Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Only time I've been to Texas, was driving on I40 out to Arizona for some desert mule deer bowhunting. And that stretch of I40 through Texas in January, is nothing to see! It was cold and the wind was blowing! And yes, I kept singing "Amarillo By Morning..." Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I can't figure why anybody'd want to live in Texas.

Stand in a pecan-lined west Texas river bottom at gobble time listening to 30 gobbling Rios on the limb and you'll understand MY draw to the Lone Star state.
What was the temperature, how many poisonous critters do you have to dodge and how much do you have to pay to hunt ?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I think I'd pay to do that at least once Yoder...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Spending several thousand dollars a year on lease fee's and deer feed just to sit in a box blind and shoot a few deer and pigs doesn't sound the least bit appealing to me but apparently Texans don't mind it.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Not what I'm talking about Blackheart. But if that's what someone "wants" to do....

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 01/28/23.

NRA life member

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Not what I'm talking about Blackheart. But if that's what someone "wants" to do....
I knew it wasn't what you were talking about. Just a general statement. I don't think most Texans feel they have much choice if they want to hunt though. It's pay for those exorbitant lease fee's and feed or don't hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Stand in a pecan-lined west Texas river bottom at gobble time listening to 30 gobbling Rios on the limb and you'll understand MY draw to the Lone Star state.

Several years ago, I went scouting for turkeys.
In an Oklahoma pecan grove bottom, I watched 6 toms in a sparring match. What a racket!
The bird in my avatar was one of the six.
I saw where the birds came into the field and figured, "Opening day, I'll be set up in that little draw over there!"

Opening day rolls around and I'm all hunched up next to a willow tree with my shotgun over a dead cottonwood.

I sit in the dark and wait, and I wait, and I wait! Nothing!
Way off in the distance, I finally hear a gobble!
Then all hell breaks loose!
Yikes! I've set up "UNDER" their roost and there had to be at least 10 to 12 gobblers!

BTW! My avatar IS NOT a Merriam's, it's a Rio backlit by the sun!
I call it my "Neon Tom" picture!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What was the temperature, how many poisonous critters do you have to dodge and how much do you have to pay to hunt ?

This was 2015, I believe.

Morning temps were in the 50's.........maybe lower 60's. I relieved one d-back of his noggin with my Gerber. Saw 2 others. Was at the same place another year and never saw a toothy snake. Just don't sit down in thick grass if you can help it and watch where you put your hands down. The hunt was 3 days. Guide dropped me off an hour before gobble time and picked me up when I called him. The outiftter's lease was 26000 acres out of a 280,000 acre ranch. It was pure turkey hunting. In 2 trips there and a TON of walking, I never saw an active corn feeder except in the front yard of the lodge house. And those birds were STRICTLY off limits.

3 days hunting (2 bird hunt), lodging and home-cooked meals cost me $1350. We drove. If you flew, the price included pick-up and drop-off at the San Angelo airport.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Morning temps were in the 50's.........maybe lower 60's. I relieved one d-back of his noggin with my Gerber. Saw 2 others. Was at the same place another year and never saw a toothy snake. Just don't sit down in thick grass if you can help it and watch where you put your hands down. The hunt was 3 days. Guide dropped me off an hour before gobble time and picked me up when I called him. The outiftter's lease was 26000 acres out of a 280,000 acre ranch. It was pure turkey hunting. In 2 trips there and a TON of walking, I never saw an active corn feeder except in the front yard of the lodge house. And those birds were STRICTLY off limits.

3 days hunting (2 bird hunt), lodging and home-cooked meals cost me $1350. We drove. If you flew, the price included pick-up and drop-off at the San Angelo airport.
Yikes, pretty steep price for a couple birds and a few home cooked meals. I doubt I spent that much for the last 40 deer I killed. Most of my hunting is done within 10 miles of home and a good bit right out the back door. I know I killed six last season and spent less than 200.00 total for license/tags, ammo and gas. Would have been less but I went to my buddies camp a couple times and that's an hour away. The rifles I used more than paid for themselves in venison long ago. If I were going to spend 1300.00 to hunt turkeys the limit would need to be 50 birds and the lodging needs to include hookers and blow. LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yikes, pretty steep price for a couple birds and a few home cooked meals. I doubt I spent that much for the last 40 deer I killed. Most of my hunting is done within 10 miles of home and a good bit right out the back door. I know I killed six last season and spent less than 200.00 total for license/tags, ammo and gas. Would have been less but I went to my buddies camp a couple times and that's an hour away. The rifles I used more than paid for themselves in venison long ago. If I were going to spend 1300.00 to hunt turkeys the limit would need to be 50 birds and the lodging needs to include hookers and blow. LOL

To each his own, I reckon. 😉

Six is a pretty solid spring !!! 😉👍 What states did you hunt ??

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I want to hunt 7-9 states every spring, but don’t need to hunt more than 3-4.

Don't gobble at me
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

To each his own, I reckon. 😉

Six is a pretty solid spring !!! 😉👍 What states did you hunt ??
Never shot six turkeys in the spring but being frugal like I am, I have killed two with one shot. Twice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fullfan

Hey, FF !!!!!!!!! Good to see ya around !!!

Up until this year, I never considered any more than 2 or 3 states per spring. But, it appears that retirement MAY be a possibility for me in the foreseeable future.............. I may become a bit more of a roadie from here on out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Up until this year, I never considered any more than 2 or 3 states per spring. But, it appears that retirement MAY be a possibility for me in the foreseeable future.............. I may become a bit more of a roadie from here on out.
How do you find the time ? Spring is a busy time on a Christmas tree farm planting and fertilizing. How many seedlings do you plant each year and how many trees do you have to fertilize ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

How do you find the time ? Spring is a busy time on a Christmas tree farm planting and fertilizing. How many seedlings do you plant each year and how many trees do you have to fertilize ?

Some things you MAKE the time for.

Generally, everything we have to do in the spring is completed a month or more before our season starts. We plant 3K to 6K per year. Fertilizing is on an as-needed basis. That generally happens late February or early March.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Generally, everything we have to do in the spring is completed a month or more before our season starts. We plant 3K to 6K per year. Fertilizing is on an as-needed basis. That generally happens late February or early March.
Winters must be quite a bit shorter where you are than here. We couldn't start planting and fertilizing until April. February and March the ground is generally frozen and covered with snow here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Winters must be quite a bit shorter where you are than here. We couldn't start planting and fertilizing until April. February and March the ground is generally frozen and covered with snow here.

Quite often fertilizing is done with snow on the ground. Melting snow leaches it in.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Quite often fertilizing is done with snow on the ground. Melting snow leaches it in.

Being retired I have lots of time. Met a guy back in Dec. We both were in Idaho trying to get the 23 elk tags, he has 7k acers in Kansas. Said I'm more than welcome to hunt it this spring. Headed for Missouri on 4/13 and plan of sliding over to Kansas for a bit.

Mr. Yoder how ya been?? I just got banned from Gobblernaton. Reason they gave me was, I was trying to sell TSS. When all I did was mentioned, I knew a guy selling 18g stuff for 42.00 a pound. Old Brice got his panties in a bunch I guess...

Don't gobble at me
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
FullFan
I know several that got ban from there because of selling TSS. Brice does not like competition and is big buddies with Tommy. I am a member there and don't go there much as I figure I would get banned for knowing and being friends with some that sold TSS.

Last edited by pullit; 02/03/23.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fullfan----You're Welcome here !!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
575 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 12308300, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.