Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I was curious how yours is shooting. Finally got my stock from stockys last week but I haven’t shot it yet. The weather has either been too crappy to shoot or so pretty I’d rather ride horses with the family.

I like it so far Kaleb. I've just been monkeying around at 100 with it so far, but I can't find much to talk crap about. I put that honker of an Arken on it, so it's probably heavier than it has to be, but I kinda like the scope so far. I definitely understand the ideals of the 22 version of the same. The 6 ARC is a great cartridge in my eyes. Wished I'd gotten it in time for hunting season this past fall, but I think it'll get some use next year. I think I will monkey with the trigger and see if I can lighten it a touch, but as it comes, it's very shootable.

It'll definitely get some air time this year shooting steel though. It's too much fun to leave home. I will say I think a barrel chop is on order, just cause I have really liked the 20" CTR and I think the little Carbon gun will benefit from the same deal. Pretty handy little rifle to keep behind the seat of the truck.

Semper Fi
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Very good. I had this one chopped at 17” to allow for the suppressor. It does balance a pinch forward but totally fine. It’s light little and handy. I will replace the trigger not as much because it isn’t shootable but for my daughters. All they know are good triggers and I think it will be easier them swapping from rifle to rifle if all triggers are very similar.

I just received a 1-7” 223 Montana and will let them have at both and decide what they like the best.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If only the Howies were Stainless. Hint.............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by beretzs
I was curious how yours is shooting. Finally got my stock from stockys last week but I haven’t shot it yet. The weather has either been too crappy to shoot or so pretty I’d rather ride horses with the family.

I like it so far Kaleb. I've just been monkeying around at 100 with it so far, but I can't find much to talk crap about. I put that honker of an Arken on it, so it's probably heavier than it has to be, but I kinda like the scope so far. I definitely understand the ideals of the 22 version of the same. The 6 ARC is a great cartridge in my eyes. Wished I'd gotten it in time for hunting season this past fall, but I think it'll get some use next year. I think I will monkey with the trigger and see if I can lighten it a touch, but as it comes, it's very shootable.

It'll definitely get some air time this year shooting steel though. It's too much fun to leave home. I will say I think a barrel chop is on order, just cause I have really liked the 20" CTR and I think the little Carbon gun will benefit from the same deal. Pretty handy little rifle to keep behind the seat of the truck.

How is yours grouping? Have you done anything to it?

The reason I ask is I want one in 6 ARC pretty bad but my 6.5 Grendel is gonna need some help to get it shooting. I've done nothing to it but with factory Hornady ammo it's shooting patterns instead of groups

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dude270

How is yours grouping? Have you done anything to it?

The reason I ask is I want one in 6 ARC pretty bad but my 6.5 Grendel is gonna need some help to get it shooting. I've done nothing to it but with factory Hornady ammo it's shooting patterns instead of groups

I can't see anything but good out of this rifle D270. I have ran the 108 ELDs, 105 HPBT and 103 ELD in factory ammo through it. Nothing really crazy but this rifle has put 5 of the 108's and 105 HPBT into about an inch a piece, maybe a skosh less, with the 108's being a little better. The 103's are the worst so far but even 5 of those have gone maybe 1 1/4 or hair larger for 5. That's been the extent of my shooting. While it isn't quite one hole I am not worried about it shooting. I think as I get more rounds through it, it should get even better.

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very good. I had this one chopped at 17” to allow for the suppressor. It does balance a pinch forward but totally fine. It’s light little and handy. I will replace the trigger not as much because it isn’t shootable but for my daughters. All they know are good triggers and I think it will be easier them swapping from rifle to rifle if all triggers are very similar.

I just received a 1-7” 223 Montana and will let them have at both and decide what they like the best.

Great point about the trigger. What are you swapping them out to? Does the 3 POS safety still work with the trigger swap?

Originally Posted by Big Stick
If only the Howies were Stainless. Hint.............

Agreed. They are standing on the dock watching the ship float in that regard. The plastic BM isn't all together very awesome either. Guess it works but I don't have to like it.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That's plenty accurate enough with the factory ammo especially.

My carbon 6.5 is shooting more like 1.5" with 123 elds and 3" with 123 sst, which of course I have over a case of.

I'm sure if I messed with the bedding/forend pressure I can get more out of it I just haven't done it yet

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dude270
That's plenty accurate enough with the factory ammo especially.

My carbon 6.5 is shooting more like 1.5" with 123 elds and 3" with 123 sst, which of course I have over a case of.

I'm sure if I messed with the bedding/forend pressure I can get more out of it I just haven't done it yet

I am not sure why but the 6.5 Gren hasn't been great to me. I have a decent shooting AR but like yours its alot fussier than it should be, at least compared to the ARC AR and this Howa.

I dig this little 6 ARC Howa though.

I guess if yours continues to not run up to par, it's a solid donor for the 22 Gren or whatever iteration you want whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All the Mini Grendels I've shot,have been fhuqking HAMMERS. Hell...I even saved one OEM barrel,which is something I never do. Hint.(grin)

How EXACTLY is your rifle configured? Stock,bottom metal,base,rings and glass? What ammo have you fed it? Hint.

Mine thrives on Lapooey brass,400's,Lever' and 120gr 'Burner Smooches. Hint.

Burris 2pc Extreme Tactical #410600 steel bases,Swiffer Low's and Illuminatti. Hint.

Barrel chopped to 19" and crowned with a RCBS brass chamfering tool,because it cracks me the fhuqk up. Wayne's World handle. Hint.

It is a Dirty WICKED Fhuqker. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Stick

Rifle is factory carbon 6.5 mini, factory dbm.
Scope is a 6x SS, tally LW mounts (I know)

The only ammo has been Hornady factory, 2 kinds.

I don't even have dies for it.

Only thing I've done is pull the rifle apart and massage the trigger. I m positive it's assembled properly but bedding it couldn't hurt. It also has lots of forend pressure, but I've not seen a problem with that in light rifles before.

I cut corners in a lot of ways with it. I'm sure handloading and bedding it will go a long ways. I also intend to go to Burris bases, SS rings and a 1-4 SS when it's all said and done, I just had this stuff laying around and wanted to give it a go.

Wayne's BDL setup is in the future too but I thought I'd shoot it in factory guise for a bit

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Make sure the fore LW fastener,isn't touching the barrel shank. Hint.

I like a little preload on a Flyweight barrel channel,but don't go nuts and often relieve same to a lesser level. Hint.

As long as they ain't SST's,you should gain ground. Hint..............

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The factory sst shoot like royal sheet, the factory eld shos some promise.

I'll check that front mount too, not sure I remembered to initially.

I'm thinking a little love on the forend would help. It's darn snug.

I appreciate it

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like the "odds". Hint..................(grin)

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Beretzs

I’ve swapped all my Howas/Vanguards to timney in the past. I say that like it’s a lot. 3 or 4. The 3 position still works. One of them just didn’t want to lighten up as much as I’d like so a friend of mine helped with it. He polished it some and replaced the spring. Wasn’t a big deal and it’s totally fine. So I’m confident that I’ll be pleased with swapping this one for another timney.

What I’m not confident about is the plastic bottom “metal”….lol. I want to want the cz swap but stick has me second guessing that. I understand Wayne’s BDL is great but I sure like the idea of smooth feeding from a magazine. I guess I’ll use the plastic metal until I decide.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m in about the same boat myself. I can deal with the plastic till I shoot it more.

Good intel about the trigger swap. I’ll keep that in mind. I do okay with the HACT but I don’t know that I’m in love with it either.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I scoped a mini Gren a couple of days ago and hope to send a few through it this weekend. I went Burris 2 piece and reversed the front for a bit more wiggle room. Farrell 30mm lows to get it as low as possible to help kid's. Barrel is floated but getting close on one side. Pending shooting results I'll decide what to do on bedding. I may go full length, not sure, but at least the action/lug/shank. Feeds really well with the plastic and that's what it's going to have to live with until OG or JO get parts. Stock is LIGHT but doesn't seem to solid through the butt, really easy to compress.

JO's original design on the bottom metal was set up with plastic lips to center feed. That sounded very interesting to me and I'd like to have seen how it fed. He's now changed it to staggered.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If one were to convert to the CZ 527 mags, any issues using a 6.5 Grendel mag for 6mm ARC?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
224,243 and 264 Grendel sip from the same mag(s). Hint.

BDL opens doors,while DBM's close same. Hint...............

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I’m in about the same boat myself. I can deal with the plastic till I shoot it more.

Good intel about the trigger swap. I’ll keep that in mind. I do okay with the HACT but I don’t know that I’m in love with it either.

Update. I ordered a timney from euro optics’s and then got to thinking about the one Wayne sells that is labeled specifically for the mini. So I came home robbed one off a spare vanguard and the tab that is on the safety plate which locks the bolt does not work with the mini. So since the trigger is already on the way I’ll mess with it more when it comes in. I’m sure the one in the mail is exactly like the one I have but I’ll hold on until it gets here just to be sure.

I see it one of three ways. Chop the tab off and loose the bolt lock function which I don’t want to do. Send it back and order from Wayne like I probably should have to begin with. Or work the tab down similar to the oem tab. Could be time consuming and maybe too much for my dremel skills.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s great G2. So Wayne is the man to order the trigger from?

Semper Fi
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.