R
RIO7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Out early this morning, seen a Bobcat in the fence, grabbed my rifle looked threw the scope and he ain't moving, Hell is he dead?? drove up close YEP! he's is hung up in the Barb wire, second strand laying on the third strand, He was hanging by his Balls from an old fence, couldn't get him loose so i cut the Barb Wire. Thought i had seen it all but this is a new one on me. Rio7

GB1

R
RIO7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Got a little Bitch Coyote mousing in the pasture also. Rio7

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If one believed in such things, that'd be one helluva an omen.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
doesn't look like he was dead long.

I've found a few deer skeletons from deer that got hung up by their hind legs in the fence and always thought that's a rough way to go.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Farmer I worked for put up woven wire fence, with barbed wire 4" above it on the
opposite side of the pole. Deer would misread the fence and the backleg would go
between the woven wire and the barbed wire, camming it tight as they twisted coming down. Never saw a live one, but a lot of dead ones.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I found this little guy a couple years ago.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Figured he was dead but was gonna get him down anyway. Nope he was still alive but had no feeling in his legs. Got him down and he laid there for 5-10 minutes then slipped off.
Can’t imagine how a cat could get hung up like that, pretty odd.

R
RIO7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
At one time or the other over the years I have seen just about every wild and domestic critter hung up in a fence, some alive some dead, but have never seen one caught by the Balls, Bobcats don't normally make this kind of mistake, he wasn't dead long, I came by where he was at 7:00 pm last night and I found him about 8:00 am this morning,he hadn't gotten stiff yet,

Fences can cause all kinds of problems for critters. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That kind of makes my nuts hurt!!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
I found this little guy a couple years ago.
Figured he was dead but was gonna get him down anyway. Nope he was still alive but had no feeling in his legs. Got him down and he laid there for 5-10 minutes then slipped off.
Can’t imagine how a cat could get hung up like that, pretty odd.

We have what looks like plastic chicken wire around the pavilions for solvent
storage at work. Supposed to keep the barn shallows out.
It helps, some still get in and nest. We have a good population of big blacksnakes too. They climb the posts and come in after the bird nests.

Somehow, several per year will thread their way through the "wire" and get hung up.
Most die, a few have been cut out alive. But it's risky, by the time we find them they
aren't in a good mood. Nothing dead smells quite as good as a snake hung there for a week in July. The smell is all out of proportion for a 2-3# animal.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mom has a large garden in Ks, with a 4’ tall wood fence and the bottom 12” is chicken wire. Couple years ago, she smelled something dead while gardening. She looked around a found a 4’ rattle snake that tried to go through the chicken wire. The snake made it part way, got stuck and died.

NRA Patron
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sad your cat aren't worth much, they have pretty spots.

R
RIO7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
True That. Rio7

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Seen whitetails on two different occasions run into a chain link fence, back up and run into it again and repeat the process several more times. One whitetail finally jumped the fence and the other just gave up trying and wandered off

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by RIO7

Out early this morning, seen a Bobcat in the fence, grabbed my rifle looked threw the scope and he ain't moving, Hell is he dead?? drove up close YEP! he's is hung up in the Barb wire, second strand laying on the third strand, He was hanging by his Balls from an old fence, couldn't get him loose so i cut the Barb Wire. Thought i had seen it all but this is a new one on me. Rio7

It’s not like a person sees a lot of predators hung up in a fence unless it’s a snare at a fence. That there is definitely something you’re not likely to find again.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Fences probably account for more critters than most would guess. About 35 years ago, I was driving down a road on my way to go deer hunting. A large doe ran out of the field to my right, across the road in front of me, and into the woods on my left. I continued down the road a bit, then pulled into a field lane, uncased my bow, and slowly snuck my way back just a little inside the woods. I thought I might catch her unaware if she had stopped after crossing the road. I found her 30 or 40 yards from the edge of the road. Dead. No signs of injury. There was a two or three strand barb wire fence just on the woods side of the road ditch. My best guess is she hit the fence, broke her neck, and made it that far. It was weird. Had fun convincing my brothers I had killed it by shooting it in the tail. Eventually, I had to tell them what actually happened.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The house next door had a chain link fence all around the back yard and a few years back it was vacant for a couple of months. Our driveway is right next to it on the south side and on the northwest corner there’s a big gate about 8’ across that had been left open.

I went to get in the car one day and a doe launched out of some lilies by the fence about 6’ away, scaring the snot out of me. It ran across their yard full bore and straight into the fence along the north side of the lot. It backed up and hit it again. After a couple of times I walked down to the southeast corner, thinking she would run away from me toward the gate. She finally ran out the gate and across the street.

Fast forward to the next spring, I walked out to the car and a tiny fawn went zorching out of the same lillies and did the same thing. Wham, right into the fence. 😳Rather than have it continue to run into the fence, I got im the car and left. When I got back an hour or so later, it had gotten out. I’m sure the momma doe had left it in hidden in the flower bed to go feed. I wondered if it was the same doe.

Last edited by navlav8r; 07/29/23.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Almost makes a man think twice about jumping a fence.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry a cheap front door mat in the truck that I throw over the fence when using my fence post step. Here we have a lot of four strand very tight fences, too low to crawl under, too tight to go through so the only way is over the top and I'm short. Sure.dont.want to look like that deer.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
friend of mine shot a deer in PENN several years ago and it had barb wire wrapped tight around one of its hooves. The whole foot was swollen and looked horrible

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Couple years ago my mom (90 years old) was working in her western Ks garden and smelled something dead. A little searching found a 3 foot long rattle snake, deceased. The snake tried to crawl through the chicken wire fence. It made it about half way through, got stuck and died.

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 12 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 686 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.