Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Several years ago I saw a Stevens single shot in 32-40, but it was no near as nice as the rifle pictured above

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Answer to 10gaugemag Where does the line start to buy a rifle like that?

A long story of how I came to own it. I was in high school, 1954, & found it in a small gun store. Our family had a 30-03 and 2 boys.

I knew that if I was to have one I had better buy it. It is not all orig. but that is fine. I have almost sold it when needing $$$ raising a family.

I am to the stage where I am giving my kids, grandkids,and great grandkids my guns. So it will be leaving here some day before long.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I've got a Ruger No. 3 so chambered. It don't mean squat, but the most blood I've ever blown out of a deer was with it and a factory 180gr Core-Lokt. Looked like a crime scene.

This is the single shot rifle I have always wanted.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by selmer
Originally Posted by johnn
Its a capable round, seems like it held the record for elk for many years, which doesn't mean all that much other than it will do the job.
I bought this a few years back and intend to take it for a walk in the moose woods.
Supposedly has a Pope barrel. but unmarked so I am doubtful, it does shoot good.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Beautiful rifle. Is that a Stevens 44 1/2? I have one that I had CPA rifles make a .30-40 Krag barrel for. It's a shooter. I've used exclusively cast boolits in it.

Yep, Stevens alrght, appears to have been redone as the bluing is in good shape. Another tell is the wood on the beavertail forearm doesn't match.

I bought it via a online auction, caliber was unknown at the time. Was pretty happy it was a 30-40. Gail at CPA helped me out with a firing pin and a couple of screws, they sure build some beautiful rifles.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its a capable round, seems like it held the record for elk for many years, which doesn't mean all that much other than it will do the job.
I bought this a few years back and intend to take it for a walk in the moose woods.
Supposedly has a Pope barrel. but unmarked so I am doubtful, it does shoot good.

Beautiful rifle. Is that a Stevens 44 1/2? I have one that I had CPA rifles make a .30-40 Krag barrel for. It's a shooter. I've used exclusively cast boolits in it.

Yep, Stevens alrght, appears to have been redone as the bluing is in good shape. Another tell is the wood on the beavertail forearm doesn't match.

I bought it via a online auction, caliber was unknown at the time. Was pretty happy it was a 30-40. Gail at CPA helped me out with a firing pin and a couple of screws, they sure build some beautiful rifles.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the original 44 1/2 frames were all case hardened. Mine still has over 50% of the case hardening left and the bluing on the original .22 LR barrel is still deep and lustrous. My great-grandfather purchased it new along with the J. Stevens 6x scope with external adjustments.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the original 44 1/2 frames were all case hardened. Mine still has over 50% of the case hardening left and the bluing on the original .22 LR barrel is still deep and lustrous. My great-grandfather purchased it new along with the J. Stevens 6x scope with external adjustments.

That sounds like a pretty special gun.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I had one years ago,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regrettably, I’ve never run into a nice one when I had the money. I guess it will remain a void in my experience.

OTOH, for my use, Eastern whitetails in mixed hardwoods and brush, I lump all the major .30s into the same well, lump. My .308s get loaded like Krags or .300 Savages, and the ‘06 like a .308. If I had a .30/40, especially in a Krag, I’d probably load it like a .30/30. The parties on either end likely wouldn’t notice much difference.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 30-40 Krag always fascinated me but so far I've never owned one. Part of my interest in it has been from all my 303 British loading and shooting over the last 25 years and the similarities of these two cartridges. Perusing this thread reminded me of an old Elmer Keith quote where he stated that, "The old Krag hits hard". Can't recall where I read it or who was the author quoting Elmer but this interesting thread brought it back to me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

That sounds like a pretty special gun.

It is pretty nifty! Stevens never chambered the 44 1/2 for large bodied cartridges like the .30-40 (and big BPCR cartridges) because it was deemed not up to snuff. Strong design but limited by smallish barrel tenon diameter, best limited to cartridges of .30-30/.32-40/.38-55 head diameters. It's why Paul Shuttleworth designed the CPA copy of the 44 1/2 action to be wider with a larger barrel shank, and made it out of modern high strength steel alloys and not the low carbon case hardened steel that Stevens employed. You can make a CPA work with anything you can shove into it, not so much with a Stevens.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m a fan of the Krag, both rifle and cartridge. Have hunted with mine a bit but never much luck. Still hold out hope. 😁

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Used to own one. I killed game with it. Always with handloads and always with 220 grain RN bullets. It was a very cool rifle and very accurate.

No complaints at all.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
A Krag story of ignorance compounded by youth.
My father, who could have afforded any reasonable cartridge/rifle combination returned to the .30-40 after every digression into 'faster, better, newer'. When he was killed, I inherited his guns of course. Of the rifles, at that time, he had only an 1895 Win in .30 Army, and a 1898 Springfield Carbine. Also was a big box of mixed ammo. The ubiquitous factory Peters 180's of course and some good looking (Remington Bronze Points) ammo marked reloads. Without much thought, I burned up the ammo over the next few years in both rifles, hunting, rock busting, but I was mildly annoyed that the Buffington, at it's lowest setting still shot high with the reloads. Finally, after burning up more than a hundred rounds, I pulled down one of the reloads, yikes..a compressed load of 4350, 180 gr Rem Bronze Point....obviously intended for the 1895. I called my uncle, told him what I had done. He reassured me, told me that my Krag had been sent to a machinist retired from Benicia Arsenal, who gave it 'the full treatment' (?). He said that part of the rebuild was a bolt re- heat treatment, 100% bearing surface fit so that the front and rear lugs bore evenly, and headspace adjustment. In 1938 when this took place, my uncle claimed my dad got 'taken' for 40 dollars, twice what the rifle cost originally. Lucky me, the Krag took it all in stride, now it gets a pure diet of published safe loads.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SS336
I’m a fan of the Krag, both rifle and cartridge. Have hunted with mine a bit but never much luck. Still hold out hope. 😁

More pics?

Rifle specifics?

Looks sharp in this 1 picture.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by SS336

More pics?

Rifle specifics?

Yes, it does. More pictures!

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=SS336]I’m a fan of the Krag, both rifle and cartridge. Have hunted with mine a bit but never much luck. Still hold out hope. 😁

More pics?

Rifle specifics?

I have shown it before and some people might be a little sick of it.
But I am proud of it. It was given to me in non working order and pretty bad cosmetically. The plastic fore end tip, gripcap, and buttplate had shrunk a lot. The stock had a few issues and the metal had some surface rust.

The bore, surprisingly enough was in good shape. So I spent time on it and replaced the plastic with ebony, fixed the issues with the stock and stripped it and refinished it. Filled some holes and had it reblued. Found a Redfield 102K receiver sight and went to the range. It’s very accurate with just about anything. Hitting the gong at 200yds at the range is not to hard at all.

It has a little bit of headspace problem that our own John Barsnees helped me with.
Now, like I said above, I need to shoot something with it. 😁

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am ignorant to how these barrels came from the factory.

Was the outside of the barrel altered, ( steps turned down) anything like that?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Barrel is as it came to me. Front sight was changed and rear sight holes filled.
gnoahhh or Kaywoodie would probably know more about the barrel shape than I do. Barrel is 24.5” long.
As close as I can figure it was sporterized just before or after WWII. It had been neglected for a lot of years but came out nicely I think.
Of all my small collection of rifles I think I have the most fun fooling around with this one.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am ignorant to how these barrels came from the factory.

Was the outside of the barrel altered, ( steps turned down) anything like that?
They were a straight taper from the get-go, no bulge at the chamber. .982" at the shoulder, .620 at muzzle (carbine).

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Browning 1895 I bought new years ago. It has taken several whitetails and my one and so far only black bear. It really likes IMR4350 and either 180 RN or 220 RN bullets

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 19 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,377
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.