Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
....in my experience, they've been incorrect/off 100% of the time on my orders directly from them. On the order just received, the barreled action won't drop in due to the channel being off and a standard M5 bm won't drop in due to the mag box area inlet being to tight. Dropping standard M5 pillars in, they aren't going to contact the action/bm.

Some great patterns, good comb heights, quality stocks, but it's extremely frustrating to receive a stock and have to work on it before the barreled action and/or bottom metal is going to fit. M5 is a standard, barrel contours are published....it's not some secret hidden specs they have to guess at. If an M5 won't fit, fix it before it's sent out. M5 pillars are a known height....send pillars that don't have to be fitted for them, though I can live with that...if the bm/action inlet was correct to start with.

Enough of my whining... It seems the best way to get a stock from Manners is second hand after someone else has fitted an action/bm to it.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Its baffling that Manners is so consistently bad on inletting. My experience has been similar. I love their product but doubt I would order another for this reason.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree but will say this....Manners quality of inletting is a hell of alot better than McMillan......I think McMillan uses a chainsaw to inlet their stocks....very ragged & rough!!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 01/26/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 300MAG
I agree but will say this....Manners quality of inletting is a hell of alot better than McMillan......I think McMillan uses a chainsaw to inlet their stocks....very ragged & rough!!!

I haven't ever seen one that was that bad myself. I guess everyone lets out a stinker now and again, and I am sure I am due for one after 25+ thru the years. I did have one that I sold on a Tikka not too long ago that was cracked in the inletting, McM took it back, repaired it and all is good now.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Manners is an operational disaster. I’m 0 for 2 and said I won’t waste my time or money again. And JCM, you way being way too kind when you say they make a quality product..they can’t make it to spec! How is that quality?

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Manners is an operational disaster. I’m 0 for 2 and said I won’t waste my time or money again. And JCM, you way being way too kind when you say they make a quality product..they can’t make it to spec! How is that quality?

I feel like the end product is a quality stock...good materials, stiff, light, etc. I agree, in saying "as received" it's poor quality.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My run of luck with McMillans continues to be quite good. I generally order 2 or so per year and have yet to send one back for anything. In fact the last 3 I've bolted on as received with no bedding and rifles are shooting .5 moa as is. Easy button in my experience. Won't be trying a Manners it sounds like.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Back in the day, we had the choice of Brown Precision or Lee Six (after they split). Stocks needed fitting; that's just the way it was. When Macmillan started selling CNC inletted stocks, everyone got spoiled and the snivel button became a default move. GD

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan

I feel like the end product is a quality stock...good materials, stiff, light, etc. I agree, in saying "as received" it's poor quality.

Agree.
I sent detailed measurements on an EH5, barrel, Broughton 4.1 magnum sporter R-700,, I did the detail work. < Better than boxing it up for a return trip back and who knows how long it would take them ? and would it be right this time?
Bunch of BS when you consider the cost -$700+.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by greydog
Back in the day, we had the choice of Brown Precision or Lee Six (after they split). Stocks needed fitting; that's just the way it was. When Macmillan started selling CNC inletted stocks, everyone got spoiled and the snivel button became a default move. GD

I've taken a lot of HTS/Bansner and Pacific Research from inlet blanks to finished over the last couple of decades. They were blanks, I expected the work.

When a stock is ordered to spec, it should arrive meeting those specs. If it's sniveling to expect to receive an inlet that matches the order I guess I'm guilty.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
\

I've ordered 7 McMillan stocks in the past two years, #7 arrived Saturday and #8 was ordered Tuesday, they all have fit as expected with M5 fitment perfect and barrel channels very good. Only one I had to send back was for a Christensen Arms rifle where the bolt rubbed against the stock. It worked fine but for the money, I sent it back anyway and they fixed it and had it back to me in three weeks if I recall correctly. I can't imagine waiting months for a stock and then not have it fit.

I have in-laws in Kansas City and I had the pleasure of visiting Manners and shouldering some of their stocks. The fellow who was helping me seemed to be smitten with the MS and he could not drag stocks out of the back fast enough for me to try (I couldn't help but think that had I been alone, my experience may have been different). I will tell you that some I thought I'd like I really didn't after shouldering them and others felt really good. The thing that impressed me the most is there was a young woman doing shipping prep and she had a pile of boxes to label and they just kept coming. I like their stocks and patterns but I don't have the patience to spend $800 and hope it might fit. McMillan may not be as cool as Manners but they make it a lot easier and the wait is about 10 weeks based on my purchases.

This is the one I installed Saturday, barrel clears the stock up to the receiver by the thickness of a piece of paper.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by 257Bob; 01/26/23.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 30338
My run of luck with McMillans continues to be quite good. I generally order 2 or so per year and have yet to send one back for anything. In fact the last 3 I've bolted on as received with no bedding and rifles are shooting .5 moa as is. Easy button in my experience. Won't be trying a Manners it sounds like.

My experience has been similar with McM. Never an issue

I’d heard great things about Manners so thought I’d give them a try. Like i said above, 0 for 2. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me…

Last edited by ShortMagFan; 01/26/23.
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I'm 2-0 for manners with my 3rd on order.

Both of my MCH-8s fit my M7 is .260 with Bartlen 2B and my M7 in .350RM with Rem Mag sporter fit without issue and both were done in 21 and 22. I've got a MCH-8 on order now for a 700LA. My smith; Jeff at Rivers bend Go Co. recommends them, plus they give a good .GOV/Veteran discount. They're local and I've visited a couple times to try stocks and have been treated well both times.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

That has not been my experience at all. Between myself and friends I’ve ordered dozens of McMillans over the last 15 years or so. Only one had to be sent back. I only have a sample of 1 manners but it was not a plug and play at all. My gunsmith fixed it so it was close but it’s a shame a B&C will bolt right up and a $900 manners doesn’t.

This manners is my favorite stock(LRH) for what it’s worth. It’s just pathetic that what seems to be so many peoples favorite stock maker and one of the more expensive makers can’t inlet a stock correctly.

To be fair I ordered a expensive stock from stockys waited 3+ weeks for it and it was wrong too. I ordered the vertical grip stock for a Howa mini and after playing around figured out it’s close on top for a model seven. He bottom is not correct for a seven floor plate though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have 50++ MacaMilion's and never a "glitch" in any of 'em. Pards are good for that many and more,less a single "issue". Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I only have a sample of 1 manners but it was not a plug and play at all. My gunsmith fixed it so it was close but it’s a shame a B&C will bolt right up and a $900 manners doesn’t.

This manners is my favorite stock(LRH) for what it’s worth. It’s just pathetic that what seems to be so many peoples favorite stock maker and one of the more expensive makers can’t inlet a stock correctly.

Curious what didn’t work with the LRH. I have a few and friends several more with both pillars and mini chassis and without issue as all have been plug and play.

As far as I understand it’s literally cut to fit all r700’s due the low sides that negate any issues with ejection ports or bolt releases and all I have seen are cut for proof sendero so most any barrel profile fits.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've only ordered 1 stock. A Manners flattop was in stock. I selected my options which was a specific AICS bottom metal (Seekins) and Kelblys Atlas Tactical.

I got pillars with the stock and with the bottom metal. I can't remember what ones I used. I remember one being longer and would require trimming. The other set was perfect. Bed the bottom metal, pillars and action in devcon and it fit perfectly. No issues whatsoever...pretty easy job and was my first... Maybe got lucky.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
....in my experience, they've been incorrect/off 100% of the time on my orders directly from them. On the order just received, the barreled action won't drop in due to the channel being off and a standard M5 bm won't drop in due to the mag box area inlet being to tight. Dropping standard M5 pillars in, they aren't going to contact the action/bm.

Some great patterns, good comb heights, quality stocks, but it's extremely frustrating to receive a stock and have to work on it before the barreled action and/or bottom metal is going to fit. M5 is a standard, barrel contours are published....it's not some secret hidden specs they have to guess at. If an M5 won't fit, fix it before it's sent out. M5 pillars are a known height....send pillars that don't have to be fitted for them, though I can live with that...if the bm/action inlet was correct to start with.

Enough of my whining... It seems the best way to get a stock from Manners is second hand after someone else has fitted an action/bm to it.

When they used to come with the pillars already glued in, it was better. I presume that the LOP I specify will be ignored or wrong about 50% of the time, plus I started ordering the barrel channel larger than I needed for similar reasons, and still the last EH-3 I got came inletted for a sporter when I specified for a number 4. I like the stocks so I just put up with it.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I only have a sample of 1 manners but it was not a plug and play at all. My gunsmith fixed it so it was close but it’s a shame a B&C will bolt right up and a $900 manners doesn’t.

Curious what didn’t work with the LRH. I have a few and friends several more with both pillars and mini chassis and without issue as all have been plug and play.

As far as I understand it’s literally cut to fit all r700’s due the low sides that negate any issues with ejection ports or bolt releases and all I have seen are cut for proof sendero so most any barrel profile fits.

I tried 2 different 700’s a Borden and a rim x. Everything just flopped around in it. Almost like it was way over inletted if that’s a word. A friend of mine helped me with pillar bedding it to the rim x 17wsm and it’s a dandy. My favorite stock I’ve used hands down. Maybe I’m lazy or easily impressed but I’m also blown away by the 17wsm. I haven’t shot factory ammo in a long time and it’s pretty cool to just put parts together add a scope trigger then magazine full of ammo. Shoot adjust the scope and carry on.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

I haven't ever seen one that was that bad myself. I guess everyone lets out a stinker now and again, and I am sure I am due for one after 25+ thru the years. I did have one that I sold on a Tikka not too long ago that was cracked in the inletting, McM took it back, repaired it and all is good now.

That sucks about Manners and Mcmillan as well. I was thinking the same thing about stocks yesterday. It still erks me that Mcmillan can't get the bottom metal inletting right on their model 70 stocks. Particularly the pre 64 model 70 inletting. You don't know how many times I've had to fix this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I can definitely feel the OP's frustration. These companies have nice state of the art CNC equipment. They should be natzs azz on their inletting. The last pre 64 I bought has a Mcmillan on it and the smith just ground the hard to find $100 trigger guard. I'd like to slap the dog schidt out of that guy:

What a fn hack...^^^ You see that though, from many "gunsmiths", then I have to come in and fix schidt the best I can..:

Had to reshape that one a little more and polish it out, but it's much better now. A little paint on the stock and that one was good to go:
I often have to redo other's bedding jobs as well.. Don't even get me started on working on those damn Brown Precision PoundR stocks. The kevlar in those fights you every step of the way. You would think at the prices these guys are charging, the inletting would come out perfect. I'm always going to know I have to glass bed my own, but having a rifle drop right in with little fuss is always a relief. The last mcmillan I bought was for a Tikka T3x CTR. It was not even inletted for the flats at the action screw areas. It has aluminum pillars, so those and the stock had to be milled down a little to allow for proper fit:
I'm not going to complain too much about that one. Only paid $400 for it on ebay. ^^

Sweet stock, but I was surprised to see the lack of proper inletting for the action. The guy I bought it from was probably getting schidt poor accuracy with it. I quickly inletted the 2 problem areas and glass bedded it. Problem solved..

The thing that is funny as hell is a cheap azzed ($500) B&C for a Tikka I have was perfectly inletted. Aluminum bedding block was damned near perfect. Again, it gets glass bedded though:

That's just how it goes when you mess with any brand of stock. I'd think we should expect more out of the higher dollar ones though. JMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,545
Posts18,453,457
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.