Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by funshooter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The way I look at it is how many rounds will you load in a session, and how often will you change calibers?

The advantage of the 550 is lower initial cost, less expensive cartridge conversions and less time to convert between calibers, the downside is it's slower because you have to feed cases and bullets manually.

The advantage of the 750 is you can load faster, but the downside is higher initial cost and cost of cartridge conversions.

I'm happy with the 550 because I load from 100-500 rounds in a session and have it set up for 1/2 dozen calibers (and growing) If I was loading 1000 rounds or more in a session I'd seriously consider a 750.

One of the things I really like about my 550 is that I can pull a pin and take the case with the powder charge out from time to time and check the charge.

Some of the other Dillon Presses you can not do that very easily from what I have been told.

I started reloading on a single stage RCBS Rock Chuker and really liked it but then I got into shooting a lot more than that single stage would keep up with

I now load 15 different cartridges and changing between them is just a few minutes.

Cases can be removed and charges checked on the 650,750and 1050 just as easily as the 550 they all use locator buttons!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by funshooter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The way I look at it is how many rounds will you load in a session, and how often will you change calibers?

The advantage of the 550 is lower initial cost, less expensive cartridge conversions and less time to convert between calibers, the downside is it's slower because you have to feed cases and bullets manually.

The advantage of the 750 is you can load faster, but the downside is higher initial cost and cost of cartridge conversions.

I'm happy with the 550 because I load from 100-500 rounds in a session and have it set up for 1/2 dozen calibers (and growing) If I was loading 1000 rounds or more in a session I'd seriously consider a 750.

One of the things I really like about my 550 is that I can pull a pin and take the case with the powder charge out from time to time and check the charge.

Some of the other Dillon Presses you can not do that very easily from what I have been told.

I started reloading on a single stage RCBS Rock Chuker and really liked it but then I got into shooting a lot more than that single stage would keep up with

I now load 15 different cartridges and changing between them is just a few minutes.

Cases can be removed and charges checked on the 650,750and 1050 just as easily as the 550 they all use locator buttons!

Thanks for the information.
I was misinformed about the other Presses

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Potsy
I’m looking at the basic 550.
I just want to size and bell on the press, then prime and dump powder outside of the press, the seat and crimp on the press.
Not the way most guys do it, but a better “fit” for me.
Plus I don’t have to buy their dies.

You don't have to buy their dies. Their die sets have several advantages though: They are very well made. Seating and Crimping are done in separte operations. And, the mouth of the dies are "champhered" to allow the round to enter the die even if all the stations are not perfectly alligned.

This practice of champhering the case mouth of each die is not limited to Dillon. Read the technical overview on the Redding "Pro" series of dies. They do the same thing to their pro series as Dillon does - and for the same reason.

I have been reloading since 1994. When I first started, the basic Dillon press - no accessories was $259. I though that was too much and decided on an RCBS. No problems with the RCBS. It will last me the rest of my life and beyond.

However - if I knew then what I know now - I would have purchased the Dillon.

When it comes to loading pistol rounds like 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP - a single stage press is not even in the same ball park as the Dillon.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Potsy
I’m looking at the basic 550.
I just want to size and bell on the press, then prime and dump powder outside of the press, the seat and crimp on the press.
Not the way most guys do it, but a better “fit” for me.
Plus I don’t have to buy their dies.
The SDB would give you volume handgun, and a LEE Classic Turret would give you on press/off press rifle cartridge operations for a lot less money. But it is two presses. The SDB requires both sides access whereas the LCT just needs left-side access.

I load 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, 44mag on my SDB and a number of different rifle cartridges on my LCT.

My setup:
https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyhintstricksideas/home/reloading-bench

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
XL750

Clos

NRA Life Member

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
364 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.