Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Any guns in your herd that you just like & enjoy owning? Guns maybe not easy to articulate why? Perhaps 'closet cases' lest any embarrassing inquiries... "What the heck?" Here's a 'out of closet' opportunity to 'render them up'. In format it's 'just OK' to have a 'favored piece' whthout need for convoluted excuses or explanation(s). If explanation convenient, feel free. If not... Then 'Not'! Gist... .Preferably 'let 'em all hang out - Centrfolds definitely preferred!

With some pretty damn nice pieces in my herd, there's this one. An under hundred dollars purchase decades ago. A milsurp German 98 Mauser AZ, small ring WWI or prior vintage military. 8mm S bore. All meaningful nomenclature lost in very 'pro' scrub! Net, handy, lightweight, fast pointing, good reliable shooter. Understated 'truck gun'! This humble mauser, likely a popular cagegory 'tween wars' cottage industry piece just damn well as cleverly done for what it is. Making 'most of least'! All military as residual recrafted with only sights and barrel band non-genre original added.

Truly Happy Holidays wish for all!
Best!
John

Attached Images
R195-2U.jpg (21.93 KB, 921 downloads)
R195-11U.jpg (22.14 KB, 908 downloads)
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Two mosin nagants.

I've enjoyed shooting them immensely. And back when surplus was available cheap I'd keep their barrels hot to the touch. Shot a couple nuisance (red tag) ag control deer with it over a several years period.

The real embarrassment is a hi point carbine in 9mm. Took it on trade after doing some work for a guy that couldn't pay.

Once again, it's been fun, but it's a little out of place. I've popped several coyote with it.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 12/24/22.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have never quite fit the definition of "main stream" in my gun selections. Most of what I've owned and own are odd ducks.

Embarrassing gun? Maybe the closest I ever came to that was a used 60's vintage Weatherby .300 Magnum, all the bells and whistles and gaudy as all get-out. I got it home and said to myself "whatinhell were you thinking?" Flipped it right quickly for a decent profit. Phew!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a 7.7 Arisaka that I picked up for $45 at a show (It was priced at $80, the owner said "Make me an offer." I replied "I don't want to offend you"; he said "There's no way you can.")

Bubba did some truly creative work sporterizing the stock before I ever saw it. There are no less than 14 different mismatched pieces of wood in it, and it has a $0.50 piece imbedded in the cheek piece. I think there is more money in the glue than in the wood.

It is far and away the ugliest gun I've ever owned, and it shoots as good as I can with iron sights.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, I'm embarrassed I have to shoot this one right handed!!!!!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It shoots around 1 moa, when my eyes are up to it... That is handicapped from the right side though...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
BSA! You mean you can't switch hands without missing a stroke! smile smile smile Need practice, practice, practice.... Just bit of a sticky wicket in the learning curve! That Swwede Target - is it a Model 41 reflecting 'root' Model 96 military based! Nice rifle and appears beautiful stock! That's not a dog! You're a lucky dog! Big difference!

Mr G, that postwar zoot suit Weatherby reflected Roy's earliest marks as getting serious beyond wildcat rifle builder! He'd arrived with a bang! Latter fifties era, I was in Weatherby's shop on Firestone Blvd as I recall, in Southgate (LA burb) Ca. Walk in & bought a FN based Sako 98 & had it rechambered to 300 WM! Had it stocked by Bishop in Mo. Yet with it and a 'pretty gun, but like yours, the stock architecture outdated! Never appreciated "big butts", guns or 'otherwise! smile

Thso, some of these rifles tend to get to especially creative pieces themselves! Usual problem when you go to replace parts and find yourself gazing at a 'no way' off the shelf component. At least none; such known since the Edsel Auto!

Mr. B, in conjuring the Moisn, feel I'm a visitor on a friendly planet. So much to know and nuances aplenty! My sole specimen a Type 44 Carbine from Big Five Sporting Goods for $00. Completely refurbed and looking good. Don't have & never had any ammo. From what I undertand they're great battle rifles!

My big thing, holding a rifle in my hands that was likely somebody's 'Baby'. Just as someday somebody as holding mine! As my stewardship expired!
So if you think your relationship with 'closet guns' is weird.... Think I'm 'point=set'!

Thanks again to ALL!
Happy New Years!
John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by iskra
postwar zoot suit Weatherby
You, Sir, have made my day, and added a new phrase to my vernacular.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In 1992 or 93 I ordered a 1895 7x57 Chilean Mauser from Century Arms in New Hampshire for as I recall around $85. No registration required. The bluing was worn but there was no rust, the action was tight with an ok crest and the bore had no pits with sharp rifling. The stock had 97 years worth of dings but no cracks or chips except for a crack in the handguard.

It was delivered to where I worked and there was plenty of WTF is that and why would you want something like that, etc. Wasn't exactly embarrassing but got to admit it wouldn't have looked too good to most people.

I shot a box of factory RN through it and put it in a corner of the garage as it was too tall with the 29" barrel to fit in the safe with out removing a shelf.

A few years ago it finally made it to the safe after I threw away the handguards and cut the stock down to sporter size but left it as I got it, not refinished, dings and all. Had the barrel cut and crowned at 22", turned the bolt handle, put a ramp front sight and an old Redfield #57 reciver sight on it and installed a Timney trigger. It shoots 139 Hornadys well enough out to as far as I can see now, I spent considerably more on it than I paid for it but it's a lot of fun to take to the range. Nobody rips on it anymore.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 12/28/22.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I know a guy that has bought a couple of horrible looking customized military rifles that were done by gunsmiths that were just starting out. His attempt to improve them only made them worse and he sold them for less than what he paid for them, and he didnt pay much for them to begin with.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Once in a weak moment I bought a 700 Remington. The shame and ridicule from friends & family was too much, rapidly traded it for whatever someone would offer.

IC B3

I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
In 1992 or 93 I ordered a 1895 7x57 Chilean Mauser from Century Arms in New Hampshire for as I recall around $85. No registration required. The bluing was worn but there was no rust, the action was tight with an ok crest and the bore had no pits with sharp rifling. The stock had 97 years worth of dings but no cracks or chips except for a crack in the handguard.

It was delivered to where I worked and there was plenty of WTF is that and why would you want something like that, etc. Wasn't exactly embarrassing but got to admit it wouldn't have looked too good to most people.

I shot a box of factory RN through it and put it in a corner of the garage as it was too tall with the 29" barrel to fit in the safe with out removing a shelf.

A few years ago it finally made it to the safe after I threw away the handguards and cut the stock down to sporter size but left it as I got it, not refinished, dings and all. Had the barrel cut and crowned at 22", turned the bolt handle, put a ramp front sight and an old Redfield #57 reciver sight on it and installed a Timney trigger. It shoots 139 Hornadys well enough out to as far as I can see now, I spent considerably more on it than I paid for it but it's a lot of fun to take to the range. Nobody rips on it anymore.

Dang, from your rework descriptions, think I bought more than a few of your reworks, perhaps two or three owners removed as typical 'decent Bubbas' making the rounds! smile smile smile
Best! & H.N.Y!
John

I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I've gotten a kick from those who've arisen to recite their Monkier and prior bubba occasions as "creators" or perhaps 'addicted to' in one degree or another. Far as I'm concerned "Little bit Bubba "under the influence" about as "little bit pregnant". The status differs as in pregnant raises the possibility of the abortion that many Bubbas reflect as "birthmarks! smile smile smile

My own Bubba addiction in two differng formats. As in some of my more than several accumulated, defined as pretty darn neat for what they reflected and bargain priced in same context. Some few as featuring a 'connect with some prior original owner as modified. Someone taking pride in their functional creation rather than simply consigned to behind-seat space of their pickup! 'The Bubba 'bout same situation as the truck containing. No discriminating thief ever to consider it "theft worthy"
Best & H.N.Y!
John

I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by 43Shooter

Dang, from your rework descriptions, think I bought more than a few of your reworks, perhaps two or three owners removed as typical 'decent Bubbas' making the rounds! smile smile smile
Best! & H.N.Y!
John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn’t say I’m embarrassed to own them, but they are out of the ordinary. I have 2 9mm Largo Spanish Destroyer carbines. One is disassembled to be reblued and stock redone. It has the coolest stock. Not sure what Spanish wood it is, but looks like our Tiger Stripe maple. The other is in decent condition but nothing special looking about it and I drilled and tapped it and mounted a scope on it. Both are quite accurate for basically being a thrown together militia rifles.

Doc_Holidude 😎

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I'm not familiar with your 'ordnance' described beyond the name. Would be great if you could 'stand & deliver' a few pix when convenient. A central category of the rifles I prosed as "Utilitarian", defined if it works, its good! By the simplicity of (here presumed) blow-back function handgun chambered rifles, far less to 'go wrong'. Such or as manifestations of guns requiring 'accuracy at range' to be 'reasonably functional'. Sounds to me like you have at least a winner & a half... Pending possibility of two! smile
Best!
John

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This is the most embarrassing POS I own. Post Sample Mark III Sten, integrally suppressed. They don't get much uglier than this.
But on a positive note, it actually runs perfectly, hits where it's aimed, and is very quiet with subsonic ammo.

Tony

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SCCY CPX-1. It looks fine but is not a great pistol. I bought it when Obama was elected. It was one of the cheapest 9mm handguns in the store and is the reason I bought it. It was a whopping $99.99. The proverbial Saturday Night Special!

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Got a 1909 Argentine which was sporterized, including a non-matching cheek piece/riser made of some kind of light colored wood. Also has a darker cap on the forend of the original military stock which was sanded and carved down into a Sporter shape.

Plan on shooting a deer with it this fall. First person in a long time with a 7.65x53 I bet.

I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
All a matter of 'perspective'!
'IF' it can be said that it works for you... According to the utilitarian, "functional approach..." It's deemed "good!"
Some times the question of aesthetics, aka "looks", can be subordinate to "functioning". A principal notable for instance, between 'bar closing hours' & 'dawn's early light'!
smile smile smile
Best!
John

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I tried convincing myself I don't have one of those but I'm wrong.

Jennings J22 semiauto pistol .22 LR
Nickel plated with "rosewood" grips.

Truly a cross between a pimp or a whores gun. Came new in the box and with a wallet holster. Pos shoots all over the place and doesn't function without jamming for more than 3 rounds anywhere in the magazine. Has one of those Nambu-esqe external trigger linkages that you can set off without using the trigger. A poster child for the Saturday Night Special/Flake Piece category. Came with an estate sale that was all or none so I had to take it. Funny thing is I can't get rid of it as NOBODY wants it. Tried trading it off to cover taxes on other purchases but no dealers will take it. I guess I'm going to be buried with the damn thing.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
-Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,276
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.