Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Has Nosler gone FULL Queef and stopped making them?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Look again. On the shelf right next to the 7mm and 30cal Ballistic Tips. Oh, wait....never mind. Must be a "Supply Chain" thing. Or something........

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ukrainian snipers demand nothing but the best……😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
May be one of those spiffy MBA types from the old Remington managed to land at Nosler and started thinking:

Partitions? ain't those things like really old, and OMG, no plastic tip and not bonded??? Whose gonna buy that crap?

My formula crammed spreadsheet says to drop that POS from the product line and spiff something up with, oh, how about fluorescent plastic tip? Yea, all my education says we'll sell bunches of them.

That, or mebbe more hats...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Jorge1: I have a lifetime supply of my beloved Nosler 30 caliber 165 grain Partitions.
I suggest (apparently YOU have NOT learned!) that if you have a favorite load/loading component that you set aside a lifetime supply of that item.
I have weathered several "shortages" over the last 16 - 20 years without "pain" by doing as I suggest. Which grain weight 30 caliber Nosler Partion - I will get on the lookout for you.
Good luck in finding what you need in todays markets.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jorge,

One of the obvious answers is that during each of the repeated "shortages" of the past 30 years or so (the first occurred after the Clinton "assault rifle ban), component companies could not keep up with demand. Their logical response was to concentrate production on their best-selling items--and I doubt the 150 Partition sells nearly as well as Nosler's other .30 caliber Partitions. An educated guess would be that the big .30-caliber sellers would be the 165- and 180-grain--with the 180 probably leading.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jorge,

One of the obvious answers is that during each of the repeated "shortages" of the past 30 years or so (the first occurred after the Clinton "assault rifle ban), component companies could not keep up with demand. Their logical response was to concentrate production on their best-selling items--and I doubt the 150 Partition sells nearly as well as Nosler's other .30 caliber Partitions. An educated guess would be that the big .30-caliber sellers would be the 165- and 180-grain--with the 180 probably leading.

180 Partitions is specifically what I'm looking for. I have about 150 left....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Jorge1: I have a lifetime supply of my beloved Nosler 30 caliber 165 grain Partitions.
I suggest (apparently YOU have NOT learned!) that if you have a favorite load/loading component that you set aside a lifetime supply of that item.
I have weathered several "shortages" over the last 16 - 20 years without "pain" by doing as I suggest. Which grain weight 30 caliber Nosler Partion - I will get on the lookout for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

That’s it! Twist the knife!😜

Actually, I’ve done the same myself when others have complained about shortages. I’ve resolved to not be that guy in the future, if I can control my Inner Jackass.

I’ve been revamping my loading area lately and was amazed at all the bullets I have on hand, so my other resolution is to shoot them up before I buy more, easier to do now with so many good ones absent from the market. Many are from SPS, but there’s also a lot acquired according to your strategy. Things don’t always go as planned though, and stuff piles up.

Good luck, Jorge. Sorry I can’t help you with those.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jorge,

I was in somewhat the same place a year or so ago after buying my Griffin & Howe Springfield. Happened to find some of the 180 Protected Point Partition "blems" on sale through their Shooters Pro Shop, so restocked with those--as their slightly lower BC wouldn't make any difference at the ranges I'd be shooting with the G&H and its Lyman Alaskan scope. So I bought 300.

(With one exception, have yet to be able to detect any difference between Nosler "firsts" and their "blems," whether in appearance or performance--and have used blems for a lot of my hunting since the late 1980s. The exception was some 200-grain .30 Partitions that did have small but visible flaws in the finish--but they still worked fine.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
sometimes blems are actually just a over run , i got some of them in the past

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jorge,

I was in somewhat the same place a year or so ago after buying my Griffin & Howe Springfield. Happened to find some of the 180 Protected Point Partition "blems" on sale through their Shooters Pro Shop, so restocked with those--as their slightly lower BC wouldn't make any difference at the ranges I'd be shooting with the G&H and its Lyman Alaskan scope. So I bought 300.

(With one exception, have yet to be able to detect any difference between Nosler "firsts" and their "blems," whether in appearance or performance--and have used blems for a lot of my hunting since the late 1980s. The exception was some 200-grain .30 Partitions that did have small but visible flaws in the finish--but they still worked fine.)

John, I too have found no difference with "blems" or protected v spitzers. Hell, I'll take a round nose!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I recently bought 150 off the shelf at a local shop. They were in the most recent packaging. I also bought some of the “seconds” that looked nearly identical except they had a very shallow cannelure. One thing I noticed is that there was some variance in the location of the cannelure within the lot. They shot just a little worse than the “firsts”, but still absolutely precise enough for my purpose.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I 'solved' my 180 gr. Partition problem with 180 gr. A-Frames.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Ukrainian snipers demand nothing but the best……😂

Then the LAST bullet they would pick would be a Partition.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Puddle

I haven't used them on game yet, but I just picked up 600 Speer Hot Core 165 gr soft point boat-tails. They advertise a good BC and I'm sure they will be enough for Missouri whitetail and whatever varmints I happen across on the farm--hogs, coyotes, bobcats, ground hogs, etc. For 1/4 of the price as Partitions, its hard to justify not shooting them.

Last edited by drop_point; 01/27/23.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by drop_point

I haven't used them on game yet, but I just picked up 600 Speer Hot Core 165 gr soft point boat-tails. They advertise a good BC and I'm sure they will be enough for Missouri whitetail and whatever varmints I happen across on the farm--hogs, coyotes, bobcats, ground hogs, etc. For 1/4 of the price as Partitions, its hard to justify not shooting them.

Speer boat tails are not of Hot Cor construction unless something has changed. The boat tails are deliberately made "softer" than the flat base Hot Cor bullets.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman

Speer boat tails are not of Hot Cor construction unless something has changed. The boat tails are deliberately made "softer" than the flat base Hot Cor bullets.

You could be right. They should be waiting for me next week when I get home. However, the point remains.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What will be the launcher?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I’ve got a whole bunch of .308 Winchesters they will be used in, but my main rifles are a T3X Superlite, an old Ruger M77 MK II that’s been worked over, and a little Rem 700 VS that has a barrel shortened to 18” and threaded for a suppressor. I’ll save the partitions for big game and shoot the cheap Speers.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
From a 308 the Speers should be good deer and hog bullets.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yep, I think they should be descent for that.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
That has been my motto since 1991 People laughed at me when I bought hunting ammo/bullets by the case when on special or clearance...... was looking at some cases of blue box federal 243 308 270 and 30-06 that was bought for $9.99 per box and 7mag and 300 mag for $11.99 those times are like the extinct now.... I spent a lot of money then but thinking now about what I actually saved

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman

Straight off the Speer site,
Bullets like Speer’s Boat-Tail, which features an aerodynamic design that improves long-range performance, are ideal. Boat-Tail bullets have relatively thin jackets, but this is perfect for hunting a light-boned, small-bodied deer that prefers terrain where shots are likely to be long.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
sometimes blems are actually just a over run , i got some of them in the past

And some are just clearance items. Long ago, Grafs used to send out a cheap-paper flyer with clearance stuff just listed, no pics or description. You really had to go through it with a fine comb. I picked up IIRC 300 of the Partition Gold 150s, the ones with the little steel cups in the base, for like 8$ a box. Wish I’d bought more, but then I still have some because one just doesn’t waste Partitions on targets.

I also bought a few boxes of 150gr Partition overruns from SPS for $20 a box. Overall, I may have 300 total, plenty for an old man with a gammy leg. 46gr of H4895 in anyone’s .30/06 brass with anyone’s primer shoot very nicely and kill deer just fine. When my 165gr BT/AB blems I usually shoot in .308s out, I’m switching to 130gr TTSXs.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
May be one of those spiffy MBA types from the old Remington managed to land at Nosler and started thinking:

Partitions? ain't those things like really old, and OMG, no plastic tip and not bonded??? Whose gonna buy that crap?

My formula crammed spreadsheet says to drop that POS from the product line and spiff something up with, oh, how about fluorescent plastic tip? Yea, all my education says we'll sell bunches of them.

That is exactly what happened^^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I do not think they have stopped making them, as they are still listed by Nosler and many sellers.

Unfortunately, this is the times we are in. Just keep looking, that has been my strategy. When they show up, grab them.

After getting caught with the Obama era shortages, never again. Biden/Covid has impacted me a little by not always having my first choice in powders, or bullets.

Unfortunately no matter how much we argue about minutiae on this site, there are plenty of other products that will do a great job.

Do not know what you are shooting them out, but Midway lists three 180gr bullets I would not be afraid to use in place of the partition.
Hornady IL
Hornady CX
Barnes TSX

Last edited by CRS; 01/29/23.

Arcus Venator
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Found these on SPS

Nosler 180gr AB lubalox

I would seriously look at these as I bought 800 of the 140gr for my 270's.

Have had very good luck with the plain ballistic silvertips and NABs. Thinking these should be really good.

Last edited by CRS; 01/29/23.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

And how do you know this?

John Steinbeck
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
As usual, he doesn’t.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

And how do you know this?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

It seems like they have really dropped the ball on m most of their bullets during this democratic shortage.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I grabbed 200 of the 180gr AB lubox coated from the SPS a couple months ago. Website said there might be loose tips in them. I haven’t opened the bag they’re in yet to see how many are blemished or loose but they’ll be fine to sight in or practice. If I remember right they were less than $25 per 50. I can sand my Partitions for actual hunting.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The 180g Hornady flat base thinks it is a partition.....so you know

The Jap model of running business makes sense to the Accountants:

80% of sales is in 20% of the inventory produced. So, the result to keep the company more profitable(bonus money) is to produce more of the 20%.

Re-loaders are screwed, especially if their likes and wants are out of the 20% model.

Last edited by keith; 01/30/23.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keith
The 180g Hornady flat base thinks it is a partition.....so you know

That has been my experience with the 150gr IL in my 270's also.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
I grabbed 200 of the 180gr AB lubox coated from the SPS a couple months ago. Website said there might be loose tips in them. I haven’t opened the bag they’re in yet to see how many are blemished or loose but they’ll be fine to sight in or practice. If I remember right they were less than $25 per 50. I can sand my Partitions for actual hunting.
with tax and shipping that is over 50 cents a bullet for a grade c blem

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The factory seconds I have purchased had a variety of weights. Either too much or too little.

And very few would weigh what was what they were supposed to be.

The ones I bought as firsts….often weighed as they should.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
it is like kentucky fried chicken not having chicken...... 180 partitions and accubonds no where to be found.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I like Nosler Partitions, I buy them by full or part box as I find them at gunshows for a reasonable price or I leave them for someone else. SPS has supplied me many over runs and blems until the.last panic when the sps turds decided they were gold plated. Over 50 years of hunting, shooting ctr fires and reloading I am convinced that where you put a bullet is more important than it being gold plated. Now days I buy and try whatever I find a deal on. Works for me
..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Looked at a box of .264 140gr Partitions at Sportsman's Warehouse. $74.99 for 50! At $1.50 Each it's a wonder there is any market for them...........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I like Nosler Partitions, I buy them by full or part box as I find them at gunshows for a reasonable price or I leave them for someone else. SPS has supplied me many over runs and blems until the.last panic when the sps turds decided they were gold plated. Over 50 years of hunting, shooting ctr fires and reloading I am convinced that where you put a bullet is more important than it being gold plated. Now days I buy and try whatever I find a deal on. Works for me
..mb

Good post. I think a lot of us are at that point as well.

Originally Posted by Angus1895
The factory seconds I have purchased had a variety of weights. Either too much or too little.

And very few would weigh what was what they were supposed to be.

The ones I bought as firsts….often weighed as they should.

I'm sorry, but I call bs on that one. You didn't buy them from SPS because those were just like firsts. Many here can attest to that. However, they think they are made of gold now, so many of us don't buy them anymore. F UCK them until they pull their head out of their azzes. Until then I'm perfectly content with Hornady interlocks, SST's, ELDX's and the like.. I still like partitions and I still have a good supply of seconds I bought from SPS for $13/bag. But to say they are all over the place for weight or differ much from firsts, that is when the bullschidt flag gets raised. It's like guys saying they don't shoot as good as firsts too. BS...!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here are a couple of pics of the 277 140gr AB.
Bottom picture has some 150gr Ballistic Silvertips for comparison.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I just weighed a bunch of them and they went from 139.9 to 140.2. I do not shoot long range or competition. Will have to see how they shoot.

For comparison the 150gr weigh 149.9 to 150.3gr.

Last edited by CRS; 01/30/23.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I apologize for actually weighing my bullets………

Jeeeez ….,time 4 a nap buddy?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

I went to Nosler at SHOT and brought this theory up directly to a salesperson I know who's been around a while. The answer was no we haven't gone full Leupold yet... (Being that both are Oregon companies this seems completely plausible to have wandered off the res in the last 10-15 years)
What I did learn was and it was reiterated to us that we would have .30cal Partitions in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2023. My response was great now go buy your planning/production team a [bleep] calendar cause that's hunting season. So, we'll have our beloved Partitions for the 24-hunting season.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I apologize for actually weighing my bullets………

Jeeeez ….,time 4 a nap buddy?

No need to apologize to me. grin

You brought up the subject of varying weights. Thought I would provide the information on the C grade bullets I received.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not Partitions, but SPS has 165 Accubonds in stock.

Scott
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
165 Partitions on SPS site right now. Still a bit spendy for blems, but that's the world we live in now.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CRS

I do not think they have stopped making them, as they are still listed by Nosler and many sellers.

Unfortunately, this is the times we are in. Just keep looking, that has been my strategy. When they show up, grab them.

After getting caught with the Obama era shortages, never again. Biden/Covid has impacted me a little by not always having my first choice in powders, or bullets.

Unfortunately no matter how much we argue about minutiae on this site, there are plenty of other products that will do a great job.

Do not know what you are shooting them out, but Midway lists three 180gr bullets I would not be afraid to use in place of the partition.
Hornady IL
Hornady CX
Barnes TSX
And barnes is a better bullet for big game by far anyway. I'm just not impressed with partitions vs barnes on moose and big bears.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Literally not buying 1000 bullets when we get a new barrel at a minimum is dumb. BTDT. Pants down. We try like heck not to let it happen ever again.

One rule of thumb the last 15 years or so is... powder only comes in 8 pound containers. Primers only come in 5000 sleeves. And bullets only come in lots of 1000. Minimum.

I can see getting caught. It just happens.

Sure hope you find some. I think I have some but likely its a box or even only part of a box. I had some issues with the 180s in the 300 mags years ago and quit using the partitions at that point in favor of the barnes.

I will go look one day when I'm around the house and see if I can find them in the old loading room if there are any left.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Onstep

I went to Nosler at SHOT and brought this theory up directly to a salesperson I know who's been around a while. The answer was no we haven't gone full Leupold yet... (Being that both are Oregon companies this seems completely plausible to have wandered off the res in the last 10-15 years)
What I did learn was and it was reiterated to us that we would have .30cal Partitions in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2023. My response was great now go buy your planning/production team a [bleep] calendar cause that's hunting season. So, we'll have our beloved Partitions for the 24-hunting season.

What I know about the bullet building business is nothing, so there's that. BUT, I wonder which Partition is the best seller. I'd guess it's the 180gr 30 Cal (maybe the 7mm 160?). I base this on a minimally educated wild guess, but would hope that keeping that one in production would be a company priority. I'd like to see some 180 BTs, too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does anybody but me use the classifieds here with a WTB ad for such issues??

No doubt one could probably have a minimum of 100 of these headed his way within 24 hours of placing an ad.

Leave it up for a week and you will have more bullets than you can shoot in a lifetime.

Guess it's easier to complain than to take action.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Does anybody but me use the classifieds here with a WTB ad for such issues??

No doubt one could probably have a minimum of 100 of these headed his way within 24 hours of placing an ad.

Leave it up for a week and you will have more bullets than you can shoot in a lifetime.

Guess it's easier to complain than to take action.

WTB ads are not without their own problems. On a site with known members, like this one, scammers can mostly be avoided. I did get some 30cal Trophy Bonded Tips that way (could always use more HINT). It's still not unreasonable to expect some Noslers to show up for sale at retail. Congrats on your success, though.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought two boxes of Nosler #54825 .30 cal, 180 gr. Accubonds yesterday at one of my local stores. Left seven more boxes there for anyone else needing them.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.