Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
If you prefer an O/U, have you considered used?

I have an older Winchester 101 20 gauge that I really like, though I purchased a little above your stated budget. I also had an older Browning Citori 20 gauge that I liked. The Browning was an 80s gun in like new condition that didn't move on Gunbroker I suspect because of out-of-favor 26" barrels, no extra choke tubes and a poor description by the seller. I think I paid $1,000 and not sure it had ever been fired. The Citori 12 gauge is pretty heavy but the 20s can be nice.

I also picked up a really nice Charles Daly (Miroku) 20 gauge with a semi-pistol grip (Browning Lightning style) in the Cabelas used rack for around $600. This gun is the same as a Citori but without the Browning name. It was a 28" M/F and seemed lighter than most Citoris and handled great. The feel was really similar to my above mentioned 101 but I was able to buy it at less than 1/2 the price. That gun falls into the rare category of shotguns I wished I'd kept.

I've never hunted AZ but have spent more days than I could count in Southern NM hunting quail and the not firing the second barrel on inertia trigger guns has been a problem for me when the wind and sand blow with certain models. Sand, sage and chamisa (rabbitbrush) get in there and cause problems. I've not seen this problem as of yet with a 101 (mechanical triggers I think) or a Browning Citori, BSS or Miroku, which are inertia triggers but don't seem susceptible to this.

Some gun designs seem to be worse than others regarding this issue in those conditions.

If the OP could find a Winchester, Miiroku, Browning, or even an SKB for $1000, that would do just fine, I bought a nice Merkel model 8 for $600 about 10 years ago, but I fear those days are over.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Agreed. I have little experience with SKB, but those sound like solid choices. I think I will go shoot one of my 101s now...

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Got a 12 ga SKB i am thinking of selling

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought an Affinity 3 for my grandson and it’s a keeper. It’s camo though, so I can’t speak to the wood-stocked models. Have handled, but not shot the Benelli, and it looks very nice too.

For myself, I stumbled onto a like-new Browning Gold Hunter made in 1995. Needed a couple of plastic internal things replaced, but parts are easy to come by, and now it’s like-new inside and outside. Only paid $750, and I get a lot of compliments on it. If you’re considering used, add it to the pile. I also bought a very pretty M12 20ga from a friend who’d expertly refinished the stock. That one’s very nice, and I’d also look at older Ithaca 37s.

I had a $1000 O/U, and won’t have another. $2000 is my starting point now. I wasn’t crazy about the looks of the Fieldmasters I’ve seen (2). Have yet to see the new Wingmaster in the flesh.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
You said your budget is $1000 or less and I don’t think you can buy a new Monte for that now, you would have to search for a nice used one, and the brand new restyled/upgraded Montefeltro introduced at 2023 SHOT retails for $1499 (Probly $1299 or so street price) BUT if you can afford a Montefeltro it would be by far my top recommendation otherwise the new Remarms 870 Fieldmaster is a lot of shotgun for the money and would be my best bang for the buck shotgun....Good luck...Hb

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a CZ Drake in 20 gauge and I love it. Should be able to find a new one in the 650-700 range.

Kelly

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I'm looking for a 20 ga to mostly hunt mearns quail.
Looking for walnut, under 7 lbs, contenders would be a Wingmaster, Orion various double barrels. Let's say budget is $1000. Are Wingmasters even being made anymore. In searching i only see " sold out".
I spend a lot more time on Shotgun World than here and am mostly a bird hunter. So, I will probably refer to discussion had on the SGW forums in answering you.

First, there are options in all 5 types of shotguns: Pump, Inertia Semi-Auto, Gas Semi-Auto, Over/Under, and Side-by-Side. I will mostly focus on the Semi-Autos.

In Pump there is really only the Remington 870. Production probably hasn't caught up yet.

For Semi-Auto, it's mostly going to be Turkish guns. There are some REALLY good Turkish options though.

Gas Semi-Autos:
- Beretta A300 Ultima - No walnut models made. Also, customer service is essentially non-existent. Luckily Cole's does warranty work for Berettas now.
- Mossberg SA-20/Tristar Viper G2 - These are the same gun and made by Armsan in Turkey. Both have essentially the same warranty. The Viper has a Bronze Cerakote model that is really good looking.

Inertia Semi-Autos:
- Impala Plus - Turkish made. Not YET offered in 20 gauge, but allegedly will be by summer. A lot of people are really impressed with this $500 shotgun. Compares very favorably to, or better than, Benellis
- Retay Gordion - Turkish made and another Benelli competitor. Most of the shotgun reviewers rank it slightly below or even with Benelli shotguns
- Franchi Affinity 3 - Basically the same inertia system as Benelli and are owned by Benelli.

For O/U and SxS, the only options will be the cheaper Turkish guns. Specifically the Yildiz HP/HPS/SPZ lines which are available at Academy. It's a $500 O/U and your chances of getting a lemon are much higher than a Beretta or Browning. But, it's $500 and there are a lot of people who really enjoy them and have no issues. Also, a huge plus is that Briley is the warranty work provider in the U.S.

Huglu/CZ has pump, semi-auto, O/U, and SxS offerings all under $1000. They aren't as well known or talked about as other guns, but people that own them seem to like them. There are all sorts of other brands/imports as well that I likely missed. I tried to cover the major players in the sub-$1000 space for new guns. Used guns open up a lot of other possibilities.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I'm looking for a 20 ga to mostly hunt mearns quail.
Looking for walnut, under 7 lbs, contenders would be a Wingmaster, Orion various double barrels. Let's say budget is $1000. Are Wingmasters even being made anymore. In searching i only see " sold out".
I spend a lot more time on Shotgun World than here and am mostly a bird hunter. So, I will probably refer to discussion had on the SGW forums in answering you.

First, there are options in all 5 types of shotguns: Pump, Inertia Semi-Auto, Gas Semi-Auto, Over/Under, and Side-by-Side. I will mostly focus on the Semi-Autos.

In Pump there is really only the Remington 870. Production probably hasn't caught up yet.

For Semi-Auto, it's mostly going to be Turkish guns. There are some REALLY good Turkish options though.

Gas Semi-Autos:
- Beretta A300 Ultima - No walnut models made. Also, customer service is essentially non-existent. Luckily Cole's does warranty work for Berettas now.
- Mossberg SA-20/Tristar Viper G2 - These are the same gun and made by Armsan in Turkey. Both have essentially the same warranty. The Viper has a Bronze Cerakote model that is really good looking.

Inertia Semi-Autos:
- Impala Plus - Turkish made. Not YET offered in 20 gauge, but allegedly will be by summer. A lot of people are really impressed with this $500 shotgun. Compares very favorably to, or better than, Benellis
- Retay Gordion - Turkish made and another Benelli competitor. Most of the shotgun reviewers rank it slightly below or even with Benelli shotguns
- Franchi Affinity 3 - Basically the same inertia system as Benelli and are owned by Benelli.

For O/U and SxS, the only options will be the cheaper Turkish guns. Specifically the Yildiz HP/HPS/SPZ lines which are available at Academy. It's a $500 O/U and your chances of getting a lemon are much higher than a Beretta or Browning. But, it's $500 and there are a lot of people who really enjoy them and have no issues. Also, a huge plus is that Briley is the warranty work provider in the U.S.

Huglu/CZ has pump, semi-auto, O/U, and SxS offerings all under $1000. They aren't as well known or talked about as other guns, but people that own them seem to like them. There are all sorts of other brands/imports as well that I likely missed. I tried to cover the major players in the sub-$1000 space for new guns. Used guns open up a lot of other possibilities.
excellent post cannot argue a bit with anything you put.
without a couple of my opinion TriStar tt15 over and under is a very good gun for the money they have some cheaper options which are viable but not to the quality of the TT series is. CZ 1012 is also in a inertia gun that is very well made.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by ldholton
without a couple of my opinion TriStar tt15 over and under is a very good gun for the money they have some cheaper options which are viable but not to the quality of the TT series is. CZ 1012 is also in a inertia gun that is very well made.
Oh, I agree that the TT-15 and CZ 1012 are both good guns. The TT-15 is likely the best Trap gun under $3000. Only issue with the TT-15 and CZ 1012 are they are both 12 gauge only and the OP is looking for 20 gauge.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Best choice would seem to be the 20 gauge Montefeltro, and they are good guns.

Similarly, my Benelli 12 gauge Ultra Lite weighs in at 6# even with 26” barrel and is my favorite chukar gun. My 12 gauge Montefeltro weighs 6.5#, and is excellent also. I like the dynamics of all of these Benellis; they are quite shootable and reliable.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX
Originally Posted by ldholton
Oh, I agree that the TT-15 and CZ 1012 are both good guns. The TT-15 is likely the best Trap gun under $3000. Only issue with the TT-15 and CZ 1012 are they are both 12 gauge only and the OP is looking for 20 gauge.
confession I missed the 20ga part , but they do have a TT-15 field in 20 ga .

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mossberg 500 pump.

Pawnshops are filled with them.

$150- 275 depending on condition.

yawn

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by HeavyDove
Mossberg 500 pump.

Pawnshops are filled with them.

$150- 275 depending on condition.

yawn

I have one, but my other shotguns won't even let it in the safe with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for the Affinity line up. Ours have done great for a number of seasons. Euro optic usually has good deals on them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Under $1000 I'd choose performance over walnut and live with plastic.

This is a lot of shotgun.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/beretta-a300-ultima-black-synthetic/

I ALMOST pulled the trigger on this a few weeks ago. LGS quoted me $810 OTD if I paid cash. But I wanted something with a 24" barrel, no more than 26" in a 20 ga. I ended up leaving a deposit and they ordered me a Benelli M2 in 20 ga and a 24" barrel. Price was $1200 OTD for cash. Should be in within a couple of weeks.

To ME it was worth $400 to get inertia operated and a shorter barrel. Might not be worth it to everyone.

I already have longer barreled guns for wing and clays shooting. I wanted a light weight turkey gun that could double as a woods bumming gun for shots of opportunity on squirrel, rabbit, or quail.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You’re going to like that Benelli.

smile

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by JMR40
Under $1000 I'd choose performance over walnut and live with plastic.

This is a lot of shotgun.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/beretta-a300-ultima-black-synthetic/

I ALMOST pulled the trigger on this a few weeks ago. LGS quoted me $810 OTD if I paid cash. But I wanted something with a 24" barrel, no more than 26" in a 20 ga. I ended up leaving a deposit and they ordered me a Benelli M2 in 20 ga and a 24" barrel. Price was $1200 OTD for cash. Should be in within a couple of weeks.

To ME it was worth $400 to get inertia operated and a shorter barrel. Might not be worth it to everyone.

I already have longer barreled guns for wing and clays shooting. I wanted a light weight turkey gun that could double as a woods bumming gun for shots of opportunity on squirrel, rabbit, or quail.
Nice! Is your new M2 going to be the newly upgraded model introduced at 2023 SHOT?....Hb

D
D
I have a few brand new shotguns for sale..won them in a raffle…going to catch hell for this, but I have too many shotguns

- [ ] Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga semi auto walnut
- [ ] Franchi Affinity 3 20 ga semi auto walnut
- [ ] Tristar over under cerokete finish 20ga. Camo
- [ ] Tristar Over under cerokete finish 12ga. Camo
- [ ] Stevens M301 20 ga camo with turkey grip

DM me for more info
I live in Harrisonburg, Va

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just picked up a minty m870 LW 3" 20 ga 28" VR mod choke for 585 tax included 6 1/4 #'s. For pricing reference , about 90-95% condition...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
D
Originally Posted by Duanalto
I have a few brand new shotguns for sale..won them in a raffle…going to catch hell for this, but I have too many shotguns

- [ ] Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga semi auto walnut
- [ ] Franchi Affinity 3 20 ga semi auto walnut
- [ ] Tristar over under cerokete finish 20ga. Camo
- [ ] Tristar Over under cerokete finish 12ga. Camo
- [ ] Stevens M301 20 ga camo with turkey grip

DM me for more info
I live in Harrisonburg, Va

Just realized I’m new and people can’t DM me… my number is 757-450-842one

Also the Franchi and Tristar 20ga are sold now

Still have the Benelli, Tristar 12ga, and Stevens 20ga

Thanks

Duane

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
671 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.