Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
If you guys were picking somewhere to get your tailwheel endorsement this summer... which operations would you look into, and which would you avoid? Probably looking at the last week of July, preferably within a semi reasonable drive of ANC. Thanks in advance for any input!

BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by OXN939
If you guys were picking somewhere to get your tailwheel endorsement this summer... which operations would you look into, and which would you avoid? Probably looking at the last week of July, preferably within a semi reasonable drive of ANC. Thanks in advance for any input!

Do you own or have access to a friend's tail-dragger...??? Very few flight schools inventory a tail-dragger, or know who they can borrow one from for training. I never got an endorsement. I am guessing that is something needed to "rent" one, but I suspect it would be hard to find one to rent, as they would assume where you were going with it would "NOT" be covered by their insurance.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Blue River Aviation in Palmer has a couple cubs that they train in. Looks like maybe 3 cubs, but one will be on floats. Seem awfully proud of them, but then again, if you have priced a cub lately their rentals might be perfectly in line. They get good marks from people I know that have flown with them recently.

If you have your own plane, or access to a plane, there are lots more options.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Insurance typically requires that rental aircraft depart from an asphalt runway and "ONLY" land on an asphalt runway, sometimes requiring said runways have at least two windsocks.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
There appears to be a variety of flight schools that offer tailwheel courses of instruction, and that's how I'd be doing it as I don't own one or know anyone who does. Unless anyone on here wants to work a deal! Current CFI, commercial ASEL/AMEL/ASES etc

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Another option for getting a plane is to join a club and use their plane(s). May or may not be feasible, depending on how long you'll be here. AOPA has a flying club directory by airport. Here's the listing for Merrill Field. https://www.aopa.org/destinations/airports/PAMR/details#flyingclubs

You'd just have to call around and see who has a conventional gear plane. Probably not worth it for just a taildragger endorsement, but who knows?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son has been working on getting his private pilots license for almost 2 years now. A deployment, weather cancellations, and lack of IP’s seems to be his biggest issue. My son has been going through Angel at Merril Fld, but is switching to Blue River in Palmer after this spring for all of his other ratings. He claims their price is now cheaper and they have assured him their will not be a lack of IP’s either.

Last edited by Hudge; 01/25/23.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
There was a club on Joint military base in Los'Anchorage, it was cheap. May not be there now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AGL4now
There was a club on Joint military base in Los'Anchorage, it was cheap. May not be there now.
No they are still there. My son’s issue is his work and college schedule that plays into it now. Up until last year it was all valeted due to COVID.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by AGL4now
No they are still there. My son’s issue is his work and college schedule that plays into it now. Up until last year it was all valeted due to COVID.

I was getting an IFR rating there, and having never been in the military, it was a super treat for me to shoot an approach and have the instructor say take the hood off, I was 50' off the threshold coming in over Cook Inlet onto Elmendorf Base. I still get excited thinking about that.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My first and highest recommendation would be Dean Paulson, Eagle River. He flies out of hood and Merrill mostly. Birchwood too. This would be a provide your own aircraft thing though, pros and cons there. He works for himself and is a fantastic instructor. Has a very solid real life Alaska aviation background, and taught at UAA at one time. He’s done a little bit of everything, and truly loves teaching from what I’ve seen. Most beneficial time with an instructor I’ve personally spent. Let me know if you want his contact.
Another good outfit already mentioned is Blue River. Not sure who you’d fly with, but they are a very well run and successful flight school, and for a reason. I did most my ratings with them, and being in Palmer, have gotten to know Jamie and some of the folks there pretty well. They used to have a Champ for a wee bit more economical tail wheel trainer but I believe only current options would be pa18.
Anyways, that’s just based on my personal experience. There are undoubtedly many many other good options out there.
Good luck on your search, and apologies for the unsolicited advice….but one of the things that I finally got brave enough to do was to move on to a different instructor if things weren’t clicking. It’s nothing personal and any good instructor will know that and encourage that mentality. People teach, and learn differently. It’s amazing how important that is, in my opinion.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 1973cb450
My first and highest recommendation would be Dean Paulson, Eagle River.
+1, Dean is great.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I learned to fly in a tail wheel, on skiis. Easier to start with but the transition to wheels was tricky. If you already have flight experience try starting on skiis.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son just told me Monday they Angel is coming to Palmer. Since my son is already flying with them, he’s going to stay and fly in Palmer with them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Don't learn in a M4 Maule.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I liked Nosewheel Man so I thought you Alaska guys that love Beavers (the DHC 2 kind) might like the Beaver song by the Fretless Bar Girls.

Last edited by Swifty3881; 02/24/23. Reason: spelling

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.