24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are two different topics going on here, as is often the case.

One is the law itself: harsh, clear, no exceptions, been that way for many decades. That is reality, so deal with it and don't come if you have ever had a DUI. Period.

The other is whether it is a good law. What is the rationale for such a harsh law, and what good does such an inflexible application of it do for the host country? A statute of limitations, maybe after 25 years with no further police record of any kind, probably would benefit Canada economically and not cause the fall of Ottawa. But that is soft hearted logic, with no place at Canada's border which is dealing with Asian and other immigrants.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The real question to me is why is the U.S. sharing it's citizen's misdemeanor records with a foreign country? That shouldn't be happening.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
It didn’t affect me but what Okanagan said in his post is rational. How many people we know had an arrest record and have done well personally and professionally. A lesson learned i guess.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
It's to mosrly weed out the stupid and unlucky. Those lucky enough, (and marginally smart enough) to have never been CAUGHT DUI can go right in. smile

You know who you are.

5ths don't just come in bottles.....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The real question to me is why is the U.S. sharing it's citizen's misdemeanor records with a foreign country? That shouldn't be happening.

I think that's so Canadian Customs can clear Americans coming back to the U.S. When you fly from Nisku to Denver, you hop off the plane at arrival just like you came from Memphis.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What happens when a U.S. citizen shows up at the border crossing that would take you into Tok Alaska from Canada with no record of having gotten into Canada in the first place? Assuming they are a passenger in a vehicle with a vaccinated person that legally crossed the Montana border in the vehicle in question? Would there be consequences for the otherwise legal person?

The person in question would be carrying a U.S. pasport.

Last edited by Hastings; 01/30/23. Reason: added last sentence

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Unless it's a felony DUI, the rule is having a DUI within the last 10 years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hastings;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day down in your section of LA is behaving and you're getting appropriate weather for this time of year.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, it's a question that US Customs would have to answer as they decide who they are letting into the US or not, correct?

When you're entering Canada as a passenger, Canada Customs can and do ask a variety of questions.

My understanding is that they're able to run the US plates on the vehicle so they'll know if for instance it's stolen or if there's outstanding issues with the registered owner.

Typically when we've entered the US by car, they'll ask everyone in the vehicle their name, place of residence, purpose of the trip and duration of stay.

I'm going to guess and please know it is that, but I'm guessing that Canada Customs does that as well?

We get asked fairly often if we've ever been arrested when we're heading stateside driving.

When we fly I'm guessing all the dirt on me is on the passport that US Customs is scanning so they actually ask less questions when we're flying. Usually it's length of stay, sometimes purpose of the trip too - but since we've always been flying to warmer climates, they seem to pick up on that part. laugh

Not sure if that answered your question or not sir, but they might ask a passenger any question that enters their mind at the time. They're watching how we answer the questions more than anything else I think, but that's a guess too.

Best to you in the upcoming week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've posed this before, but about 30+ years ago, we had an Epic crossing at the main crossing into Canada from Washington.

I'll shorten it some....

Main crossing at high noon(us) is when the smugglers and non-custodial parents try it, figuring they'll be so busy they will slide right through. Nope.
Chev 3500 with topper crammed completely full of "stuff", much of it antique furneture inherited from MIL. And camping/traveling gear.
Wet paper bag with ears of Napa Valley corn sticking out right on top, in back. Cooked and eaten in parking lot.
My wallet was stolen in Winnemucca - no ID at all
Mid July- my wife's DL had expired the previous December
No paperwork on kids age 4 and 5 (or so) at all
Loose ammo under the driver's seat (I'd taken a rifle out to my Denver brother). Different ammo tho. They asked about the rifle...
"What's in the cooler?" "Breakfast fixings". Opened (they did) , bacon, eggs, bread on top. Close. The rest of it was Napa Valley fruit...

And the winner..... a wet, leaking, 9X9X9 cardboard box. Agent kept looking at it, then inspecting something else. repeat several times, until he just moved it aside without looking at it, or asking....

Earthworms for my yard. smile

And into Canada we were!

Those good old days are never coming back.

There was absolutely no way we could possibly be TRYING to get away with anything (much) , so they let us through. Being a dumfg didn't used to be illegal, anyway.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
las;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope you're keeping warm and well up in the Kenai today.

Thanks for taking the time to post the story, honestly it's the stories like that which I enjoy immensely here at our cyber 'Fire.

I'll reciprocate and try to keep it brief as I'm able to.

We had family out from Vancouver Island and in those pre-911 days, we could wander down to Ben Prince's store in Oroville which was a combination surplus, Ace Hardware and a grocery chain affiliate all in one. On any given day the parking lot was jammed and it was 95% Canadian plates.

They had a really good selection of reloading equipment and supplies as well as super cheap CCI .22 ammo, so my brother in law, father in law and I piled into my wife's '90 diesel Jetta and sallied forth.

When we got to US Customs they asked the usual questions.

Where were we headed? Prince's to spend money.

How long would we be there? Less than 2 hours because we needed to be back home before too long.

The usual stuff until one agent walked out and told us to park the car "over there" and come inside.

There were maybe 4 younger looking agents, one older agent and the 3 of us who they had seated apart on 3 walls of the room. One of the young agents gave us a question sheet and a writing stick of some sort and asked us to fill them in.

The questions were, "who is the person to your left and how long have you known them, who is the person to your right and how long have you known them, who owns the vehicle, what's in the trunk of the vehicle, etc."

We started answering solo, but seeing as the other two had questions about the car, one of us - either my not shy father in law or me being me - asked if we could discuss the answers?

The one young fellow immediately laughed and said, "Sure but we're right here" to which we all shrugged and continued with the questionnaire.

There no question that my good wife owned the car but nobody had a clue what she had in the trunk other than it wasn't going to be nefarious items. I suggested that one of them could go look as it wasn't locked and maybe help us out with that one?

Then we got into whether we'd met at a fall supper, church function or exactly when, but we knew the year and the general area.

Everyone seemed to be enjoying both our exchanges because everyone was chuckling in the room.

Presently the senior agent walked up to us, took our paperwork and said to the younger agents, "You all see these three here, there ARE NOT your target audience. You folks have a great day and spend lots of your hard earned money while you're down here".

And we did just that.

Thanks for reading and all the best.

Dwayne

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Hastings;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day down in your section of LA is behaving and you're getting appropriate weather for this time of year.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, it's a question that US Customs would have to answer as they decide who they are letting into the US or not, correct?

When you're entering Canada as a passenger, Canada Customs can and do ask a variety of questions.

My understanding is that they're able to run the US plates on the vehicle so they'll know if for instance it's stolen or if there's outstanding issues with the registered owner.

Typically when we've entered the US by car, they'll ask everyone in the vehicle their name, place of residence, purpose of the trip and duration of stay.

I'm going to guess and please know it is that, but I'm guessing that Canada Customs does that as well?

We get asked fairly often if we've ever been arrested when we're heading stateside driving.

When we fly I'm guessing all the dirt on me is on the passport that US Customs is scanning so they actually ask less questions when we're flying. Usually it's length of stay, sometimes purpose of the trip too - but since we've always been flying to warmer climates, they seem to pick up on that part. laugh

Not sure if that answered your question or not sir, but they might ask a passenger any question that enters their mind at the time. They're watching how we answer the questions more than anything else I think, but that's a guess too.

Best to you in the upcoming week.

Dwayne
There are ways to get into Canada without detection. If that unvaccinated person were then picked up in Canada by his wife who entered legally in a legally owned vehicle would Canadian authorities first have to clear the vehicle occupants before you were able to get to the U.S. border authorities in Alaska? Would a U.S. citizen at the Alaska border carrying a U.S. passport be detained by Canadian authorities for not checking in through the border authorities in Montana?

As ''they'' say, asking for a friend.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hastings;
Good evening once more sir, I still hope you're well and had a decent day.

Having some reasonably direct connections with LEO who monitor such things, I would caution you that there are more cameras, etc. out there on the medicine line than there used to be or that's what this "they" seem to indicate.

I'm not sure we have a vax requirement coming into Canada anymore? Sorry it still might be but I thought I heard it was dropped.

It's not dropped for Canucks wanting to head stateside, but you can re-enter the US as a citizen if I'm not wrong.

Again not being in the LEO business, I could only guess at to an answer to your question.

I do not believe we've got an equivalent to Homeland Security who stopped us 500 yards from crossing back into Canada to do a spot check.

One supposes that if something went awry in your travels, say a MVA or you had to use medical services it might be possible they'd trace how you entered?

Sorry I don't really have the answers you're looking for, if I do find other information I'll pass it along.

Best to you all.

Dwayne

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All of the UK does the same thing on DUI. At an airport in NY headed to Ireland the guy in front of me was refused a seat without explanation. I asked if he had a DUI and he frowned and said yes.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, it doesn't sound to logical, but our two Governments have done some really stupid stuff together.
The International Carpenters Union Training center is located in Vegas fr various reasons, but any of our members who are going down for training or conferences have to have a squeaky clean record or they will be refused entry into the U.S.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.