Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm reviving an old technique for shooting plain base rifle bullets. Wax wads. My first trial consists of A.O.Niedner's formula: 2 parts beeswax/2 parts Japan Wax/1 part colloidal graphite - as published in Phil Sharpe's handloading book, and measured out in ounces (2,2,&1). Initial mix didn't turn out too good, it was rather hard and flaky. I re-melted everything and added another 1/2oz. Japan Wax plus one teaspoon of castor oil. Bingo, it pours nicely onto wax paper and flows out to about a heavy 1/16" thick puddle. Cools/hardens quickly. Cut into 3"x3" squares and squirrel away with wax paper between them.

The plan is to use them in .32-40 breech seating. There's no risk of leading in the way I'm currently doing it (14 grains 4227, 1:20 alloy 185gr. bullet) but I'm always scouting for a little more of an edge in accuracy. Last season I hit upon using dental wax wads (available in sheet form, on eBay) in the mouths of these cartridges and I saw a distinct increase in accuracy out of my two .32-40 High Wall competition guns. But, I also discovered some fairly nasty hard wax buildup in the throat when I went to clean them. I didn't like the looks of that, despite the great accuracy. Hence the search for a friendlier wax wad - and I figured "why re-invent the wheel when guys like Niedner, Roberts, Sharpe, et al already did the legwork over 100 years ago?" (But actually their efforts were geared toward increased velocity with less or no leading.)

If it works as hoped I'll expand the experiment to other cast bullet applications. The old timers also used graphite-bearing wax wads behind jacketed bullets (for added velocity), but the reportage at the time had mixed reviews. We shall see about that also.

Protocol for use: simply press the sheet of wax over the mouth of the charged case, like a cookie cutter, leaving a thin wad of wax in the case mouth. Seat bullet, or in my instance shove the thing into the chamber behind a bullet pre-seated up into the rifling ahead of the chamber. I had been using wads punched out of 1/8" hard felt or card wads punched out of bar coasters - but they were more for keeping the powder from spilling out of the case on its journey into the chamber than an edge for accuracy or to combat leading.

Stay tuned boys and girls.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Bullet fit is more important than the other trivia.

Well said.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use GC’s in heavier loads.
There’s many different factors in getting good shooting cast loads. Some say it’s an art not a science, IDK. GC bullets almost always work for me as well as plain base. But I use plain base in many cartridges, mainly because the extra cost of the gas check isn’t worth it in mild loads.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Top group is the 311041 w/o the gas check. Why bother?

Bottom group is a plain base.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regarding bullet fit:
I have a new to me Model 71 348. I ordered .001” over-size and .002” over size cast bullets and took them to the range, identical powder in new cases.
The group size was as close to exact same size as I could measure with calipers.
It’s my opinion that bullets that are undersized except for perhaps near pure lead is more of a problem that oversized.

There are many ways to screw up cast bullets: too hard, too soft, imperfect bullet shape, undersized, imperfect lube, pushing too fast - it’s not just one thing.

Need GC?
I load 30-30 cast to the same velocity as jacketed bullets. I suppose it’s possible to do that successfully without GC’s, I have not done so. But I imagine others have.

Last edited by Bugger; 04/08/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.