Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have read/heard that Lapua is the best. What are everyone's thoughts on other production brass hierarchy? How would you rank WW, RP, Starline, FC, LC, and others on consistency, weight etc. Specifically looking at 223.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What is your game?

For HP, LC works great, but there are lots of alternatives. Starline is good from what I hear, and the FC with LC bunting is the same as LC.
I've been using a lot of Wolf and NT and they have been fine. I understand PMC finally has their flash holes centered too.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am having a 700 223 built with a 1-7 twist for 600yds as a short term goal and would love to reach 1000. I am not planning on any competition other than against myself. I have never shot past 300yds and planning to take it slow but want to start out with good components.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry, but I don’t shoot Lapua after getting an extremely bad batch of 223 match brass that had worse consistency than RP or WW. Maybe this will help maybe not.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The Norma 556 started life as 62 grain NATO.
Federal/LC 556 was 55 grain NATO
Nosler commercial
Norma commercial
Mix of Norma and Federal to fill out my 50.
Norma 556 being the heaviest and most consistent.
Norma commercial and Federal/LC being damn near identical
Nosler being the oddball.

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Alpha , Peterson, Lapua all make good top quality brass. After those, I would go Starline, Federal, WW kinda in that order. I am sure I have left some out.
I just bought 200 pcs of new Lapua 223 brass the other day to do about the same thing you are doing, 600-1k playing against myself.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
What is your game?

For HP, LC works great, but there are lots of alternatives. Starline is good from what I hear, and the FC with LC bunting is the same as LC.
I've been using a lot of Wolf and NT and they have been fine. I understand PMC finally has their flash holes centered too.

I shoot a lot of FC with the scamp markings. It is range pick up brass and has worked great for years. I also have some R-P, and Lapua. It's all about the same, after you properly prep it. I'd stay away from any new WW brass though. It's garbage, as is the LC coming from Winchester. I've seen a lot of crap ammo coming from them, after they took over the govt contract. I also must have different PMC than you speak of because the flash holes are all centered. That brass was picked up at the range (1,200 pcs) about 4 or 5 years ago. The ones I've seen with off center flash holes is the GFL brass that Fiocchi uses in their factory ammo. Its reloadable, but those off center flash holes are disturbing and hard on the decapping pins. Really, I avoid the chidt anymore. It's not worth picking it up..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Based on my experience with 243 and 308 I'd happily try some SIG brass in 223.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wolfe that I have is good along with some lots of LC, and Lapua.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Based on my experience with 243 and 308 I'd happily try some SIG brass in 223.

Do they make 223 rem brass? It's great brass from what I've seen in 22-250 and 308 Win..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use to see Sig brass, but have not seen it for awhile. I have heard good things about it and would like to try it, if I could find some in something I need.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the input fellas. I appreciate it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thanks mathman. If I were looking for good brass, I'd buy some of that and try it out. It has been very good in the 22-250 and 308 from my experience. I don't check it as precisely as you do, but can tell you when TIR numbers are low, that says a lot about the brass quality and neck thickness uniformity. Neck tension always feels great as well, but we know our dies, and how we set them up, play a big role in that. I'm not like a lot of you guys, I keep schidt simple with simple dies (RCBS FL die sets). TIR kept below .003" and rock on as easily and trouble free as possible. The range pick up FC with scamp marks works well enough at the measly 400 yards I shoot at lately with my AR. If the rifle is shooting 1" 3 shot groups at 400, I'm happy.. You guys may require more precision than that, to each their own..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've have some range pick up PPU in 223 and I haven't measured their necks, but they do assemble into very straight cartridges. The last batch of 30 I put together has two rounds with .003" TIR. The rest were .002" or less, mostly less. More than sufficient for my purposes.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was gifted 1,100 rounds of Federal .308 Win. Gold Medal match brass that is supposed to be once fired. The brass was acquired from a trusted source so I believe it is once fires as stated. The problem is that lot must have been loaded awfully hot hot from the factory as the primer pockets are loose as a goose eating pork fat. I'll either have to just use them if light cast bullet loads or maybe scrap the whole deal.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
With the disclaimer that my observations are from certain lots, so not necessarily valid for generalization:

I tried a lot of Starline 5.56 and found considerable variation in neck thickness. I have had good success with Starline straight cases. I am not confident about their bottleneck brass.

The best uniformity of .223 I encountered was older lots of Winchester, except for Lapua which is in another class.

My son, who these days is more dedicated than I am, just buys Lapua. He doesn't want to bother (screw around) with weighing, measuring, sorting, etc. I can't fault his reasoning.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I was gifted 1,100 rounds of Federal .308 Win. Gold Medal match brass that is supposed to be once fired. The brass was acquired from a trusted source so I believe it is once fires as stated. The problem is that lot must have been loaded awfully hot hot from the factory as the primer pockets are loose as a goose eating pork fat. I'll either have to just use them if light cast bullet loads or maybe scrap the whole deal.
PJ

Federal is known for that in the bigger cartridges. I had the same issues with some 308w, and 300WSM. Everyone generally knows this. There is a reason I stated "with scamp marks" on the 223 rem brass. It is more like the LC brass everyone likes. What I've found with 223 rem brass, is most of it is good. Primer pockets last for a damn long time in the FC 223 Rem brass I picked up at the range.

This is not a YMMV thing either. I don't fu ck around with schidt brass.. That FC range pick up brass shoots sub moa for 10 shots consistently. Lapua doesn't do any better. It's all about how you prep your brass and how uniform it is. You can pay more for Lapua, as it's great stuff. I prefer free, though, when it's good schidt.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What’s the consensus on Norma brass?

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Norma is fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint.

Lapoeey is without peer. Hint.

Starline is suplizingly Skookum. Hint.

The Brokedick FC Floor Sweep Schit,is fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Norma is fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint.

Lapoeey is without peer. Hint.

Starline is suplizingly Skookum. Hint.

The Brokedick FC Floor Sweep Schit,is fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint................
You ever won a match with Norma, Lapua or Starline?

Have you ever lost a match because of Federal LC?

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,965 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.