Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First deer 'rifle' was an old 1898 krag that was horribly cut down, had a bent 1903 sight stuck on it, front barrel band was a zip tie, and a lyman peepsite for the rear which necessitated the removal of the mag cutoff.
But it had a great bore and shot very well despite the 'reed blowing in the wind' appearance of the front site (apparently it was sighted in that way).

I hated 30-06 as a recoil sensitive sub 100 pounder, but with a heavy coat, that 8.5-9lb rifle was a breeze to shoot, as long as I didn't have to hold it up long. Sounded like a cannon going off too (not sure how short the barrel was...) but everyone would look over when sighting it in for the season.

GB1

S
SDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the likes guys~~
I tried to create the finest Krag rifle around~~
Shoots great, too.

SDH

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a couple of Krags - one was an original sporterized model, that was in the family for many years. I took a doe with it, then eventually gave it to my eldest uncle, who had killed his first deer with it. He then gave it to one of his grandsons. He is an avid shooter, so I am sure it's in a good home. With one of the aftermarket peep sights for it, I managed 3 in 1½" at 100 yards, using 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I also had a Ruger #1 - one of the special editions Cabelas sold, with high polish blue and jaw-dropping circassian wood. Took an 8 point buck with it. Eventually, it went to a new home, and I made a tidy profit on it. The wood would not have been out of place on a Purdey, or any London Best Grade gun.

The Krag is an interesting and well made action; you dare not hot-rod it, but that's hardly necessary to harvest NA game.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Originally Posted by SDH
Here are a few pics of a .30-40Krag Custom M-1898 Krag rifle I built for a client but don't know if it has made it our hunting just yet. That certainly is his intention.
I prefer the .30-40 cartridge to all others but am quite sure it is not for everyone~~

Wow! that is a beautiful work of art. A couple questions. 1- Did you build this completely from scratch or start with an old rifle? 2- Is that rear sight attached to the end of the bolt?
Very nice work!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Had another Krag fall into my lap this morning. It's a M1898 infantry rifle cut down to carbine dimensions. Kinda ho-hum, but this one was "sporterized" by Sedgley, probably sometime in the early-mid 1920's. When the gov't released all Krags from service, Sedgely bought a bunch and converted them into hunting rifles. This appears to be one of them, going by the Sedgely trademark on the barrel. What's interesting about this particular one is that it sports a Carbine rear sight. Score! The sight is worth almost as much as what I paid for the gun. (Carbine sights are quite rare and command a premium among people who collect such things.)

Bore is perfect, and the front sight is contained by a band, another trademark of some early Sedgelys (and no, the band isn't an '03 Springfield sight band). Can't wait to shoot it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/19/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Awesome score Gary. The closest thing I have to the 30-40 is a very old Lee Enfield MK I*** in 303 British. It's fun to shoot. Haven't figured out the sights completely yet. It's supposed to be regulated all the way out to 2800 yds!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I had one years ago, sold it, wish I would have kept it.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a 1898 Krag that has been sporterized. It is carbine length now (I dont know what it was when origional). It's in pretty good condition metal wise, shoot's good,nice shiny bore. Has a Lyman receiver sight and a ramped front sight. I need a stock as whoever slimmed down the original went a little to far for my liking.
Karl

S
SDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 300leonidas
Originally Posted by SDH
Here are a few pics of a .30-40Krag Custom M-1898 Krag rifle I built for a client but don't know if it has made it our hunting just yet. That certainly is his intention.
I prefer the .30-40 cartridge to all others but am quite sure it is not for everyone~~

Wow! that is a beautiful work of art. A couple questions. 1- Did you build this completely from scratch or start with an old rifle? 2- Is that rear sight attached to the end of the bolt?
Very nice work!

Thanks for asking this was a challenging and enjoyable project.
The client for this project supplied an original military Model 1898 Krag action in wonderful condition. The action was altered to provide a third action mounting bolt on the bottom front of the action. The sideplate was also altered to slim it down so I could build the stock over the sideplate. Both of these alteration strengthen the two obvious weaknesses of the original Krag rifle.

The bolt peep sight is adjustable for windage and elevation and was welded to the cocking piece.
SDH

SDH

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

211 members (2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 34 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,081
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.