Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Find myself at that point in life where parts need changing. Doc says the knee needs replacing as soon as I'm tired of the discomfort. Biggest concern is mounting my horse from the ground. It's the left knee and I mount from the near side. Almost always use a mounting block when riding out of the barn so that's not an issue. However if I need to dismount while riding for what ever reason and nothing is close to use as a mounting block for reboarding . Could start using the off side I suppose and use the right leg first.

Any one out there that has gone thru the process post knee replacement? Guessing I'll have to retrain my body for the off side. Years of muscle memory at 69 should prove to be fun. Another old timer just gave up the ponies , can't do that.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Ive had both knees replaced. I have no issues mounting and dismounting on either side except for the odd feeling using the “wrong” side.

Once you regain your leg strength you will be as good or better than now.

Good luck.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
On occasion you'll find a horse that doesn't like to break an old habit and will fuss if you switch sides. Just be sure you're not that horse.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
On occasion you'll find a horse that doesn't like to break an old habit and will fuss if you switch sides. Just be sure you're not that horse.

My last horse didn't care and sometimes on narrow hillside single track you didn't have options. This guy doesn't care off the mounting block but off the ground I don't think I've tried but will start next week.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by sidepass; 01/10/23.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have never had problems mounting from either side with any of my stock. Now it is hard on either side being 79. Right now, my right knee is shot and replacement is not in the cards and most likely will never be.

Easier thing to do is go to a shorter horse. In my case it is a mule. Years ago I rode 16 hd Tennessee Walker mules, then 15 hd quarter horse or haflinger mules, now I ride little 13-2 mule. Some folks with a similar problem teach their mules to lay down so they can mount. I suspect a horse can be trained the same

One of the mistakes that people make when switching from a horse to a mule is they think they need a mule as big as the horse they rode.

You might think about that. I know people get attached to one particular horse, but at times you have to make hard decisions if you wan to keep riding.

Lot of different ways to skin the cat.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/11/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Im 8 yrs post knee replacement. If you intend to ride during post op rehabilitation, teaching yourself and your animal to mount on the off side makes sense.

Very important in my view, is to properly rehab your knee. This is important to regain and maintain strength, as well as maintaining your full range of motion. Proper rehab will get you back in the saddle quicker and safer. Rehab is painful and progress will start slow and get better as it goes along. You wont regret it later. Im painfree, have my full range of motion, and feel better than I have in years. Good luck!

Regards,
Manny

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
IIRC you can get a "drop down" stirrup for mounting.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Again thanks. And yes my plan is to jump into rehab seriously. My last horse was fine with mounting from the off side and expect this one will be fine.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Once you know you need a TKA, if you have the right Doc, go ahead and get it done. Don't wait. After rehab, you'll be glad you did.

I know that's not what you asked, but don't put it off if you know you need it.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Once you know you need a TKA, if you have the right Doc, go ahead and get it done. Don't wait. After rehab, you'll be glad you did.

+P
Nobody ever wished they’d waited longer.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ironbender

+P

Hey Mike. I need a TKA. However I had full reverse shoulder replacement and it didn't turn out well. I know about 1/2 dozen people that had a TKA that didn't turn out well, one that did. Since my stroke, doc said no surgery for at least a year. I wear a knee brace and take the MonoVisc injections twice a year. It keeps the pain to a tolerable level unless I twist it. Another surgeon wants to do another back surgery and neck surgery, another one wants to do a hiatal hernia surgery. . Coming up on 80, I think I will let it all pass.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/24/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore

+P

Hey Mike. I need a TKA. However I had full reverse shoulder replacement and it didn't turn out well. I know about 1/2 dozen people that had a TKA that didn't turn out well, one that did. Since my stroke, doc said no surgery for at least a year. I wear a knee brace and take the MonoVisc injections twice a year. It keeps the pain to a tolerable level unless I twist it. Another surgeon wants to do another back surgery and neck surgery, another one wants to do a hiatal hernia surgery. . Coming up on 80, I think I will let it all pass.
Dang! Who won, you or the mule?

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was at the Fair a few years ago and someone was demostrating a drop down stirrup for mounting and then somehow retracted. Can't remember the details, but a internet search might help.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Dang! Who won, you or the mule?

For about 50 years we have been running neck and neck.The knee is from a mule that kicked me some time around 1978. The neck is from a horse that reared and came over backwards on me some time around 1968. Shoulder was most likely from leading pack strings and have more than few horses or mules deciding that they needed to go elsewhere. Some of the back is from young colts learning how to buck better than I learned to ride them.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Ive seen them more elaborate than that but simpler is better if it works.

Plus, I agree you might not be a good candidate for TKA today. But you are a tough old bugger and that trumps much.

Some general info for anyone interested. The best knee guys do three or four a day a couple of days a week and they are pretty good. That said, I would want to be first or second that day. The best way to find a good knee guy is find a couple of physical therapists who will talk to you about who gets the best results. I acknowledge this is not easy but is worth the effort.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by saddlesore

+P

You’d have to change your screen name to “Steve Austin”!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sister just had a out patient knee replacement, in Tuscon AZ. In at 4:30 ,off to surgery at 7:30 ,woke up at 12 pm , Walked out of hospital at 3:30. She is doing therapy 3 times a week and walking around her place a few times a day. They do lots of knees and hips there.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That sounds like a clinic in Ketchum, ID that specialized in skiing injuries. High dollar and they don't take medicare.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Started mounting from the off side. 1st attempt was a fail. Funny how much muscle memory affects you at 69. Dismounted on the trail to clear a blow down and thought now's the time. Think I heard my horse laugh along with the wife.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
785 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 3,197 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.