Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Windfall
Good memories especially with a blond and blue girlfriend along for riding.

We’re you riding with a Smurf?

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes

μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lived there for four years. Rapid City. That whole area is a great place to live, maybe one of the best in the country, if the weather suits you. I grew up further west and missed the real mountains and wilderness of the Rockies, but the Black Hills are beautiful.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Great State - the Black Hills are awesome.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yup!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great pics G!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

My grandfather ran the grain silo at the RR tracks in Ree Heights. I have been up there several times to see his office, although abandoned it is still intact.

Ha! Whodathunk that anyone else in this thread even knows where Ree Heights is at? I was born and raised in Miller.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Born and raised in South Dakota. Married an Iowa gal and we moved to Iowa because teacher pay in South Dakota SUCKS. Still have family and plenty of places to hunt there. Born in Miller and spent my first 16 years there. Pheasant hunting for wild birds that most of you wouldn't even believe if captured on video. Graduated from South Dakota State University in 2002. I still consider it "home".

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lived there a long time ago. Still go ba I to a fan h to hunt. Have friends there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My grandfather ran the grain silo at the RR tracks in Ree Heights. I have been up there several times to see his office, although abandoned it is still intact.

That’s pretty cool.

IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by willycc
It’s known for it cool gentle breezes

When the wind is at thirty miles per hour, they consider it calm.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dad was born there, had a lot of family there and went there a decent amount. I grew up in western Montana and Idaho and just couldn't give up the freedom of the northern rockies.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I could totally move there . Find a big boned Yankee woman to snuggle up with . She’d have to skin game, clean fish, and have places to hunt.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Yep. Black Hills in 04 to kill a Merriams.

Drove back across it from Wyoming in 07, never again in the daylight.

People think Kansas is flat and a boring featureless drive. Once out of the Black Hills and heading east there ain't a fuggin thing to see.

Ate at a Chef Louies steakhouse, believe in Mitchell on a Saturday night. They stuck the 4 of us in a back corner hidden away from everyone else. Seems a lot of ranchers with $$ were in there.

Years ago used to travel I-90 East to West from Wi. to Wyoming. We used to drive straight thru, and always hit south Dakota through the night.. When we used to travel it during the day time, I always said if you were a passenger and fell asleep for four hour, you would swear you were in the same spot when you woke up.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by selmer

Ha! Whodathunk that anyone else in this thread even knows where Ree Heights is at? I was born and raised in Miller.

You are kidding me. My dad, Ken Lewis, was born in Miller. I have visited Miller several times to see "the old home place." Your name isn't Lewis, is it?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by selmer
Born and raised in South Dakota. Married an Iowa gal and we moved to Iowa because teacher pay in South Dakota SUCKS. Still have family and plenty of places to hunt there. Born in Miller and spent my first 16 years there. Pheasant hunting for wild birds that most of you wouldn't even believe if captured on video. Graduated from South Dakota State University in 2002. I still consider it "home".

My dad was a football star at USD. They won the conference . Sweet Mother of God, you aren't one of those Jackrabbits, are you?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Been to S.D. 5 different times. Spent as much or more time thinking about leaving Ky. & moving there as I'd had anywhere else in my life. So many pluses for my spare time activities & my vocation. Places to work & play 10 fold.

Then I saw one of their snow plows............ eek it was nearly as big as my house. A beautiful place, in August.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yep. Prairie dog shooting with Jim River Guide Service. Two of us fired 3,500 rounds in a weekend.

Tony

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

That’s pretty cool.

My grandfather was killed in a car crash in Ree Heights in 1936. Next year, my Dad being a 14 year old Wild Ass with no father with a "leather strap," Dad and two buddies, climbed the water tower and were going for a swim in the water tank. The cops were called, the high school principal was there, yelling up "Now boys, why don't you come on down from that tower?" Seventy feet high up in the air, the "authorities" had no sane way to get the wild yard-apes down.

No helicopters to the rescue, oops helicopters hadn't been invented yet. Dad said, after another half hour of swimming in the water tank, with all the town gathered around looking up from the ground, the cops and the Principal yelling at them, the wild young boys climbed back down that steep ladder.

Grammy Lewis was not amused.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've driven across the state a couple of times on the way to Yellowstone.

It’s known for it cool gentle breezes

Last trip (2000) was the hottest temp I've ever seen and dead calm until after dark. It was 117 mid-afternoon according to the temperature display in our Tacoma.

We pulled into the Badlands NP just before dark and could watch a storm coming out of the west for an hour. We were going to camp, but a gust of wind flattened our tent and broke the poles shortly after setting it up. We quickly threw everything in the Tahoe and pulled out just as the storm hit. No rooms in Wall. So we drove to Rapid City. Still no rooms available.

We ended up sleeping in the Tahoe in a Walmart parking lot.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 40 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.