https://www.instagram.com/p/CPeh9U1Hz0G/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was predator calling one January about 4yrs ago. Heard a "growling roar" coming from the timber in front of me. Spooked the crap out of me since the only thing I could think of was a winter grizzly.

Finally saw a moose moving through the trees but thought it was moving off after hearing the same noise. A thorough check of the snow finally revealed that the moose and I were the only creatures around. A Google search later came up with a video similar to yours.

Learn something new everyday in the woods.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A few times over the years. The first time was WTF until we snuck on in to a decent sized bull and then couldn't get a shot. Nothing else around but the bull, satellites and cows.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago I was working up on a nice bull and had him really hot and bothered. I could not get him to come any closer than 50 yards which was beyond my bow range. He was literally roaring. Not grunting - he was roaring while tearing up trees. Finally decided to imitate a bull leaving while grunting and raking, making him feel as though he finally scared me off (cover too thick for him to see me). That did the trick. He could not stand to let his challenger simply walk away so he ran ahead of me to cut me off. At 7 yards his luck ran out. That's the only time I've ever heard a bull roar.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've experienced the moose roar a couple times but the last time scared hell out of my buddy. An SD buddy was here predator hunting with me and we were working an area where I had seen 92 moose in a field the week before. A grizzly had killed a calf and when we got close, the cow started to roar and my buddy thought it was the grizzly and he exited the area in haste.

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Had a big bull growl/roar at me 12 years ago after calling to it (never responded, then bumping it at 15 yards nearby in thick willows. Ferocious sound...puckered my butt for sure.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've heard the growl a few times. One winter the moose where thick and most had a bad attitude due to the high snowfall and lack of food. I was walking out of my garage for the night about 8:00 p.m, got about 30 feet out the door when I heard the clip-clop of a moose trotting towards me. I shined my flashlight towards it and seen a cow with her head down, ears back, coming straight for me. I high-tailed it back towards with the moose hot on my heals. I heard that growl right on my tail as I slammed the door behind me. I looked out the window and seen her outside patiently waiting for me. So I armed myself with a .45, but not wanting to actually shoot her and deal with the hassle of fish and game, I fired up a chainsaw and flung open the door revving the hell outta that saw. Mean ole' moose took of back towards the woods she came from with me hot on her heals now. Once she disappeared into the woods I put the saw away and crept back to the house waiting for her to come back for round two.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have chased them out of the yard with a loud 2 stroke leaf blower not the ones in the video kept eating my berries, the one in the video was a very angry cow! Had to fill in where she tore up the yard.

Someonhave must have messed with her after the video she raced 100 yards in every direction then came back to her calves.

Lots of bear in the area F&G has killed several brown bear within 100 yards, they use Eagle River as a corridor coming in and out of State Park, not hunted and are not friendly! But have more problems with moose and aggressive dogs!

Last edited by kk alaska; 01/29/23.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,609
Posts18,454,873
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.