Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
Again...I appreciate the info and insight. I thought I had a system picked out but the group reminded me that once I have a sharp blade in the field, the goal is not to sharpen it start to finish but rather to just maintain an already-sharp edge if necessary. So, I went with the DMT set of 3 stones for home (hard to break the old habit of having a block in front of me I guess) and a leather strop. For the field I already had some small diamond steel rods, but added a DMT "fine" folder and a small strop for my bag to see how those work.

And by the way, I got that Buck 113 Skinner delivered. It's a site to behold and I'm eager to use it. I already had a Buck 110, but now I also have a Buck 112 on the way. I've had a small Buck Alpha Dorado for many years, but just recently noticed that it also has S30V steel. I got it before I even knew what S30V was.

A good day to all!

Isn't "fine" diamond for dull knives? That seems too coarse for touch up compared to a ceramic.

BP-B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Lansky system

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You will not need to touch up your S30V blade in the field if you arrive with it already sharp. You should be able to breakdown two elk without a touch up. Although not necessary, I carry a collapsible hooked blade carpet knife for the hide cuts, it is faster, lighter and smaller than most sharpening systems. Cutting dirty hide and banging the edge against bone is your edge's enemy.

These types of blades: https://www.amazon.com/Home-Planet-Gear-Hook-Blades/dp/B0872J1TPP/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2GLL93HORLRLK&keywords=hooked+cutter+tool&qid=1673892291&sprefix=hooked+cutter+tool%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-4

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Again...I appreciate the info and insight. I thought I had a system picked out but the group reminded me that once I have a sharp blade in the field, the goal is not to sharpen it start to finish but rather to just maintain an already-sharp edge if necessary. So, I went with the DMT set of 3 stones for home (hard to break the old habit of having a block in front of me I guess) and a leather strop. For the field I already had some small diamond steel rods, but added a DMT "fine" folder and a small strop for my bag to see how those work.

And by the way, I got that Buck 113 Skinner delivered. It's a site to behold and I'm eager to use it. I already had a Buck 110, but now I also have a Buck 112 on the way. I've had a small Buck Alpha Dorado for many years, but just recently noticed that it also has S30V steel. I got it before I even knew what S30V was.

A good day to all!

Isn't "fine" diamond for dull knives? That seems too coarse for touch up compared to a ceramic.

Hey 4th Point...good call!

I continued to research and read what actual users had to say and ended up getting the DMT folder with a fine stone on one side, but an extra fine on the other. The extra fine side does seem much better suited for touch-ups. Thanks!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
When I get new diamond stones I’ll sharpen all my cheap knives first as it seems to break in the stone and it is not as aggressive afterwards. I use the DMT red diamond stone mostly, but I rarely use it as I don’t let my knives get that dull by maintaining the edge with ceramic rods and a leather strop.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Search Dozier knife sharpening on YouTube and one of the first videos will be Dan Crotts sharpening a knife. It’s worth watching.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey 4th Point...good call!

I continued to research and read what actual users had to say and ended up getting the DMT folder with a fine stone on one side, but an extra fine on the other. The extra fine side does seem much better suited for touch-ups. Thanks!

Good deal. I bet that extra fine and mini strop will do a good job.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
606 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.