Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
We are leaving the end of May for 10 days in the Luangwa Valley for Buffalo and plains game. I’m going to start hitting the sticks so I’m hopefully ready for that, but is there any last words of advice for a 1st time BG hunt in Africa?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
who are you going with?.....bob

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Johnny Duplooy and Muchinga Adventures.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Be patient, things move at a different pace especially at airports in Africa.

Keep a journal, I like writing in the evening.

You will bring too much stuff. You will figure that out on this trip.

Have fun!!!

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Be patient, things move at a different pace especially at airports in Africa.

Keep a journal, I like writing in the evening.

You will bring too much stuff. You will figure that out on this trip.

Have fun!!!

I have those parts down, and I already made those mistakes. 🤣 This will be my third time, but first time hunting big game (bird hunted and fished the Zambezi and two previous trips.)

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
shoot A LOT off the sticks....when you sight in by camp you will have 4 to 6 people watching....when you shoot at all you will have 4 to 6 people watching......

what is your game list?.......bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Practice your reloading and ensure your rifle feeds flawlessly. You might need more than one shot.

And if you're shooting with a scope, use the lowest magnification or use QD mounts and shoot irons. Again, you might need more than one shot.

You can load up some dummy rounds for practice to save on ammo. You can practice in the backyard without the neighbors calling the police.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
First, you suck! I would add shooting kneeling in case the cover doesn’t allow you to shoot standing.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jetjockey

You’re going to have an excellent hunt. Johnny is very good and fun to spend time with.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by CAelknuts

You’re going to have an excellent hunt. Johnny is very good and fun to spend time with.

I’m hoping so. The bills for it are starting to come in, so it better be fun. 🤣

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Johnny Duplooy has an excellent reputation. No doubt it will be a great experience. The people I have talked to who have been to the Luangwa Valley say it's an amazing place.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by CAelknuts

I’m hoping so. The bills for it are starting to come in, so it better be fun. 🤣

Don’t worry, Muchinga is very organized and well run. Laura and her staff will take great care of you until you’re in the valley with Johnny. They really do run a first rate safari company. Great people.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You think the bills are coming in now. Just wait until you get home and have to have your trophies shipped home. That’s when you really start to wonder about how much the trip really costs. It is a huge amount. I know cause I just made my next to last payment for my trophies from Namibia. Just waiting for the shipper to email me about their cost.

Rolly
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Rolly
You think the bills are coming in now. Just wait until you get home and have to have your trophies shipped home. That’s when you really start to wonder about how much the trip really costs. It is a huge amount. I know cause I just made my next to last payment for my trophies from Namibia. Just waiting for the shipper to email me about their cost.

With all due respect, trophy prep and shipping charges vary greatly depending on safari company and country. I think he will find Muchinga to be quite reasonable as far as this is concerned. They do their own processing and when I hunted with them I was very pleased with the condition of my trophies and overall cost. IIRC, dip & pack was $1,500 which is pretty reasonable these days.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Dip and pack is charged upfront, and is $1950 for us. Damn inflation. 🤣

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Grass will be tall that early, have hunted with them last couple years, great outfit, what block/concession are you hunting in??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, and the pepper ticks will be thick, so take some Doxycycline for TBF.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Practice, practice, practice-- shooting, dry-firing, reloading. Make sure that you are in decent walking shape and that your boots won't cause you problems.

Bring a head net for afternoon naps.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Johnny will have couple headnets in daypack if you forget, they are lifesaver if you eat lunch in field

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Practice your reloading and ensure your rifle feeds flawlessly. You might need more than one shot.

And if you're shooting with a scope, use the lowest magnification or use QD mounts and shoot irons. Again, you might need more than one shot.

You can load up some dummy rounds for practice to save on ammo. You can practice in the backyard without the neighbors calling the police.
You can never practice too much, for any hunt.

If you reload, it's a good idea to run all of your reloads through your rifle while your still at home. You don't want a stuck case in the bush.

Take a stout cleaning rod in your hard rifle case. In over 50 years of reloading and shooting thousands of shells, I've had only one cartridge where the primer went off, did not ignite the powder, but pushed the bullet into the barrel. This happened in South Afrida on a shot at a Caracal. No one in camp had a cleaning rod, but I did find a long steel welding rod in their vehicle garage that I wrapped with tape and got the bullet out.

Good advise to hunt with your variable scope set on low magnification. I once had a shot at a Sable bull in Mozambique that was standing in some high grass. I had my scope set too high and all that I could see through it was the grass.

I like the looks of a clean barrel, and none of my scoped hunting rifles also have iron sights.

I have not hunted in Zambia and I am jelous of your hunt. Have a good one!

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
245 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.