Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
What do you guys think of the current production Browning rifles? You don’t see a lot of them around my area, but a buddy of mine has an Abolt II in .300 Winchester that’s a tack driver. I’ve looked for used Abolt’s and they are going for as much or more than they were new. Even their BLR and BAR rifles- many guys on here using them?

Heal quickly and don't scar.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We bought my son an X-Bolt for Christmas in 2021. Nice rifle and accurate, but iota mostly expected as it’s 6.5 PRC. After shooting it last summer, I was pleasantly surprised by it.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not a scientific data point, but it seems like Brownings are the overwhelming favorite among deer hunters in the South more so than I observe in the Northwest. I might have to join the Buckmark crowd if I were in the market for a new caliber.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I was a Remington 700 and Winchester model 70 guy for years Bought one browning abolt and the flood gates opened Love the fit feel and weight and accuracy in every one I own

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've only had one Browning, a B-78 in .45/70 which supplied more meat than any other rifle I've owned. I got old, it got heavy and I sold it but, it did everything asked of it.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The original abolt and abolt II were very nice rifles. The buck was dropped with the abolt 3. Lots of flaws, dislikes so the abolt line got a bad rap. Believe me, the abolt 3 is no where near the abolt and abolt 2. As far as the newer xbolts, I'm not sure how they stack up to the older models but they do appear to have a pretty good following.

I have a medallion abolt II 7 mag with the Boss system bought is 1995 and it still drives tacks. The bolt is as slick or slicker than my tikkas.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Have an 1890 WY Centennial in 25-06 w/30" bbl. almost 4000 fps with Barnes 80s, sub moa and kills like a lightining bolt.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Every one that I’ve ever had shot well and was put together well. The two that I wish I still had were the lefty A-Bolt Medallion in 7 Mag & a BLR in 308.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JustinL1
What do you guys think of the current production Browning rifles? You don’t see a lot of them around my area, but a buddy of mine has an Abolt II in .300 Winchester that’s a tack driver. I’ve looked for used Abolt’s and they are going for as much or more than they were new. Even their BLR and BAR rifles- many guys on here using them?

Not much love for Browning Rifles publicly expressed.

I find them to be very accurate and most wood stocked Browings have a pretty nice chunk of wood under all that urethene.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have and use an SS Xbolt CF .308 Win. I like everything about the rifle -- light weight, weather resistant, short bolt throw and plenty accurate.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I grew up bow hunting. From there I started ML hunting as the bases I was stationed on didn't allow rifle hunting.
Once I got out, I picked up handgun and rifle hunting. I had had other rifles up to that point, but after getting in some OT, I splurged and bought a Browning A-Bolt II SS Stalker in 7-08. It was my favorite rifle right up until I got into suppressed hunting and I gifted it to a good friend of mine who was just getting into deer hunting. It is now his favorite rifle.

I have not yet owned an X-Bolt, mainly because I have been building guns to my specs (shorter barrels with threads for suppressors), but now that Browning has come out with the Suppressor Ready version of the X-Bolt Speed, I am going to have to pick one up. I have been looking at the 7PRC version pretty hard.

The two main issues I have with the newer Brownings are 1) the triggers. Brownings have never had great triggers and from what I have seen the X-Bolts are no exception. Fortunately, their newest version does allow for a spring kit to be installed to help with it (similar to Savage and Ruger Americans). 2) the new magazine design. I was a big fan of the mag being held in by a hinged floorplate. It made loading and unloading super easy while also keeping everything buttoned up cleanly. I am sure that some probably like the newer detachable mag setup, but I prefer floorplates for that classic look, even on modern guns.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The one X-bolt I had was sporting very nice walnut (as GW mentioned above) and the action was very slick. My problem was purely aesthetic... I just couldn't get past how the detachable mag distorted the lines of the stock.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a box full of them. They all drive tacks, much like the Ruger's, Winchesters and Remingtons I have. I just really like the tang safety and lock on close feature so I don't always have to check to make sure the bolt is firmly closed.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As mentioned above by someone, they are what all the cool kids use down here in the south. It's the dream rifle for most of those that carry a Savage Axis or Ruger American.

I'm more of a Ruger M77 and Winchester Model 70 fan myself, but I'm the exception to the rule around here, especially when it comes to Winchesters. I do have an A-Bolt II WGM in 270 Win. It's one of my most accurate rifles. I also have a BAR Longtrac in 30-06. It's accurate enough for deer or hog hunting and balances and carries far better than any Rem semi-auto I've ever handled or shot.

Overall, I'm not as enamored by Brownings as many around this part of the country are, but I like them well enough that those two have earned a permanent spot in my safe.

I do think the X-Bolts are butt ugly with the detachable mag and that God awful "bottom metal" that extends up both sides of the stock. sick

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ve had a bunch of A-Bolts and never had one that wouldn’t shoot.
Still have these three in ‘06, .22lr and .22WMR
There’s a stalker .308 my dad has of mine too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I do think the X-Bolts are butt ugly with the detachable mag and that God awful "bottom metal" that extends up both sides of the stock. sick

Yes.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
B78’s are no slouch either

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can’t say enough good things about my X Bolt Hells Canyon / McMillan 6.5 Creedmoor. Have shot it out to 1000 yards. Very little barrel fouling, out of the box accurate and feeds as smooth as it gets. Would not hesitate to buy another one.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only Browning that would not shoot was a synthetic stainless 300 RUM circa 2000

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm a lefty. Started with a Rem 700. Never really Winchester, but after they quit making them in left hand, I got on the Winchester train. At one time I had 9 of those.

Finally got an A-Bolt and now it's my favorite. I have 4 of them. I'm going to sell off everything else shortly. Love the tang safety, 60° bolt throw, etc. Carrying anything else doesn't seem natural anymore.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.