Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HeavyDove
Welcome to the world of NO STANDARD SPECS in the AR 10 WORLD.

Everybody including Ruger does their own dance with this platform.

Including port size, port location, gas tube length, buffer spring strength, buffer weight,.....yeah all of that and sometimes more or less depending on the manufacturer.
Remember this, if you start with said maker YOU STICK WITH THAT MAKER if you want 100% ease and success. You will have some parts fitting and getting awfully close from one company to the next and working OK. You just have to be prepared to test it all and make sure you have spare parts and you will be good. I learned all this when I put together two PSA G3's into .308 win.

Most company's seem to loosely follow the DPMS pattern up to a point. some closer than others which is a "kind of standard". Armalite paved the way but DPMS made it more reachable for gun nuts.
Alot of them do not know what they are doing since there is no standard, so they look over the shoulder of another manufacturer and copy what they have....including the bugs.
Ruger, PSA, POF, ....so on and so on all do this.

The biggest faults they all share are...port location, gas tube length, port size, buffer spring weight, and buffer weight. They will use a common AR15 buffer spring and standard buffer which is retarded its a full .308 win for gods sake not a small cartridge. Look around on the net and you will see what I am writing about.

I suggest a SpringCo red/orange buffer spring and an Expo Arms heavy buffer.
It will calm ejection and you wont need the adj. block unless you run a suppressor.

The 2 PSA G3's in .308 have 18" barrels.
BOTH run fantastic, out to 400 yards 3" groups with hand loads 168 grn ballistic tips which is a farting around load. I use that load for multiple .308's including bolt actions.
That being said I like them both. They run well. 4'o clock ejection and 5 feet away. I took off the adjustable gas blocks. The blocks worked but it was just once piece I did not want to have to worry about locking up or just crapping out. So I put a regular gas block on both.
I have hunted with both and the last thing you want is that stupid adjustable block not working on a hunt.

Dont get me wrong I have an FN FAL the adjustable gas block is the tits. Its big and field adjustable with a .308 shell. This cheap azz small set screws and chit everybody puts out is garbage. Ruger did it ok to a point but a real block would be like the FAL.

Designed CORRECTLY from the get go it would be great but NO, little allen screws and crap like that shows up.

Do I like them AR 10's, heck yeah, they are fun and and enjoyable to shoot.

Best
HeavyDove

Good post. I don't have much use for an AGB, but a lot of guys here love them. I don't run suppressed or switch things around on my rifles though. Once I put them together and they work well, I leave them alone. Low profile gas blocks have always worked flawlessly, so why mess with a good thing? The AR10 that I really like is my S&W M&P 10 Performance Center 6.5 Creedmoor. Sounds like it shoots about like your 308, maybe a bit better. Always sub moa 10 shot groups at 100 and at 500:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Dropped one out of the X-ring, but that was a horrible day for shooting. During the fires we were having, so the smoke was a hindrance:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here's a photo of mine as well since someone asked.

[Linked Image from media.discordapp.net]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Haven't really wrung it out yet, but my 20" Ruger SFAR is everything it's supposed to be.

At 80 or so rounds it been 100% reliable and indications are that it won't be hard to find / load sub MOA ammo.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That Ruger SFAR sounds like a nice option.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
maybe I missed it but I didn't see a Sig 716 listed, I think they are top notch.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I asked about the Sig 716 at the bottom of page 2 and didn't really get a response. They've had a few major revisions. Some call it generations. Which one are you familiar with?

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
So,,,,,,how bout someone making a list for us to go by when buying stuff to build our own

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by IA_fog
So,,,,,,how bout someone making a list for us to go by when buying stuff to build our own
See post 18030089. It's not a list, but a good explanation of the AR-10 World "Standards". Try to stick to the same patterns (Armalite/DPMS/...) and, if possible, same manufacturers.

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CopperSolid
Originally Posted by IA_fog
See post 18030089. It's not a list, but a good explanation of the AR-10 World "Standards". Try to stick to the same patterns (Armalite/DPMS/...) and, if possible, same manufacturers.

Who needs a list?

Try this

You guys really want to dive in head first. Go for it.. I've posted this many times before. I hope you like reading..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m liking the SFAR.

[img]https://imgur.com/a/gDMYxYr[/img]

Last edited by 32_20fan; 01/23/23.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Ruger SFAR looks like they've followed the POF idea of enlarging only the parts of the AR platform that are necessary for the larger .308 cartridge. I wonder if Ruger bought the patent rights from POF to make their own?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Light and ease of carry has its limitations. Ruger created a range toy. Carry it to your deer blind rifle, .... Not a combat rifle.
10,000 rounds later....of full power hunting loads....now lets look at that SFAR.

It might be ok....might.

.....FN FAL.....nudges your elbow...

Longevity is the name of the game for heavy use AR10's.

Last edited by HeavyDove; 01/24/23.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Handled several SFAR'S I Like the way they feel and their weight. The last Ruger I bought was a Ruger Americam Predator in 6mm Creed they short throated it and it went back to be fixed by warrantee, they did fix it. Just 1 dummy round cycled thru it by a QC would have told them there was a problem. They don't do any quality control anymore so I don't buy anymore NEW Rugers. Just got done doing a build with an Aero upper and lower , 20 " 1 in 10 twist so far it's good but not as light as I would like...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HeavyDove
Light and ease of carry has its limitations. Ruger created a range toy. Carry it to your deer blind rifle, .... Not a combat rifle.
10,000 rounds later....of full power hunting loads....now lets look at that SFAR.

It might be ok....might.

.....FN FAL.....nudges your elbow...

Longevity is the name of the game for heavy use AR10's.

Agreed. Durability/longevity to be determined on the SFAR. Not sure if my usage will be the guinea pig for that.

Packed the SFAR around this past weekend for 6-7 miles after hogs. Not too bad but not exactly fun. Much better than my AR-10 (Aero Precision). It seemed to check the boxes for my pig pursuits and so far liking it. Certainly won't experience on my behalf the round count demand as a combat rifle.

Found this video pretty interesting...

Last edited by 32_20fan; 01/24/23.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Firing 10,000 full power hunting rounds is a lot of wear and tear on any AR10 platform not to mention the cost (assuming Uncle Sugar isn't footing the bill). Never mind store bought ammo cost as even handloading 308 Win rounds today is expensive for most guys. The majority of AR10s on this site might see 500-1000 rounds in a year before being sold off or made a safe queen. Btw, no AR10 is Soldier proof.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Or maybe the adjustable nature of the gas plug on the SFAR will lead to better control and management of gasses?
I’m liking my new SFAR so far. We’ll see how things go!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I’m liking my new SFAR so far. We’ll see how things go!

I am still liking my SFAR also, but have more testing to do. Need to see if I can come up with a 155 gr. load that shoots as well as the American Gunner ammo, but with a faster velocity.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 33 invisible), 2,175 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,081
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.