Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
with some respect , when momma grizzly and those 2 cubs came out 50-60 feet away if she came for me i would not have had time to get some de-icer out first ? and the next day we had the same kind of weather going up the mountain with our mules but i had my model 70 338 Winchester in a open leather scabbard and this rifle did not freeze up but my 2 friends 700`s both froze up again , 3rd day better weather but my friends kept their 700`s in a closed case after that and i led up the mountain on my mule after 2nd day on this hunt open scabbard and my model 70 . > glad you guys have had better luck with your 700`s than i have had and wish you great hunting and good luck. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pete53
rost495 , your full of B.S. and brag way to much. as far as Ruger rifles you need to open your eyes it seems the real Alaskans are using plenty Ruger rifles. you won`t see me with a frozen rifle ever again i learned take a better brand rifle with 3 position safety like a Ruger or Winchester.
lmao. Carry on. Using a safety can get you killed too... ignore as you feel the need to.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
rost495 , your full of B.S. and brag way to much. as far as Ruger rifles you need to open your eyes it seems the real Alaskans are using plenty Ruger rifles. you won`t see me with a frozen rifle ever again i learned take a better brand rifle with 3 position safety like a Ruger or Winchester.
lmao. Carry on. Using a safety can get you killed too... ignore as you feel the need to.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Its funny, guys are now mentioning dousing an ice or snow caked rifle with heet.

Never heard anyone talk about it, till I mentioned this tactic to kk alaska on this forum coupla years ago.

A friend of mine carried a container on my first Montague deer hunt in 1977. That trick has been around for a LONGGGG time. What is ironic is during the same trip I introduced the friend to carrying some black vinyl tape for wrapping around the muzzle.
tape. Yes. Heet yes. Though fortunately I've not had the need to use Heet so far... its there. And well, generally, a bottle of alcohol. Well technically 2... grins.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rost495

> a person just has to be smart enough to know when and where not to have a safety on and when it should be on that`s why the 3 position works best always. the other nice thing about a Winchester with a 3 position safety if you remove the bolt from the rifle a person can field strip the bolt and put back bolt back together. hopefully you have pick up a couple of tips from some of these other guides and hunters. good luck and be safe ,Pete53

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The Rugers will work well. Just never seen one in our guides or clients hands.

Mauser action 458 win mag has never let me down and has stopped enough brown bears to know it works.

And now I have lied. All this and I forgot a buddy had a client with a Ruger 416 ruger leave it as a tip and he now uses it. no flies on it.

Another has a blaser straight pull rechambered to 416 ruger. Thats a sweet rifle for sure.

So yup, I forgot, one ruger.

As to 3 position safety why? myself and other guides, never use safety. if there is a round in the chamber IE the need for it, the last thing I want is a safety failing. Hunt safety off, and may well remove it eventually, cold chamber as a guide until....and I maintain control of my rifle at all times so I know if the bolt might open... YMMV

Cold Chamber: I can perhaps/maybe agree with your sentiment…..as you are a guide/outfitter, hunting with folks you do not know. Muzzle control is paramount, but in a slip or trip loss of muzzle control “can” happen. However, the likelihood of both the safety being taken off at same the moment loss of muzzle control happens, is fairly remote!

I grew up hunting in “dog hair” thick timber/brush, where things could happen in fractions of a second. If you wanted/hoped to get a shot off …..you best be on high alert at all times, with a “hot” chamber and finger on or near the safety!

Several years ago a local hunter was still hunting along a game trail in heavy brush/timber…..with a “cold” chamber. He, unknown to him, got very close to a bedded grizzly. I can only surmise that he was very alert as he was still hunting with limited visibility….. He never got a round chambered, before the grizzly was on him!

These facts are verifiable from the hunter’s statement…… as the grizzly was “only” interested in escape and the hunter was in the bear’s chosen path of egress. The bear merely ran over the hunter, causing some minor injuries, while leaving the scene at a high rate of speed! “Cold” chambers are not always best!

The cold hard facts are, anything mechanical can fail…..and certainly human error most often plays an important role in accidental discharges. My father never trusted a safety, though he carried “hot”. When hunting he was constantly testing the safety by squeezing the trigger with the muzzle in a safe direction!

I do believe in a 3 position safety, as it must move through 2 positions to attain the fire position……unlikely in a slip or trip. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/25/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

> a person just has to be smart enough to know when and where not to have a safety on and when it should be on that`s why the 3 position works best always. the other nice thing about a Winchester with a 3 position safety if you remove the bolt from the rifle a person can field strip the bolt and put back bolt back together. hopefully you have pick up a couple of tips from some of these other guides and hunters. good luck and be safe ,Pete53

Holy Fugg, how hard is it to strip a Remington bolt? I'll agree that it isn't quite as easy as a Winchester, but it's certainly not hard to do either.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

Holy Fugg, how hard is it to strip a Remington bolt? I'll agree that it isn't quite as easy as a Winchester, but it's certainly not hard to do either.
+1

Laughing!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
What a fuqking blaviating lard ass... Swamplard
Do what one does best...

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Mainer yes using heet idea in the came from you we also talked about using heet in a 4 drowned wheeler to remove water from oil! Always have a container of heet in any of my machines. And xtra oil.

Dropped a round in the snow cold conditions ice from cartridge disabled my rifle could not close bolt or remove cartridge.

Last edited by kk alaska; 01/25/23.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
99% isopropyl alcohol works as good as HEET on iced up machinery and sometimes is even cheaper to buy

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One thing to keep in mind, yellow bottle heet is only effective against water and ice. It won't break down oily crud, like decades of different gun oils.

I build ported chainsaws, some of which have been seized.

The aluminum shards and bits of piston ring (from a seized piston) mixed with oily crud in the crank case won't release when I fill the crank with heet. I do this to inspect crank seals and case halve seal.

Then I dump out the alcohol and soak the crank case with sea foam.

Seafoam comes out looking like glitter. Gets all the debris and gunk outghta the crank, so it doesn't score the piston/cylinder on first fire up.

I do the same on complicated rifles that shouldn't be taken apart, like old BLR's.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 01/25/23.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by johnn
Do what one does best...

LMAO !

I see you're still sporting a bruised anal/ego because I guessed correctly on the "gundummy" who needs to be inside 100 yards to actually hit what he's shooting at, then uses his own blank melon to label others

bet you start convo's with ladies by "I'm a guide", like the nutjob vegans do, lol !

What next ? you want the general public to "thank you for your cervix ... ? ya big inflamed 'gina

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by johnn
Do what one does best...

LMAO !

I see you're still sporting a bruised anal/ego because I guessed correctly on the "gundummy" who needs to be inside 100 yards to actually hit what he's shooting at, then uses his own blank melon to label others

bet you start convo's with ladies by "I'm a guide", like the nutjob vegans do, lol !

What next ? you want the general public to "thank you for your cervix ... ? ya big inflamed 'gina

HAHAHA

Last edited by OGB; 01/25/23.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Holy Fugg, how hard is it to strip a Remington bolt? I'll agree that it isn't quite as easy as a Winchester, but it's certainly not hard to do either.[/quote]

yes the model 70 Winchester bolt is easier to strip out in the field and put back together ,plus the Winchester trigger does not freeze up like the 700`s can and you might not have time to get deicer out and unfreeze that trigger in time ? i don`t want a rifle that you question will the trigger work in these harsh conditions? or is it froze up again ? i had that dang Grizzly way to close to deal with that again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nobody is telling you what to hunt with. If a Winchester makes you feel all warm and fuzzy then by all means, go for it.
I've only hunted with a Remington 700 for 25 years up here and another 20 in Wet Washington. Never had an issue, but again, do what you want.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve grown up hunting in torrential rain and freezing conditions, not arctic conditions although I do hunt there occasionally, and I have never had my firing pin freeze up or my trigger fail. I have replaced the factory Remington triggers with Trigger Tech triggers but I don’t oil them nor do I oil the firing pin. I replace the factory springs and firing pins on my “dangerous game” rifles with extra power springs and good stainless firing pins but more importantly I keep them clean of pine needles, dirt and oil…oil is the biggest culprit of failures ime. People think that they’re doing themselves a favor with their liberal applications of various oils but all they are doing is creating the perfect conditions for eventual failure. Firing pin springs and trigger groups don’t need oil.

If I had a dollar for every WD40 nut that thought they were maintaining their firearms well with it I’d be rich.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

yes the model 70 Winchester bolt is easier to strip out in the field and put back together ,plus the Winchester trigger does not freeze up like the 700`s can and you might not have time to get deicer out and unfreeze that trigger in time ? i don`t want a rifle that you question will the trigger work in these harsh conditions? or is it froze up again ? i had that dang Grizzly way to close to deal with that again.[/quote]
Under identical conditions of deep cold and/or nasty wet any trigger can be made to freeze, and rather easily unless they have some dry slippery stuff in the trigger group.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[quote=pete53]Holy Fugg, how hard is it to strip a Remington bolt?[quote]

You need a penny or a dime. And you need to know how to do it. The "HUGE" danger is if the penny gets bumped out, which is very-very easy to have happen, it is a "HUGE" problem in the bush, even "if" you find the penny. It is near impossible other than in a "shop" environment.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’ve grown up hunting in torrential rain and freezing conditions, not arctic conditions although I do hunt there occasionally, and I have never had my firing pin freeze up or my trigger fail. I have replaced the factory Remington triggers with Trigger Tech triggers but I don’t oil them nor do I oil the firing pin. I replace the factory springs and firing pins on my “dangerous game” rifles with extra power springs and good stainless firing pins but more importantly I keep them clean of pine needles, dirt and oil…oil is the biggest culprit of failures ime. People think that they’re doing themselves a favor with their liberal applications of various oils but all they are doing is creating the perfect conditions for eventual failure. Firing pin springs and trigger groups don’t need oil.

If I had a dollar for every WD40 nut that thought they were maintaining their firearms well with it I’d be .
rich

Ok then, FWIW,,,,, WD40, 3in1Oil, CLP, etc, etc...... are all Rated Good Down to -81deg F +/-,,,, and I've been Hunting for 60yrs +/- now, and I've never had a Problem of this sort, I'm thinking there are other mitigating circumstances at play here,,,,, guy's not paying attention to their Firearms, and the Proper Care and Cleaning Methods Accordingly,,,,, I guess my Granddad and the Marine Corps taught me well...... grin
Lj cool

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

If I had a dollar for every WD40 nut that thought they were maintaining their firearms well with it I’d be .
rich

Ok then, FWIW,,,,, WD40, 3in1Oil, CLP, etc, etc...... are all Rated Good Down to -81deg F +/-,,,, and I've been Hunting for 60yrs +/- now, and I've never had a Problem of this sort, I'm thinking there are other mitigating circumstances at play here,,,,, guy's not paying attention to their Firearms, and the Proper Care and Cleaning Methods Accordingly,,,,, I guess my Granddad and the Marine Corps taught me well...... grin
Lj cool

Good for you…..GFY. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

85 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 673, 15 invisible), 1,112 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,480
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.