How many who served would join again?

Big no for me

Last edited by ribka; 01/24/23.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I used to recommend the military to young men that had uncertain plans for the future. NO MORE.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably would but my choice in how would change.

Me

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’m currently in. It’s changed a lot since I joined. Looking forward to that retirement date. At the end of the day, the military is a SUPER easy way to have a job and security. Right time, Right place, Right uniform and just a little bit of a decent attitude toward it. I do my fair share of bitching, and it’s mainly about the stupidity and lack of common sense that seems to propagate these days. There is a lot of stupid stuff happening in the military, but also some good mixed in(new MPLP is one example).

It’s all situation dependent on if I’d say to join or not. Just was talking to the little brother of my wife’s closest friend. He was thinking about joining as a wheeled mechanic(wants to work on diesels). Told him to go Air Force 100% over Army and to not we think about the Marines(sorry to the Marines out there… yalls QOL is trash majority of the time).

In the end I got him to apply for Wyotech, go through the school and see where he lands. If he still wants/needs to join, go talk to the recruiters and see if they would cover any debts from Wyotech and join up.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hell no!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah why not. Made life long friends through the service. Besides I still be stuck in that 2 bit town making nothing for money. God Bless The U.S Army!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Chase4556
In the end I got him to apply for Wyotech, go through the school and see where he lands. If he still wants/needs to join, go talk to the recruiters and see if they would cover any debts from Wyotech and join up.

From the perspective of a retired 30+ year automotive instructor with 60+ years as an auto, truck, aircraft, and industrial equipment mechanic- - - - - -Wyotech is "sorta-kinda" OK for getting the entry level skills to get his foot into the door at your average auto or truck shop over somebody who strolls in off the street with no formal training and applies for a job. RUN- - - - -DO NOT WALK away from Universal Tech- - - - - -they're a huge ripoff! Massive tuition costs, and incompetent instructors.

I'm almost ashamed to admit I spent 8 years in the USAF these days, but at least I didn't run off to Canada or burn my draft card in the 1960's!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only if the same kind of people I joined with also come back in with me.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
20 or 30 years ago, I thought the best choice a young HS graduate was military service. I went in 2 years after graduation, not exactly because I wanted to, but as a young fellow starting a family, it seemed to be the best option.
4 years later I couldn’t wait to get home, and neither could Carol, so I got out and we returned to PA.
But I could recognize that the Army did a helluva lotta good for me, both in attitude and the way I see things.
I have often said of my service, “ I wouldn’t do it again for a million $, but I wouldn’t take 5 million for the experience”!
I would’ve recommended it to anyone starting their life, and I supported the idea of 2 years mandatory service after high school.
However, now 30 years later, you’d have to be blind not to see that we live in a completely different country from the one I grew up in, and swore my life to defend.
I respect those who serve, but I sure as hell wouldn’t recommend it for anyone, unless you’re maybe a man who wishes to be a woman.
It’s a damn poor joke to myself and thousands like me.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Yeah why not. Made life long friends through the service. Besides I still be stuck in that 2 bit town making nothing for money. God Bless The U.S Army!
I agree with you on this statement. It was not only a family tradition, it was also a great way to get out of a deadend deadbeat town with no prospects.

I would join all over again but I would make different choices as to my career path.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

From the perspective of a retired 30+ year automotive instructor with 60+ years as an auto, truck, aircraft, and industrial equipment mechanic- - - - - -Wyotech is "sorta-kinda" OK for getting the entry level skills to get his foot into the door at your average auto or truck shop over somebody who strolls in off the street with no formal training and applies for a job. RUN- - - - -DO NOT WALK away from Universal Tech- - - - - -they're a huge ripoff! Massive tuition costs, and incompetent instructors.

I'm almost ashamed to admit I spent 8 years in the USAF these days, but at least I didn't run off to Canada or burn my draft card in the 1960's!

What happened to building NASCARs for 35 years?

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I wouldn't wanna be on detailed slave recruiting duty out their in this day and age.

Schit suuuked the root 98 - 01.
And homie has a gold badge with 3 sapphires from those 3 suuk azz years.
Homie hated recruiting command.

Homie was very successful cause homie can talk to anyone.

Homie was glad to leave being a fuuking detailed slave and go sleep on the ground in line dog world and meet new people once again on this rock spreading " goodwill".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAS
Only if the same kind of people I joined with also come back in with me.
Boy, howdy, do I agree with that. I view the guys in my unit as brothers! We fought and bitched about each other, but the love was always there, and to let them down, woulda been shame worse than death!
I made some friends for life, much closer than my HS buddies who I still run into sometimes.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It took a nose dive around 2000, now its off the charts.

A recent thing I witnessed is a black woman with big red lips and hair extensions bringing her troops through a riverbed and yelling “bang, bang, bang, bang, bang…”.

I already told y’all about the intel troop dudes with tits. I floored everyone in the lab when I was getting blood drawn by saying to one of the troops, “nice set of pecks, you use dumbbells or straight bar?”

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 01/24/23.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Homie never put 1 female into a pair of boots into his army.
Homie let other recruiters in office put females into the Army from his 3 high schools.
Homie had a way of steering female walk ins to other recruiters in the office.

Homie had enough of female baloney in his life with Khanarella and 3 young daughters.

Homie fuuked alot of female soldiers in the Army when he was a single man.

Female support soldiers loved hanging around 11B land and the parties we would have long ago in a Galaxy far far away..
🤣🤣🤣

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

I know nothing about it, was just the options he was tossing around. Wyotech or Military. Told him go to Wyotech, see what the military can offer you after. Pretty sure his mom and sister are hoping he gets a job after Wyotech and doesn’t join. Can’t blame them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't trade my time in the corps for anything.

As for recommending it, I guess it depends where you're at in life. I didn't have money for college, was poor, and needed a swift kick in the azz. The Marines gave me the college money and the kick in the azz I needed.

If you don't need the money or the kick in the azz, I'd lean towards no.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
As 7mmb said, wouldn't trade my mil career for the world.

Traveled the planet, did, saw and expienced things that can't be bought with money.

Highest of highs and lowest of lows and I'd do it all again but not today.

Too much has changed and not for the better.

Don't even recommend it anymore.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I miss the Army at Times.
83-08
Being around Ftcky here in Clarksvegas.
I run into Brothers of all ages and ranks all the time around here.
And a talk can last for a hour or more.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spent 25 years on active duty. It was a great career. But I would not serve under the current clown show nor would I encourage anyone else to.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
258 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.