Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anyone take the area 7 survey about the proposed change to a general unit?

If they don't make general area regions like proposed, might make the point creep for general tags go way up for NR's that don't get to buy otc like residents....

I wonder if anyone has looked at an hma type situation where applicants apply to hunt private on a limited entry basis with a trespass fee attached. Perhaps have required videos that explain the rules for each property. General is just going to push elk off of public quicker probably earlier.

Or maybe a limited entry muzzleloader season in September, it might increase harvest rate but also probably push elk to private.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 01/25/23.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
After seeing this post I went to WY G&F website and looked up there survey request.

I'm probably pretty slow but I don't understand what they are proposing. Can some one provide a simple explanation?

Bill

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Westman
After seeing this post I went to WY G&F website and looked up there survey request.

I'm probably pretty slow but I don't understand what they are proposing. Can some one provide a simple explanation?

Bill

It appears making the area a general tag instead of a limited entry tag is a possibility by 2024. The area is over population objective.

Hint, the population is more related to land ownership than tag allocation.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yeah, I've been trying to get drawn for a while now but point creep has it just out of reach. And, now the outfitted hunts are getting to expensive. I need to find a place to burn my points on a dyi hunt.

Thanks for the explanation!

Bill

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yeah, I've been trying to get drawn for a while now but point creep has it just out of reach. And, now the outfitted hunts are getting to expensive. I need to find a place to burn my points on a dyi hunt.

Bill

It would be interesting to see how many points it would take to draw as a general area

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
it could go general for 7 tags for all i care. didn't get my 7 tag filled. then again i didn't even bother to hunt it.

but honestly it's just gonna push even more elk into wagonhound land even earlier.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Bill

It would be interesting to see how many points it would take to draw as a general area

2022 the regular draw was 4 for sure, 3 maybe. Special was just under 4 (averaged). 2023 - all bets are off with proposed changes coming down the pike. Newburg put out a deal recently saying burn your points this year in WY.... Hello point creep....

I have 4 points - I sucked it up and entered the special draw this year.

He went over yonder way
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Jackson are you familiar with area 7 or just commenting on the proposal?
Been way over objective for elk for many years and yes access can be the issue.
Wagonhound will not want more elk on their place, they also have issues with too many elk.
Many HMAs in the area, walk in areas too.
Some landowners want lots of elk and many are now seeing the issue with too many.
Access needs to be addressed there to make a difference.
Same in area 6, too many elk but yet no access to hunt them where they go for winter.
At least Area 7 has some access and more public land.

They made area 6 a General area years back and poaching / trespassing became an issue right away. It also did not make any difference in the amount of elk taken, still too many and most on private and LOs complaining.

Be interesting for sure if it happens in area 7.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
i've applied 7 times now for a general elk tag and haven't got one.. didn't buy points the first 2 times.. at 4 points i "should" finally drawthis year but awe shucks newkook didn't do me any favours

if 7 goes general i still won't hunt there. that's considering i have a good friend in douglas with good real time data. good bulls sure seem to hit private quickly

i'd rather ride horses in somewhere s else.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by wytex
Jackson are you familiar with area 7 or just commenting on the proposal?
Been way over objective for elk for many years and yes access can be the issue.
Wagonhound will not want more elk on their place, they also have issues with too many elk.
Many HMAs in the area, walk in areas too.
Some landowners want lots of elk and many are now seeing the issue with too many.
Access needs to be addressed there to make a difference.
Same in area 6, too many elk but yet no access to hunt them where they go for winter.
At least Area 7 has some access and more public land.

They made area 6 a General area years back and poaching / trespassing became an issue right away. It also did not make any difference in the amount of elk taken, still too many and most on private and LOs complaining.

Be interesting for sure if it happens in area 7.

Nope, never been there.......

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 02/23/23.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
good bulls sure seem to hit private quickly

Oh ya

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 02/23/23.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Turning 7 general won’t do anything but get outfitters more clients and push elk around even more on the public areas.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I think they are hoping it pushes the elk around the public land. Move the elk around all season.
Might just be a ploy to get more landowners to allow access too maybe, threat of general or allow some access to thin the herd.
Too many elk for sure though, same in 6.

Never applied for 7, just don't want to hunt in that zoo of thousands of tags. We hunt in 6.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You are one incredible genius.

You do know wildlife damage claims come with stipulations, don't you?

I think they are hoping it pushes the elk around the public land. Move the elk around all season.
Might just be a ploy to get more landowners to allow access too maybe, threat of general or allow some access to thin the herd.
Too many elk for sure though, same in 6.

Never applied for 7, just don't want to hunt in that zoo of thousands of tags. We hunt in 6.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I know more about wildlife damage claims in Wyoming than you.
Need to allow public access to get damage claims.
Your reading comprehension is suspect.
Most large landowners do not submit damage claims in area 7, the ones that do allow hunting.
Elk population is over objective in area 7, not enough LOs allow hunting for a reasonable trespass fee or for free so elk keep multiplying.
Large ranch like Wagonhound, 300,000A is not quite at their tipping point yet but close.

Trolling threads you knowing nothing about, good look on your part.
I know many LOs in area 7 how about you?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Can anyone link me to the survey or a WGFD statement?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BigGrz
Can anyone link me to the survey or a WGFD statement?

They sent it too folks that applied for the area in the last 5 years I think it was.
They have a few options for making changes but I can not find a link, they have closed the comment period.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Are you seriously a Wyoming resident?

You did say hunt area 7 was a bad choice to hunt......terribly limited access.....right?

Everyone knows, over-objective means you'll never see elk. Typical HuntTalk expert analysis.

I know more about wildlife damage claims in Wyoming than you.
Need to allow public access to get damage claims.
Your reading comprehension is suspect.
Most large landowners do not submit damage claims in area 7, the ones that do allow hunting.
Elk population is over objective in area 7, not enough LOs allow hunting for a reasonable trespass fee or for free so elk keep multiplying.
Large ranch like Wagonhound, 300,000A is not quite at their tipping point yet but close.

Trolling threads you knowing nothing about, good look on your part.
I know many LOs in area 7 how about you?

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Was out in unit 7 today...fishing was fair at Mike Weiner's favorite lake.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Toltec Reservoir? That is my favorite spot, Buzz. Stay away, they're susceptible this time of year.

Were your other favorite weiners there, Brad and Greenhorn?

We catch fish there, on occasion. Absolutely no desire to post pics-for-praise, however.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 31 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.