I was using previously was just weighing me down too much.

The latest iteration is what's called a "Tactical Bag." I've been carrying it since 2017.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

I use the bottle holder to carry my box call. I have a foam pad clipped to it so my butt stays dry.

The nice thing about a rig like this is that I can shed it when I get somewhere.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a 5:11 sling pack I use for small game hunting. It carries everything I need when I'm in the woods for the day and don't need a lot of stuff. But if it gets too heavy, the strap rides up against my neck. So I use a 5:11 day pack for deer hunting. It's got well organized pockets and if I have to stuff pruning sheers, a big game knife, and bone saw into it, along with a poncho or other stuff, it's still comfortable to wear. But neither seem good for turkey hunting. The man-purse concept seems better since it carries like, as Dean said, a possible bag, and you don't have to take it off to get into it. I wish this one had more organized pockets, but it will still work, I think.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/25/23.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Box calls and bigger pot calls are the nemesis of a good turkey Murse. Tough to find one with pockets that hold box calls well.

Last edited by humdinger; 01/25/23.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This is the one I use (or something like it) when it gets hot

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-speed-seat-half-turkey-vest-for-men?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=BPS%7CShopping%7CSmart%7CProprietary%7CGeneral%7CNAud%7CNVol%7CNMT&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw8OeBhCeARIsAGxWtUwMCEU0wu3x0DwXDRaEbLflxDLY0a-Xjp-Zn0GjX6GLw4qUFGls3RkaAkfkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by humdinger
What's the lightest way to carry a bird if you don't want to carry the flea covered thing on your shoulder?

I don't think they get fleas. I've never found fleas or lice on a bird.

You can always carry a clear lawn bag to use to carry it, though.

Or, order some of these.
https://www.amazon.com/KIMOBER-Halloween-Pumpkin-Decoration-Decorating/dp/B093BMKYD1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=EJ5TA6KJG52P&keywords=orange+lawn+bags&qid=1674685662&sprefix=ornage+lawn+bags%2Caps%2C83&sr=8-3

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/25/23.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Originally Posted by humdinger

I don't think they get fleas. I've never found fleas or lice on a bird.

You can always carry a clear lawn bag to use to carry it, though.

Or, order some of these.
https://www.amazon.com/KIMOBER-Halloween-Pumpkin-Decoration-Decorating/dp/B093BMKYD1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=EJ5TA6KJG52P&keywords=orange+lawn+bags&qid=1674685662&sprefix=ornage+lawn+bags%2Caps%2C83&sr=8-3

I don't know what little bugs I've seen while cleaning birds, but my father in law called them flea whele we were cleaning my first bird we killed together.
I see a lot on ducks too.

I like the plastic bag idea other than it holds heat in. I'm going to look for a mesh bag or make a turkey strap or sling bag.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I carried that Avery bag all day yesterday. I like it, but its not going to work as a turkey hunting bag. The top flap is plain too heavy with ammo. If I put pot calls in those pouches on the inside, its going to be that much heavier. However, it is very comfortable to carry. It will make a great carry bag while hunting small game. But for turkey, not so much. Back to a vest, I guess.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
93 members (35, 160user, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.