Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
WE ARE GOING TO NF THIS FALL Moose hunting. My son’s buddy had a DUI in Connecticut 4 years ago. He is prohibited from entering Canada as we found out yesterday. He is employed by the State of CT and did all that was required of him as a result of his DUI. NASTY RULE.

So my partner has a 72 YO client that was on a cruise and stopped in the Atlantic provinces.he hears his name over the ship intercom, goes to the appointed office and is brought to the. “Brig”. Two police officers ask him if he was arrested for breaking and entering. He said yes when he was 15 years old. Mind you he is 72! The officers inform him that they won’t arrest him, he can stay on the cruise but don’t come back!

Now that’s fugged up.

Last edited by abbydog; 01/24/23.
BP-B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
It's their country, they can run however they see fit!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
If you’re a Canadian travelling to the US and answer Yes if asked if you’ve ever smoked pot, you’ll be turned back.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I actually respect that stance. If you can't follow the rules in your own country, why would they let you into theirs?

Wish we'd do it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Having lived on the border most of my life, I know several people who were told they couldn't enter Canada because of a DUI.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Canada regards DUI as a felony and they don't allow felon entry. Pretty damn simple if you ask me..
Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with it. We have drunks in Abq, NM with 7 DUI---still out there---then they go down the wrong on I-40. Usually a mini van full of a family meets them head on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I agree with it. We have drunks in Abq, NM with 7 DUI---still out there---then they go down the wrong on I-40. Usually a mini van full of a family meets them head on.

Yeah.
Then, and only then, they are locked up.

Never quite understood how the crime is no big deal.
But the consequences suddenly are.

Dumb vastard did nothing different than on the 7 previous violations.

Always a but.
You can't keep them off the road unless they are locked up.
Blow-n-go only works on those who comply.
Many borrow a car, some get a kid to blow.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stop whining.

You think it’s any different for a Canadian entering the USA?

If a Canadian tries to cross the border with a warrant for a $25 cat at large ticket, they are denied entering the USA. Bye bye expensive vacation. Try explaining that to the family.

I think trying to enter a foreign country with a DUI is a little more serious than a cat at large ticket.

Delay the hunt a year so he can get a pardon then hunt on.

Or he can hurry up and get that pardon so he can hunt this year.

Last edited by AB2506; 01/25/23.
A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
How dare another country make laws and expect Americans to follow them! If it were reversed and citizens of other countries complaining about our laws we would tell them to STFU. We sure are an entitled country.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Must be an agreement between Canada and states with border crossings. I seriously doubt a single DUI from 2018 or a 15-year old's breaking and entering from 1966 would have shown up from any other state. We just don't keep records here like some other countries do.

Phil

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you use the southern border as a gauge, one should be allowed into Canada with a bomb strapped to your body, a bag full of coke and an 8 year old on your lap.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Must be an agreement between Canada and states with border crossings. I seriously doubt a single DUI from 2018 or a 15-year old's breaking and entering from 1966 would have shown up from any other state. We just don't keep records here like some other countries do.

Phil

Yeah we do.

I shot a bear in 1993 and brought it back to the states. I get my security clearance in 2002 - 9 years later. They asked about the bear because we have the import record. Not only did we (USA) keep it, it was searchable and came up almost immediately when they looked for me in the system. Mind you I was 16, not an adult when I got that bear. Who cares from a documents stand point? Still, we had it, cataloged and ready for review back then.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure why Canada is so extreme re ever having a DUI. But they are.

Some dozen years ago while working with a company in Canada, we bought a software system from a US company. The software company sent their 62 year old rep to train our staff and there was no problem in his first visit to plan out the training and transition to a new system.

We booked a car and a hotel for him during the training… and when he came to do the training he was turned away at the border. He was not allowed entry to Canada because a border cop gal discovered he had had a juvenile DUI when he was 16 years old. There was nothing on his record since, except a stellar business resume, but he was not allowed in. Our company has had excellent relations with Immigration Canada, border security personnel etc. over decades but nothing we did helped this time.

We canceled his car and hotel, plus omitted a week of meals in local Canadian restaurants, etc. We were near the border so booked hotel, car, training venue, etc. at a US town just south of the border, and our staff commuted down for the training. Lost revenue for local Canadian businesses.

I cannot see any benefit to Canada from barring this man.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
As mentioned, Canada considers it a felony and has the right to restrict its border from criminals.

Doesn't matter how good of a guy he's been since. This is one of those instances when justice truly is blind, as it should be.

I'm not arguing that there isn't a lot more nefarious stuff that goes on, but if you can't handle the simple stuff, you're never going to get a handle on the tough stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I/we had a felony conviction, i/we can not enter the US, including their airspace !

That goes for our resident status here, as well as our Australian passports, so it is a 2 way street.

Thousands of people get turned back, every year, trying to come up here for hunting or fishing trips.

Surprised that any "enthusiasts", did not / do not know of this.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Anyone know about the professional sports teams? Any players have convictions?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There should be reciprocity for common crimes that are weighted differently while being identical, that’s the entire point behind reciprocity!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone know about the professional sports teams? Any players have convictions?

Good question.

They get special approval.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I think, follow the money applies there.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
612 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.