24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Harry, yes, the long wait. I know exactly what you mean.

My new knee is scheduled for Feb 9, but I’m rather envious of your new lens. Strange as it sounds, I’ve been waiting for cataracts to take advantage of the same. Very tired of glasses.

Seems my joints are going first though. Probably now paying the amount-due, for all those years of running.

I’m sorry you couldn’t get a second trip in. Lord-willing, we will thrill to it again, next fall.

BP-B2

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I'll still be wearing glasses to read. Will only have a slight distance correction in the one eye. Have been wearing glasses for years. NBD.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The snow on the flat is as deep as the crop/grass on it, generally speaking. Like a cut corn field will have snow as deep as the stalks or close to it. A wheat stubble field is as deep as the stubble. The trees where the birds are surviving are full of snow drifts sometimes 6-8' deep, and so there's no path through for a person, the dogs have to do the work. The birds fly and generally go right back into the woody cover.

We walked on the outside where we could and the whole thing was ok if you're a guy who left home at 130 and will be home for supper but if you had to pay to get here and stay etc I think you'd feel like your time was better spent elsewhere.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Talked to a friend of mine who is a staff wildlife biologist for sdgfp. He traveled to Aberdeen last week for meetings he said the snow cover was really heavy in the windbreaks and cattail sloughs tough on cover for the birds. He saw birds in large bunches concentrated where the eats were. In Central to north central SD there is still 3-4 months of winter left. Keep your fingers crossed that they don't get any more large blizzards...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No joke MB, the critters need to catch a break.

IC B2

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD
We walked on the outside where we could and the whole thing was ok if you're a guy who left home at 130 and will be home for supper but if you had to pay to get here and stay etc I think you'd feel like your time was better spent elsewhere.

The difference between those who have....or don't have....great Bird hunting almost out the back door. grin When we could get 20-30 Grouse flushes a day here, there was no reason to drive all that far. When you don't have it, then how much you want it becomes the question.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We haven’t had the snow for years like we have this year. We have a rather shallow roof angles and so have had to have a foot of snow removed from the last four or five feet of roof up from the gutters where we have ice-damming.

The guys pulled it down on our rear deck, putting a seven foot pile between our porch door and our grill. Looks like we won’t be grilling until June.

But driving anywhere in the country astonishes most folk because of the birds that are now bunched and visible even here in NW Iowa. Totally agree though that with 2-3 more months of potential storms, the birds are “up against it” as an old patient liked to say. Plus, they need warm, mild conditions going into May-June nesting.

On a positive note, the country looks pristine where the farmers aren’t already spreading manure. It’s like rattle-canning the Sistene Chapel. Jeepers, just wait a month or two. 😜

I’ll share an informal New Year’s resolution with you all — I will not buy another shotgun in the off-season…I will not buy…

Stay warm and well gents.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
George, I seem to remember you like them right around 6 Pounds.....6 pounds 3 ounces...Something to take your mind to a happy place, when they are twisting on your new knee.

https://www.fieldsportltd.com/gunroom/gun_view.php?gunId=3795

Last edited by battue; 01/24/23.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Harry, interestingly my Batista Riz Aurora, though an O/U, matches that RB Riz BR550 Aurorum 20 in measurables — 6 lbs,3 oz, but with 28” barrels and a POW grip. Price new was prob in the neighborhood too.

Getting it used, it came only with the inserted chokes, M/IM. But as Elvis once said, “that’s ok with me.”

I’m willing to bet that by this September, you will be posting pic’s of your newest wonderkind shot thrower. 😀 👍🏼

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was in SW MN a week or so ago and conditions were the same. Lots of snow, little cover. Saw a lot of birds which was surprising due to the prior weather but it is worrisome as there wasn't much cover left.

It looked better down there than at home north of The Cities as I actually saw a number of hens. Since Christmas I have seen only a handful of hens up here which bodes poorly for spring. Roosters are more visible though in fewer numbers than I would expect considering what was around last summer. I'm afraid the couple storms with a day or more of rain followed by dropping temps and blowing snow did a number on hens. My food plot of sorghum is completely covered as is the cattail swamp. I am afraid how many birds perished in there. The Halloween Blizzard in 1991(?) did much the same and my dogs found 53 live birds under the snow which were released. I took home limits of birds that didn't make it over the 9 days I was able to look.

Two roosters regularly scrounge under the bird feeder, something that hasn't happened in 25 years. The one peeks out from the cedars and spruces when I fill the feeders. I'm thinking he will come when called in a couple more weeks. If he makes it.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We had a decent thaw this week in town along the river at least. Going back up on Sunday to give them another go. Supposed to be cold but sunny and windless.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Temps dropped a bit here, expected to have single digits as a high for the next week. Then a few days in the teens until a predicted week in the 20s occurs. That is, if you can believe the weatherman.

The snow is crusting hard, hard enough more pheasants are showing up at the feeder. Today had 6 roosters and a pair of hens in the yard. Hopefully, the hens make it through till spring though that is quite a while away. Also had a coyote cruise the front yard looking for a meal. I doubt the pheasants roost nearby but there are at least 8 rabbits I wouldn't mind see disappear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tough year for wildlife. I had an unexpected treat the other day on the way back from Sioux Falls. I spotted a small covey of Hungarian Partridges out in a field. This was only the second sighting for me in decades. In the ‘80’s we saw them fairly often while pheasant hunting.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We busted a covey of Huns north of Highmore 5-6 years ago but hadn't seen any in this country in as long before or since. They were ubiquitous in this part of the world back in the 80's. They seem to do better north and west of here. Too bad, they're sporty birds.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It was not sunny and windless. It was about zero and blowing 15 and really quite miserable but we shot a limit of pheasants in a short time yesterday and I think that will close out the season for us. Let the dogs ride inside the cab on the way home even. The shooting was excellent and we were glad to be out of the house even for a short time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BK, that’s a breeze with razor blades. Right at -20*. A long time ago, an elderly gent, referring to painful outdoor pursuits, characterized it as “when the sorrows outweigh the joys”. Although, did it a lot when I was younger, that would have been it for me.

Great that you could get to the birds and have some good shooting. I’m sure the dogs were appreciative of your filling out quickly. 🙂

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a new hat, my youngest thought my blaze orange Stormy Kromer was shot, and for Christmas, she replaced it for me. I don't think my head was ever so cold as it was in that new hat. Let the breeze right through; so I reverted to the red Stormy that you see in the picture above. My face and hands were quite cold; that said, I think the dogs would have stayed allllll day long. They seemed very glad to be out with the birds.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Well the wind was whistling thru the middle guys jeans also.

You guys were living large at that ranch!!!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Battue: Its good to have friends like they are; and they would say the same of us.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The way it should be!!!!👍🏻

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,901 guests, and 1,435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.