Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I’m posing this question full knowing that pistols are less than ideal for any bear but the conversation came up and I think it has some merit for discussion. I run with a crew that hunts black bear in Michigan with hounds so, this doesn’t include grizzly. Some of us carry our carry sidearms for trash (coons,coyotes etc) and the question comes up if we we’re caught with our pants down with a bear (no rifle,just pistol) is our load capable of saving our hide and which bullet is better for the task. The debate boiled down to is a hollow point or FMJ better for the job. We all happen to carry Semi autos of 40 S&W and 45 ACP flavor as these are concealed carry rigs. And, I’m looking into a 10 mm for this reason. Fortunately none of us ever had to rely on our pistols for this over the years so none of us have any “real” experience saying which is better. Points brought up are hollow points dump energy better with a counter point of a pistol round won’t impress a bear with energy and penetrating vitals would be better. Both valid arguments. What say you?

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
FMJ should have a flat metplat for better effect than a round nose that slips through tissue without creating a big wound channel, and can be easily turned from a straight line of penetration after impact.

Bears being chased by dogs and shot at will likely be seeking flight rather than fight. Still if hunting in a group, a backup man with 12ga slugs could offer insurance of a sort. Just sayin'.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Break bones and deep penetration are key.

Hard cast lead with a substantial meplat is the go-to.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
A 230gr SWC at +P level would be my choice in my 1911 45 ACP. No experience hunting bears but that bullet would cut a wide and very deep wound channel with enough mass to break bones. If I remember correctly, 8.5 grains of Power Pistol is the load used under 230 gold dots. Snappy recoil but manageable. The gold dot at that level is rough on coyotes. Never did stop one, exited every time.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Trust me, we roll with fast handling 12ga and 3 inch Brenekke slugs and, normally they want to run the opposite direction. But, when they get over the 400 pound mark they can have a little attitude and want to slap things around before they leave. Usually those ones get shot with the rifle immediately. More of a “what if” question for conversation and I’m right with you. We often wonder about it though when we’re out checking baits and cameras as that’s when we’re a little lackadaisical. Pretty much hopping out of the truck with the phone in one hand and a bucket in the other and not paying attention. That would be about the time that a cranky boar would want to shag us off “his”bait.

Last edited by brinky72; 01/25/23.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Anyone try those Lehigh Defense bullets?

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Get a box of those heavy "Bear Loads" from Mackay Sagebrush for your 45 auto, he knows his way around good, heavy loads that will handle big animals.

Dick

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Energy…….The vast majority of handgun bullets have so little energy upon impact, it’s of zero consequence! Energy is vastly overrated!

Small bears, a quality JHP will probably work adequately. However, I’ll carry “only” heavy for caliber, wide metplat, cast bullets in my hunting handgun! My only bear kill with a handgun was with a cast bullet! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/25/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I don't go anywhere near Bear country without my 44Mag. I also keep my 500 around when camping. If you can only get one shot off you better make it count. I figure 2500 foot pounds of energy from my 450gn casting should get-r-done.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Montana Bullet Works has some good looking hard cast 200 grain bullets in 10mm/40 cal.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are into the reloading part of shooting, the powder Enforcer is relatively new, I think, and it capable of generating some great velocities without a corresponding increase normally seen in pressure for the 45ACP.

I have recently tried it in some loads I'm working on, 230g cast, and have shot them through a Commander with great results. However I haven't shot them through my chronograph for documentation purposes yet. The recoil was a notable increase yet the cases weren't ejecting into the next county. I think this powder has some great potential for use in 45ACP rounds for this kind of work dealing with bears

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pass through shots with a hardcast “bear bullet” might pose a danger to the dogs or your partners. I ‘d be tempted to use a tough soft point in black bear country.

FWIW, I live in MI “bear country “ and feel perfectly safe with my 9mm. I’m not hunting them though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Get a box of those heavy "Bear Loads" from Mackay Sagebrush for your 45 auto, he knows his way around good, heavy loads that will handle big animals.

Dick

Here is your answer. Be it 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Magnum, .45 ACP, or 10mm Mac has a good solid working load with a hard cast flat point at good working velocities. He has a website to order from.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WMR
Pass through shots with a hardcast “bear bullet” might pose a danger to the dogs or your partners. I ‘d be tempted to use a tough soft point in black bear country.

FWIW, I live in MI “bear country “ and feel perfectly safe with my 9mm. I’m not hunting them though.
What bullet do you use?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WMR

When we are on a bear with the hounds we are usually carrying a rifle if you’re the shooter or a 12 ga with slugs if you’re the backup. When we are most likely to be caught off guard is first thing in the morning when we’re checking baits and cameras and we are hopping out of the truck and not grabbing a gun besides the one on our hip. This is what inspired the conversation as one of the guys had jumped a not so afraid young boar off the bait.
I fired a PM off to Mackey Sagebrush and got some solid advice. I’m likely going to get a heavier aftermarket spring for my Sig 229 40 and some of his ammo. Likely pick up a couple hundred 200 grain hard cast from Montana Bullet Works as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by brinky72
Originally Posted by WMR

When we are on a bear with the hounds we are usually carrying a rifle if you’re the shooter or a 12 ga with slugs if you’re the backup. When we are most likely to be caught off guard is first thing in the morning when we’re checking baits and cameras and we are hopping out of the truck and not grabbing a gun besides the one on our hip. This is what inspired the conversation as one of the guys had jumped a not so afraid young boar off the bait.
I fired a PM off to Mackey Sagebrush and got some solid advice. I’m likely going to get a heavier aftermarket spring for my Sig 229 40 and some of his ammo. Likely pick up a couple hundred 200 grain hard cast from Montana Bullet Works as well.

Do you handload or do you plan to for the .40 S&W with hard cast? I plan to start handloading for both of my 10mm’s and .40 S&W. I ran some hard cast 200 gr. Bullets last summer in my .40 S&W while out ATVing in griz country. My main concern is lack of velocity of factory and boutique loaded hard casts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have several pistols for Woods Protection.

One is a Ruger 4.62" SuperBlackhawk. The load for it is a Beartooth Bullets 300 grain WFN at 1200 fps. These bullets don't seem to be available now, but Montana Bullet Works looks to have suitable replacements.

Next are one each in .45 Super, a 5 inch 1911 and a Glock 21. Both using the same load, which has been a Missouri Bullet Company 255 grain "Pinbuster" at about 1050 fps, or a Montana Bullet Works 250 grain LFN GC just slightly slower, about 1037 fps.

I also have two 460 Rowlands again a 1911 and a Glock 21. The 1911 is a Clark conversion, which seems to be well done. The other is an Authentic 460 Rowland kit in the Glock. I'm still shooting test loads in the Glock, but both seem to like the MBW 250 LFN GC a lot, which I'm loading just above Super levels. I'm going to try out the Hunter's Supply 275, looking to get 1050 fps out of them, my test load went 985 fps, so that goal seems reasonable.

Glock 45 Super.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

1911s, Rowland on top.

Meplats of the Pinbuster and the LFN GC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Itl been over 40 years since I bought my last black bear tag, and I really only hunted 2 balck bears. Both were DIY spot and stalk hunts resulting in one shot kills. Here's the bullets that I cast and used...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And my first black bear...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I handload and plan on replacing the recoil and firing pin in my Sig 229. I’m going to run some +P hard cast 200’s and some 180 HP to see what kind of performance I get. Keep in mind I’m hunting in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Only black bear here. Some biggins but no grizz. Couple wolves and a mountain lion or two. If I were in grizz country I’d be upping the ante a bit.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Having shot many deer with various bullet types and settling on LSWC led me to loading those in my .40 S&W for most uses.

However, I'm not necessarily in the "heavy for caliber" camp. Now it's 200 - 215 grain bullets in the .44 and 160 - 180 in the .40. all solids.

I use LSWC because I've not yet experimented with the WFN bullets. If they perform as advertised and expected (punched hole, not torn hole) I will have no qualms with them but will continue to avoid the "heavy for caliber" bullet. IE: 300gr in .44 and 200gr in the .40.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.