Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
160user Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Someone asked about this a while back and I finally found the recipe and thought I would share. It is easy to carry these ingredients in the truck when going on a hunting trip in case the dog gets into a "Stinker".

The destink process:

1 qt. Hydrogen Peroxide - the brown bottle drug store variety
1/4 cup Baking Soda (approx amount - I do not measure it)
1 squirt of Dawn Dishwash Liquid

Combine ingredients immediately before use, stir to dissolve the baking soda and give the dog a bath in the solution. The peroxide will react with the skunk juice and other organic matter and bubble up quite a bit. It does not hurt to let it soak a while.

Rinse with cold water and discard the leftover solution. Do not try to save it. The peroxide continues to break down and will cause a sealed container to burst and it will break down to just soapy water over time anyway.

I keep all these ingredients in the truck along with a plastic bucket to mix it in when needed.

You can bathe dogs with this solution as well but you need to keep it out of their eyes.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Take a bath in tomato purée … is about the only thing that worked when I was a kid and got caught up in dispatching a skunk I caught in a trap…

160user Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This works much better! I have tried both.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Time is the only thing that really works...

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Go to Walmart and get a bottle of "Pooph!" It chemically neutralizes organic smell molecules. LINK

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use powdered laundry detergent with the hydrogen peroxide and liquid dish soap. Make a thick paste and cover your dog from head to tail. Then let them sit outside for an hour or until you feel sorry for them. Then hose or rinse off keeping the soap out of their eyes. It works. Taught this method by my vet. Makes their coat nice and fluffy too!

God Bless America
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Take a bath in tomato purée … is about the only thing that worked when I was a kid and got caught up in dispatching a skunk I caught in a trap…

Not even close to the tried and true mixture in the OP.

Had my hunting dog buddy sprayed 80 miles from the house and had plenty of tomato products onhand and used it all on him in a very vigorous washing session. It got him de-skunked enough for the ride home in my truck, but still strong odor..

Got him home and bathed in "the recipe" and you couldn't catch a hint of skunk after.

I use "the recipe" several times a year with the same results. With multiple dogs, it's not IF they get sprayed, it WHEN. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Go to Walmart and get a bottle of "Pooph!" It chemically neutralizes organic smell molecules. LINK

That looks like a handy thing to have. Next time I make my annual visit to wally world I'll pick some up.

God Bless America
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by 160user
Someone asked about this a while back and I finally found the recipe and thought I would share. It is easy to carry these ingredients in the truck when going on a hunting trip in case the dog gets into a "Stinker".

The destink process:

1 qt. Hydrogen Peroxide - the brown bottle drug store variety
1/4 cup Baking Soda (approx amount - I do not measure it)
1 squirt of Dawn Dishwash Liquid

Combine ingredients immediately before use, stir to dissolve the baking soda and give the dog a bath in the solution. The peroxide will react with the skunk juice and other organic matter and bubble up quite a bit. It does not hurt to let it soak a while.

Rinse with cold water and discard the leftover solution. Do not try to save it. The peroxide continues to break down and will cause a sealed container to burst and it will break down to just soapy water over time anyway.

I keep all these ingredients in the truck along with a plastic bucket to mix it in when needed.

You can bathe dogs with this solution as well but you need to keep it out of their eyes.

This works. Used it on my pup a few years ago. Excellent remedy.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it works, I have the ingredients at the house, the farm house and both farms, just in case. Used it at least a dozen times. Not perfect, but good enough for the pup to ride in the cab instead of the back of the pickup.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used the peroxide, baking soda, Dawn mixture several times!
It works.
My two Rotty's are prone to skunk destruction. Literally ripping them to shreds. I've watched the male go back and attack the pieces!
They get soaked!

The mixture reduces the stench to a somewhat tolerable level, but nothing but time will actually remove the aroma!
Now, to bathe two Rotties, you'd probably have to mix up a couple of gallons of the stuff! LOL!

Had a skunk spray my front door. Wife washed that door several times. Every time it dried, you could see the greasy spots of the spray. Long after the odor was gone, the spots stayed!
I finally had to paint the door with Kilz and repaint to get rid of the spots.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
But at $30/spray bottle. You can buy gallons of tomato juice or peroxide for the same money and they've been proven to do the same thing.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sheesh....it's just a little skunk smell.

I am surprised you tuff guys don't go live in a hotel for a week afterwards.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Don't drink Heineken in the first place...

Easy peasy...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've hunted South Dakota the last 3 years and my dogs have been skunked each time. The recipe the OP posted was what Otis received in the picture below. It worked.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pooph.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The last time my dog got sprayed I had good luck with some industrial grade orange hand cleaner I had in the shop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Don't drink Heineken in the first place...

Easy peasy...

Winner! 🏆

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Listerine mouthwash warsh. The original formula.

Seriously

Black Cows Matter!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JeffP
Time is the only thing that really works...

Not true, the mixture works very well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
512 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 50 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.