Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
That’s what I thought when I posted this thread…everyone has good things to say about Browning rifles (except for the style of the X-Bolts, which I agree, they’re not attractive). But you really don’t hear much about them compared to other rifles. I’ve also noticed they were more popular in the south, when I’ve hunted with folks from there- the Browning’s were pretty popular, but you don’t see too many here in the NE. Perplexing, but maybe I can start to change the trend!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What? No mention about how they are easily futzed up by bad weather, river sand, and other environmental hazards?

Those things futz me up too, so that wouldn’t keep me from buying one. The oogly part might, but compared to a lot of rifles from Yurrup, they’re almost classic in appearance. Rifles in that price range simply don’t show up in local shops around here. Cheap stuff is all the rage.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
B78’s are no slouch either

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I want one of them pretty bad. To me they’re the coolest single shot going. Nice rifle JM.

Semper Fi
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Got a Stainless Stalker A-Bolt II in 300 WSM that is a tack driver. It is my favorite hunting rifle.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If anyone knows where a lefty 7mm wsm is, let me know.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A few of them have followed me home over the last 30 years........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

High Wall, 30-06 Springfield

X-Bolt Max Long Range, 6PRC

A-Bolt, 300 Win Mag, rattle-can paint.

Custom Micro Medallion, 7mm-08

M71, 348 Win., High Wall, 300 H&H, M63, 218 Bee

Browning 1895, 30-40 Krag (Top)

1885 High Wall

Hells Canyon Speed, 26 Nosler

Max Long Range, 6.8 Western

BAR, 7mag.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
An 1895 in .30-06 is on my WTB list.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My first center fire was a left hand .270 A Bolt Stainless Stalker with a BOSS. That was about 35 years ago. I used it for everything even small varmints. I still use it from time to time. It’s the one rifle that’s been with me the longest and traveled the most. I could fill up this page talking about it. It’s one of those guns that’s so much a part of me that I can make a difficult shot with it quickly and not remember where I aimed. It has plenty of patina on it too.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Had an A-Bolt II for a quick minute in .270. It was recalled by Browning due to improper heat treating of the sear if I remember correctly. I always liked the feel of them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
I grew up bow hunting. From there I started ML hunting as the bases I was stationed on didn't allow rifle hunting.
Once I got out, I picked up handgun and rifle hunting. I had had other rifles up to that point, but after getting in some OT, I splurged and bought a Browning A-Bolt II SS Stalker in 7-08. It was my favorite rifle right up until I got into suppressed hunting and I gifted it to a good friend of mine who was just getting into deer hunting. It is now his favorite rifle.

I have not yet owned an X-Bolt, mainly because I have been building guns to my specs (shorter barrels with threads for suppressors), but now that Browning has come out with the Suppressor Ready version of the X-Bolt Speed, I am going to have to pick one up. I have been looking at the 7PRC version pretty hard.

The two main issues I have with the newer Brownings are 1) the triggers. Brownings have never had great triggers and from what I have seen the X-Bolts are no exception. Fortunately, their newest version does allow for a spring kit to be installed to help with it (similar to Savage and Ruger Americans). 2) the new magazine design. I was a big fan of the mag being held in by a hinged floorplate. It made loading and unloading super easy while also keeping everything buttoned up cleanly. I am sure that some probably like the newer detachable mag setup, but I prefer floorplates for that classic look, even on modern guns.

You are correct. But after changing out bith my Tikka T3 trigger springs I did some searching around. I found that the spring could also be changed out in the Browning. Boy did it make a diifference. You could get a few different spring tensions. Mine is set to about the same pull as both my Tikkas. Very nice now for a just a few bucks.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Or you can pull the spring and clip a coil or two off... I have done that to three of mine and used them for years.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It has fed my family and that matters most.

Its my first Browning.

Hells Canyon Long Range .270 WSM...........I love it!!
It is very well made, fit and finish is superb.

It is very accurate, feeds like butter from the mag, and wears an SWFA fixed 12X mil/mil.

I have run 130 ballistic tips and that has accounted for 2 deer and one turkey. Pigs 4, up this point. My hunting companion uses an A Bolt in .243 WSSM and kills deer every year with that rifle.

I have loaded 90 grain gold dots for the 6.8 in it and it is hell on jack rabbits and coyotes.

Would I buy another one...yes.

As far as it being a "thing" here in the south I guess it kinda is.

It seems that once the the silver haired older guys get one its "the one" when business is at hand. But the same can be said for older remingtons and winchesters that have been companions on past hunts with good memories.

I am now edging my way in to that crowd one hair at a time...ha ha. smile

The remark about the axis and the ruger are true as steps to "that Browning"

Last edited by HeavyDove; 01/30/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad collected long guns for decades.
Brownings were then and even so now considered the "holy grail" for the common guy to have in South Louisiana.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Killed my first deer with a Browning BLR in 308 Win, the only Brownings that I have now are a Citori and A5 in 12ga and a Belgium Bar in 270 Win

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
What? No mention about how they are easily futzed up by bad weather, river sand, and other environmental hazards?

Those things futz me up too, so that wouldn’t keep me from buying one. The oogly part might, but compared to a lot of rifles from Yurrup, they’re almost classic in appearance. Rifles in that price range simply don’t show up in local shops around here. Cheap stuff is all the rage.
. I used to have a Browning A-Bolt in 270 about 20 years ago. also, my hunting partner and his wife also have older A-Bolts. Yes, they handle well and are accurate. The wood stocks are classy looking as well. However, as all 3 of us learned, the bolt interior is complex (ie, any issues and you got to send it back to Browning or to a gunsmith). In fact that is what happened to my friend and wife, though after being repaired, they both kept their A-Bolts Compare that to an Winchester 70 bolt (which is super easy to field strip and maintain). I'm not saying the M70 is better than the A-bolt but to me it is more user friendly to maintain to prevent issues from occuring (which is important to me). YMMV.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anybody know or willing to measure max COAL in an X-bolt 223? I see they're available w/1:8 twist bbls, wondering if they got the mag box right along with the twist?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
I grew up bow hunting. From there I started ML hunting as the bases I was stationed on didn't allow rifle hunting.
Once I got out, I picked up handgun and rifle hunting. I had had other rifles up to that point, but after getting in some OT, I splurged and bought a Browning A-Bolt II SS Stalker in 7-08. It was my favorite rifle right up until I got into suppressed hunting and I gifted it to a good friend of mine who was just getting into deer hunting. It is now his favorite rifle.

I have not yet owned an X-Bolt, mainly because I have been building guns to my specs (shorter barrels with threads for suppressors), but now that Browning has come out with the Suppressor Ready version of the X-Bolt Speed, I am going to have to pick one up. I have been looking at the 7PRC version pretty hard.

The two main issues I have with the newer Brownings are 1) the triggers. Brownings have never had great triggers and from what I have seen the X-Bolts are no exception. Fortunately, their newest version does allow for a spring kit to be installed to help with it (similar to Savage and Ruger Americans). 2) the new magazine design. I was a big fan of the mag being held in by a hinged floorplate. It made loading and unloading super easy while also keeping everything buttoned up cleanly. I am sure that some probably like the newer detachable mag setup, but I prefer floorplates for that classic look, even on modern guns.

I have an Abolt II Stalker as well- in 260 and it is my go to rig. A few things- I put a spring kit on mine so it isn't just newer rifles. The trigger is perfect and it took about one minute start to finish.
I loved the skinny feel to it but it kicked hard for a 260 and was inconsistent. I learned it was picky about how you laid it on a rest. Put a B and C stock on it and wow - thing is a consistent tack driver and so much more comfortable to shoot. Love the 60° bolt throw and how the detach mag mounts to the floor plate. Nice and lightweight rifle paired with an ultraflex slogan sling is the easiest carrying thing you can imagine.

Oh- added later here but I also have a B92 lever action in 44 mag. Great actions and fun rifle.

Last edited by kenjs1; 01/30/23.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Online Content
S
I have hunted with an A-bolt II SS in 270 WSM since a long time. This gun is very accurate with almost anything I feed it. It handles very well. I had a local gunsmith shorten the trigger spring and the trigger pull improved significantly. He did that by grinding off one end of the spring. He was very careful not to remove a lot material, just a little.

I also have an X-bolt in 300 WSM. It is a very accurate gun and handles well. The trigger is better than the A-bolt. I am not crazy of the detachable magazine arrangement but I have had no issues. However I prefer the detachable magazine arrangement of the A-bolt because it is almost impossible to accidentally drop the magazine. Overall I like the X-bolt very much.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The new production xbolts and abolt3 suck ass, but the older abolts last forever and quality is excellent.

Fück Joe byron
B
B
I bought my A bolt stainless stalker in 92 took 3 inches off barrell (338 WM), mostly looks for moose and shoots just fine .. I am a lefty and it was what I found first - no regrets - there have been Remingtons and Savage in other calibres ... going to try some 180/185 weights this spring ... a little age suggests getting rid of some recoil ....

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 42 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,291
Posts18,467,947
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.