Print Thread
Hop To
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Woke up early this morning, and tripped across this video on youtube of the story of Franz von Werra.
Was shot down over SE England in his ME 109, captured and then put in a few POW camps, and had multiple escape attempts, that all failed.
Finally he was shipped to Canada for internment. He escaped by jumping off a Train in Ontario, near Lake Superior and crossed the border into the
USA before it was involved in the war..

He later crossed into Mexico and made his way down to South America, where he boarded a ship bound for Europe, from Rio de Janiero and returned to Germany. He was the ONLY pilot shot down over Britain who managed to finally escape and return to Germany in 1941, after 7 months in captivity.
That earned him a second Iron Cross and was made a National Hero in Germany. His second Iron Cross was awarded personally by Hitler.

Interesting video, that is about 30 minutes long for people who have an interest in WW 2, especially the Battle of Britain...which I love to read about every since I was 12 years old and lived over there at the time...my dad being in the USAF, and Stationed at RAF Alconbury, 75 miles north of London.
Alconbury on a side note, was the base that Glenn Miller left from to fly to France in August 1944, and was never heard from again as the plane went down over the English Channel.

Anyway, her is the 30 minute video of the escape of Franz von Werra, from Canada back to Germany in 1941... Enjoy!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Being German, he could have walked down any street in the US without getting a 2d glance. If he'd been Japanese doing the same thing, they'd have pegged him in a hurry.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That’s an interesting story, there was a movie made called ‘The One that Got Away’ . Von Werra was later killed.

Old70

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent story. A true hero.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the link, I saw that on my feed at work, couldn’t find it again when I got home.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw that video a few years ago. Very interesting story.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting that. Don't have 30 spare minutes right now but will watch it later this afternoon. A lot of German POW's were interred in the U.S.; at least in and around Rochester NY during WW2. They helped with crop harvesting and helped construct a state park and all other sorts of general labor. Rochester was predominately German back then to the point of even having a German language newspaper. My mom's side of the family was total German and bi-lingual and this story reminded me of a few tales I heard growing up. Like how some POW's were clearing snow off downtown city sidewalks and they were amazed at how many Americans there spoke to them in fluent German. I never heard how closely they were guarded but I never heard of any escapees either.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good video! Thanks.

Originally Posted by 22250rem
Thanks for posting that. Don't have 30 spare minutes right now but will watch it later this afternoon. A lot of German POW's were interred in the U.S.; at least in and around Rochester NY during WW2. They helped with crop harvesting and helped construct a state park and all other sorts of general labor. Rochester was predominately German back then to the point of even having a German language newspaper. My mom's side of the family was total German and bi-lingual and this story reminded me of a few tales I heard growing up. Like how some POW's were clearing snow off downtown city sidewalks and they were amazed at how many Americans there spoke to them in fluent German. I never heard how closely they were guarded but I never heard of any escapees either.

Many in Phoenix, too. Submariners. A bunch pulled a big tunnel escape and planned to float down the Salt River to Mexico. Only the Salt River mostly flows underground there and all were recaptured. One of the prisoners was free with information for the US authorities about the latest German advances in subs and was tried by a POW court and found guilty of treason and hanged. A number of the perpetrators were tried by US courts, found guilty and hanged after the war in the last mass hanging in the US at Fort Leavenworth, IIRC.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My dad’s saintly Irish mom was employed as a cook at Camp Shanks NY. According to my dad the German POWs she fed called her “Mutter” (mother).

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
These stories go back far enough to highlight the better human nature of ordinary people. Whether ww2. Ww1, civil war

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 44mc, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.