Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Greetings, friends from the North,

I have a deer hunt booked for November in Northern SK. I’m from ND and used to be fairly cold-hardy back in the day before being wussified from living in TX. I hunt ND and/or MT nearly every November but I’m never still for hours on end.

I’m trying to upgrade my cold weather clothing this winter so I am ready this fall. What are your go-to items when layering up for a long day in the deep negative temps? I figured the guys who frequent this page would be best equipped with advice.

Thanks in advance,

Stros

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have lived in Northern Alberta since 1973, trapped, guided and hunted as well.
I use pretty old school gear as far as clothing goes

Wool pants , shirt and Jacket, downfilled vest, and Helly Hansen or Stanfield long underwear. Fur hat or Smithbuilt campaign hat on top, but I think Saskatchewan has an orange gear gear law, not sure.
Socks are wool, and for boots until it gets-20c, I use 800 gram Irish Setter Elk Trackers . Colder than that , Kennetrek pacs, other guys use Schnees or Baffins .
When it us really cold , I wear lined mitts with light shooting gloves inside them.
However, if you are hunting out of a blind, it most likely will be heated , so I would talk to the outfitter and find out what they use.
Saskatchewan is a great Province, you should have a fantastic hunt!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01/31/23.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Change socks regularly, Darn Tough is a good way to go. Use antiperspirant on your feet to keep them drier.

Take niacin tablets if you start getting cold.

Do not bundle up from the beginning, Start with hat off and coat unzipped, gloves off. Then put stuff on as the body part gets cold, It works.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Basically similar gear as Cat. I like bibs over pants if really cold as they help keep my back area warmer. Good cushion for a bony butt. Some hard candies and a book to scan at times.

My hands get cold fast so I tend to wear a mitt on my non trigger finger hand (left) and put the right in a pocket with a hand warmer pad if really cold.

Hugh
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Change socks regularly, Darn Tough is a good way to go. Use antiperspirant on your feet to keep them drier.
When traveling in the winter by snowmobile or the dogs, we always made sure we had extra socks, and would change them mid day.
It's amazing how much difference it makes when it is -35 out!
I still keep an extra pair of socks in my day pack even if only going out for a short walk in the morning.
Cat

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by HughW
. . . Some hard candies and a book to scan at times.

^ ^ ^ yes
A few pieces of candy to have also helps
to keep the frog out of your throat.

Just me- I don't have books or game boys
or text or any of that while hunting. I don't
want to be distracted and miss seeing
anything at all. Not to mention the something
might see you diddling with your phone
or whatever and turn away and leave and
you never know it was there.
I can't say at the times I've been looking
hard one way or another only to turn
back around and see an old doe 20 yards
away staring right at me and there's no
way to get a bow or gun into position.

I don't get "bored" when hunting or fishing
or camping.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You need a Hudson's Bay Blanket ,pure wool. Wrap it around your shoulders and some beef jerkey from the local friendly indians .Seriously..you need a hooded parka and leather topped snow boots with rubber bottom double mitts and be careful ; you'll be surprised how cold it gets up there . Good Luck !

Last edited by Malcolm; 01/31/23.
B
B
I dont like running the heat myself unless absolutely necessary.

In a ground blind, I bring a comfy and quiet chair. Layer up with snow pants. Take my boots off and jump into a sleeping bag. Throw a few hand warmers in the bottom and zip it up. Cheap and warm.

For entertainment, I usually just daydream and scan whats in front of me.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you're hunting out of a box blind, just pack your sleeping bag and use that for the sit.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The sleeping bag is a good idea^^^^

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
The sleeping bag is a good idea^^^^

673;
Good evening my friend, I hope the day went your way and you're all well.

While I've told this one before here, it's been awhile so hopefully I can be forgiven if I do again.

The first year we were married we bought my wife a little .308 Remington carbine that she picked out herself down in a shop south of us that was only open in the evenings because they were harvesting and/or hunting during the day.

Anyways we'd built a bit of a blind with Canola straw on the corner of an alfalfa field of ours where we'd see lots of tracks coming onto the field. We'd park the '80 Toyota about 500 yards back down in a slight hollow and hike up to the blind for morning and evening hunts.

There we were, sitting in what was dubbed "The Crow's Nest", it's -38° and we've got all of the winter gear on we owned, plus a goose down mummy bag as a blanket over top of us. Since it's Saskatchewan, the wind is blowing too.

After about an hour and a half, a buck comes out, she quickly leans across the side of the blind and shoots the buck.

I could tell it was a good hit and was pretty excited, but she just gets up and says, "You go get the buck, I'm going to get the truck, I'm frozen!" laugh

So she did and I did and she had her first deer.

Honestly we both talk about it now and don't think we could take the cold out there like we used to.

Best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Saskatchewan is home for me, and yes, it can be darn cold. You've had some good advice so far. The following are my personal dress habits if hunting from a blind in very cold weather:

Wear good merino wool next to your skin. Socks, long underwear, and long sleeved undershirt. Nothing comes close to good merino for comfort, warmth and you won't start stinking for days ( instead of hours like synthetics). Smartwool, Icebreaker, And True North are brands I like and use.

Bib overalls are better than pants. Easier to move in, and combine better ventilation with less drafts up your back. Get the kind that have a side lower leg zipper so they are easier to get into and out of. Also, have a down vest in your pack that you can use to add a layer, or take it off if too warm . Vests take almost no space or weight and really help you regulate temperature.
Whatever coat you like, make sure it is quiet has a good insulated hood. Gore-tex or other membranes freeze, get brittle, and are way too noisy in extreme cold. And they make you sweat. Their water vapour passing qualities quit in extreme cold.

Hats by themselves just don't do the job. I prefer a tuque over other hat styles, they are more versatile. "watch cap", "beanie", for whose who don't know what that is. Be advised, those names don't apply in Saskatchewan. Your tuque must be orange, red or yellow to be legal in Sask. during rifle seasons while hunting big game. I often wear a thin synthetic or wool balaclava with a tuque on top. If the wind's really blowing you can flip up your hood over all that and your head will be warm no matter what the weather. You will need a safety vest over your coat of those bright colours or it may be white. I often hunt with a white over coat because it acts like camo in November and also meets the safety colour requirement. Avoid those glowing white u.v. brightener-enhanced polyester fabric over coats. Soft cotton washed in non-uv & non-scented detergent is far better.

Wear mittens not gloves. Fingers touching keeps each finger warmer. The mitts with "one finger" to use for small tasks or shooting are OK, but I prefer the ones with the slot that you can sneak a finger out for shooting. Leather cover, not noisy nylon. Removable wool liner mitts. Same materials with boots. Nylon-top snowmobile style boots are warm, but way too noisy. Baffin, Kamik, or Sorel style rubber bottom leather top boots with felt or synthetic REMOVEABLE liners are the best style of footwear. Bring a spare pair of boot liners. Change the liners every day. Hang your damp pair at the end of the day near the heater in camp, and use the spare dry pair the next morning. Boots with built in insulation are a big problem. There is nothing worse than sweaty boots with built in insulation that you can't dry. The only way to live with them is to wear antiperspirant on your feet as suggested previously.

A thin small piece of sleeping pad foam helps a lot to keep your butt warm if there is no heat in the blind. Keep it in your pack.
Another couple tips:
Take great care not to breathe on your scope or binoculars. And bring a lens cloth for when you do. Flip up lens covers look dorky, but they do help.
A few chemical hand warmers work wonders when you have to field dress a deer or some other bare handed cold task, and you need to get your hands quickly warm again. Keep a couple in your pack.
ALWAYS carry a couple ways to make a fire in any conditions. That might save your life.

If you dress properly, the cold really isn't a problem. And it's not always "cold" at least as we define it. That's when those layers come in handy. I hope you have fun, and shoot a BIG one!

Last edited by castnblast; 01/31/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently picked up a heated vest from ScentLok on a whim
It worked great on stands thru early December here in Vermont. It’s nice to have something besides my own body make a little heat. I kept one 18k AH battery pack in the pocket & an extra in my pack. Easily lasted the whole day.

https://www.scentlok.com/be-1-reactor-blackout-series-vest-plus

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
On the sleeping bag topic, I use a relatively light down bag, take boots off on stand. Another thing that’s always in my hunting day pack is a closed cell foam pad. It’s padding and insulation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing I found great that a friend uses in his pop up blind is a piece of carpet that covers the floor .
Rolls up easily and makes a huge difference in the temperature near the ground .
Cat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never realized how much heat you lose through your exposed ears. When my hearing got bad enough that I couldn't hear deer or hogs walking in the leaves I bought a set of sound amplifying ear muffs that would cancel the rifle shot noise. The difference in how much warmer I felt was exceptional and I could hear again.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've often used a sleeping bag as suggested already. The key is to not sweat in any way before getting to the stand. Wear as little as practical while driving and walking in. Pack in your heavy cloths and possibly even boots and then put them on when you start getting cold on the stand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RHClark
I've often used a sleeping bag as suggested already. The key is to not sweat in any way before getting to the stand. Wear as little as practical while driving and walking in. Pack in your heavy cloths and possibly even boots and then put them on when you start getting cold on the stand.
You are very right about this. If you work up a sweat in freezing temps there will be hell to pay once you get stationary.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I hunted in KS this year, it was 19 degrees, not really all that could by comparison but pretty chilly with the wind. I spent five days in Saskatchewan hunting dawn to dusk from a blind that we really just a pile of logs stitched together, got my deer at 1PM on last day, sat there until dark until the outfitter picked me up. Sitting is always much colder than moving about, my feet turn to blocks of ice no matter what I do, lack of circulation is the culprit when sitting for hours. I stand from time to time when I can to help circulation and these days, I never hunt without toe warmers, they are a life saver and the stick to your insoles and you forget they are there except for the warmth. An insulated hooded jacket is a must have, keeps you warm and really blocks the wind if you can turn your back to it. Also, make sure your layers allow for some air in between, don't go to tight. It never got above 8 degrees during that Sask hunt but one life saver was a fleece scarf I bought at the airport, I wrapped it around my neck and zipper my jacket up to it, really sealed off everything keeping my body heat inside.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
strosfann;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that you're getting weather you can live with in your section of Texas and you're well.

There's been a whole bunch of good ideas thrown out here, hopefully some of them are useable and useful to you.

After reading the replies a few other thoughts have bumped into my head so here goes.

When I'm ice fishing I have a chunk of 2" Styrofoam SM to put my feet on. I've laminated both sides with that plastic waferboard from political signs. It's amazing how much warmer my feet stay when on that and not on the ice.

Scarfs and even balaclava type headgear is comparatively thin, easy to pack and goes on and off as needed easily.

As 257Bob says, don't have the layers too tight, like our houses it's the air between the insulation doing the job.

Taking all these clothes into account - you might need to shorten your length of pull on your rifle. Many purpose built Canadian prairie rifles have really short lengths of pull and the unknowing might think it's because they're all my size - 5'6" on a tall day - but that's not the case. Try shooting the rifle going with you while you have 5 or 6 layers of clothes on.

By the way, that's not an exaggeration - typically here in late season where it's only -15° to - 28°C on top I run a merino base layer, then my "lucky" cotton camo, then an ancient Rocky fleece shirt, next a light down vest, next a hoodie and last a heavy wool sweater. I'll have a heavy vest and if it's really cold a camo Gortex parka strapped to the pack some days too.

So for sure, the length of pull or perhaps placement of the ocular lens at very least is something to consider.

My fellow Canuck from the land of my birth and first 20 years castnblast is spot on regarding mitts. I run a heavy wool liner mitten under welding mitts. Disposable hand warmers last about 3 hours ice fishing for me - regardless of what the package says.

Lastly I use a 3/4" foam pad to sit on these days, the ones they sell in the sporting goods stores for hunting that are camo on one side usually. Honestly I just discovered them a couple seasons back and they've added hours to how long I can comfortably sit.

Hope that all made sense and was useful.

Best of luck on the hunt regardless and all the best until then as well.

Dwayne

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Take a Hooker with you, NO not a fisherman.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by strosfann
Greetings, friends from the North,

I have a deer hunt booked for November in Northern SK. I’m from ND and used to be fairly cold-hardy back in the day before being wussified from living in TX. I hunt ND and/or MT nearly every November but I’m never still for hours on end.

I’m trying to upgrade my cold weather clothing this winter so I am ready this fall. What are your go-to items when layering up for a long day in the deep negative temps? I figured the guys who frequent this page would be best equipped with advice.

Thanks in advance,

Stros

Not Canadian, but on the rare occasions I'm forced to sit in zero or sub-zero (not in TX obviously) I bring heavy insulated bibs, sized larger than I'd normally wear, and a down parka 2x as large as my normal size. Like everyone said the clothes need to be much bigger than normal. I found that combo to be warmer than wrapping myself in a sleeping bag and it still allows for movement. I keep these things in a pack and put them on as needed. An insulated thermos with a very hot beverage can also give you extra time when your core temp starts to crash.

When I really hunted in the snow a lot I used mukluks which suck for climbing rough terrain but are super warm.

Most now I just try to hunt in areas in which I can move around some. I'd rather spend 30 minutes leaning against a tree, move some, spend another 30 minutes leaning against another tree, move some, etc. But maybe your outfitter won't allow that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AS BC30Cal says, you may need a shorter rifle, you could simple remove the recoil pad and protect the stock with electrical tape.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Well I'm not Canadian, but I grew up within sight of Brockville Ontario so, close enough. I've scanned this thread, maybe I've missed it, but one thing I didn't see that I would add is "don't wear too many socks." These days, in South Carolina, all I need on my feet right through deer season are my snake boots. If I'm up home hunting, however, I wear my Schnee's pacs with removable liners, a really thin pair of polypropylene sock liners, and a medium weight pair of wool socks at most. Leave some room for your feet in those boots. Too much sock and you'll cut the circulation in your feet. I have to admit, it took me a while to figure that out.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all of the great suggestions (minus the hooker)! My feet tend to sweat and get cold first so I will definitely be going with the advice on using spray antiperspirant and packing extra socks. I have some -80 Lacrosse pack boots that are one size up from my normal boot so will hopefully be able to get a heat pac in there with plenty of room. I do need to track down some extra size 14 liners so I can swap daily as advised. I’m 6’4” and 270 (but hope to be 240 by fall) so I typically wear a XXL without a lot of room to spare. I will likely need to track down some generously cut outerwear to enable proper layering.

I am thinking of getting one of the heater body suits or a competing brand but don’t like the thought of being zipped up in it when a big buck cruises through. I’m glad the LOP was brought up. I’ve been going back and forth on what rifle to bring and this May pint me towards a .308 that is shorter than the rest of my options.

Thanks again for all the good intel and anything additional is appreciated.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A Jones hand warmer?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
strosfann;
Afternoon sir, it's me once more from the banana belt of Canada for sure now, but as mentioned I grew up east of Yorkton on the Saskatchewan prairies.

Drying out the felt packs cannot be emphasized enough. If they're wet the next day you're done before you start.

With my old Sorels I've always had an additional felt liner underneath the removable felt pack bootie. A couple years back I found some with a metallic foil on the bottom and they actually might be okay, but just another felt liner underneath the bootie makes a huge difference.

When I was 15, my father took me out of school to hunt moose for a week in early December. It warmed up to -35°F one day but mostly it was colder than that. We left the rifles outside for the entire time as we didn't want them to sweat because they will do that. I had one rifle rust it's bore when I brought it in from chasing deer and just put it into the gun cabinet without wiping it down. Beware of sweating firearms...

Speaking of, make sure the rifle in question has weather proof lube in all spots. There was a thread going up in the Alaska forum about cold weather reliability that had some good intel in it. Usually we'd clean the inside of bolts and the trigger out with some aerosol cleaner like Brake Kleen and then use a dry graphite type lube. If castnblast is reading this ask him what works because he still hunts not far from where I lived for awhile and where we hunted.

Dad used to use a Jones hand warmer and honestly I know I inherited them when he passed but despite repeated efforts to find them, I've been unsuccessful so maybe I gave them to a buddy who lives further north? From what I recall they're fine, but as mentioned I just use the disposable ones - Hot Hands - is the brand that Costco had in the bulk box so that's what I use. They're better than not having them for sure.

Not to be indelicate, but understand that certain bodily functions are more of a procedure when you're wearing 6 layers of clothes which need to be removed and it's still -45° out. The learning curve is pretty quick for most of us and it is possible. Be careful to remove the layers far enough away from the process to prevent contamination - if you understand my meaning.

Few things ruin a hunt faster than contaminated hunting clothes - so I hear from reliable sources.

I've got a really fast metabolism so I eat all day long when I'm in the cold. A buddy who is a fair bit larger than me - and as noted previously that don't take much - can go much longer without eating and feeling chilled.

That's it for now, but I'll likely think about more after.

Off to plow out the neighbor's driveway now sir, it snowed again and they're down in Arizona where the smart Canadians spend this part of the year.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wear a pair of thick fleece trunks over your lower baselayer and under the exterior pants.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

NAY NAY !

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BC30cal
strosfann;
Afternoon sir, it's me once more from the banana belt of Canada for sure now, but as mentioned I grew up east of Yorkton on the Saskatchewan prairies.

Drying out the felt packs cannot be emphasized enough. If they're wet the next day you're done before you start.

With my old Sorels I've always had an additional felt liner underneath the removable felt pack bootie. A couple years back I found some with a metallic foil on the bottom and they actually might be okay, but just another felt liner underneath the bootie makes a huge difference.

When I was 15, my father took me out of school to hunt moose for a week in early December. It warmed up to -35°F one day but mostly it was colder than that. We left the rifles outside for the entire time as we didn't want them to sweat because they will do that. I had one rifle rust it's bore when I brought it in from chasing deer and just put it into the gun cabinet without wiping it down. Beware of sweating firearms...

Speaking of, make sure the rifle in question has weather proof lube in all spots. There was a thread going up in the Alaska forum about cold weather reliability that had some good intel in it. Usually we'd clean the inside of bolts and the trigger out with some aerosol cleaner like Brake Kleen and then use a dry graphite type lube. If castnblast is reading this ask him what works because he still hunts not far from where I lived for awhile and where we hunted.

Dad used to use a Jones hand warmer and honestly I know I inherited them when he passed but despite repeated efforts to find them, I've been unsuccessful so maybe I gave them to a buddy who lives further north? From what I recall they're fine, but as mentioned I just use the disposable ones - Hot Hands - is the brand that Costco had in the bulk box so that's what I use. They're better than not having them for sure.

Not to be indelicate, but understand that certain bodily functions are more of a procedure when you're wearing 6 layers of clothes which need to be removed and it's still -45° out. The learning curve is pretty quick for most of us and it is possible. Be careful to remove the layers far enough away from the process to prevent contamination - if you understand my meaning.

Few things ruin a hunt faster than contaminated hunting clothes - so I hear from reliable sources.

I've got a really fast metabolism so I eat all day long when I'm in the cold. A buddy who is a fair bit larger than me - and as noted previously that don't take much - can go much longer without eating and feeling chilled.

That's it for now, but I'll likely think about more after.

Off to plow out the neighbor's driveway now sir, it snowed again and they're down in Arizona where the smart Canadians spend this part of the year.

Dwayne

Arctic Panic! Six inches of clothes, three inches of peter, and a full bladder!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If wearing/using goose down clothing don't wear anything over it that compresses it. Compress the loft and the garment loses a lot of its warmth, it takes very little to compress the loft.

I have a shortage of 'over-sized' winter clothes.
Make sure and put your clothes in a place where they'll fully dry before the next days hunt.

The body puts off a lot of moisture, moisture that can and does freeze inside the insulation of exterior garments.

A guy retiring to Alaska bought the best down clothes money could buy, Western Mountaineering/Feathered Friends/etc. . Once there he was freezing when outside for long periods of time because he wasn't thoroughly drying his at the end of the day.
He wound up using what the Alaskans wore, if I recall it was double fur, fur turned inward towards the body and fur outside.
Don't try and re-invent the wheel type thing.
Good luck...

Last edited by ol_mike; 02/02/23.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sitka Deer;
Good morning to you sir, I trust the you and your fine family are well and you're getting a decent winter overall up there.

Thanks for the chuckle and putting a name to a very real situation! laugh

Since I grew up in that environment, most times it wasn't an insurmountable problem, but still it's wise to take precautions. wink

Anymore I can still do quite well until it's about -20° or so, but below that is just outside my comfort level somehow.

When I was a kid I lived for a few years about as far north as Edmonton - but in Saskatchewan - and I recall a couple days where it was -44° or perhaps a tad less. It was brisk for sure Sitka and even the snow machines started having parts break in that weather.

Thanks again for the laugh and all the best to you all.

Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all of the great suggestions (minus the hooker)! My feet tend to sweat and get cold first so I will definitely be going with the advice on using spray antiperspirant and packing extra socks. I have some -80 Lacrosse pack boots that are one size up from my normal boot so will hopefully be able to get a heat pac in there with plenty of room. I do need to track down some extra size 14 liners so I can swap daily as advised. I’m 6’4” and 270 (but hope to be 240 by fall) so I typically wear a XXL without a lot of room to spare. I will likely need to track down some generously cut outerwear to enable proper layering.

I am thinking of getting one of the heater body suits or a competing brand but don’t like the thought of being zipped up in it when a big buck cruises through. I’m glad the LOP was brought up. I’ve been going back and forth on what rifle to bring and this May pint me towards a .308 that is shorter than the rest of my options.

Thanks again for all the good intel and anything additional is appreciated.

I've hunted in Saskatchewan a handful of times and all outfits operate pretty much the same way; you'll do little walking, getting dropped off on a quad or pickup, so you're not likely to be sweated up.

Each time I hunted, I just brought an insulated jacket and pants with some basic layers beneath - and my heater body suit.

The heater suit works really, really well for containing all of you - and your body heat. And after a few outings, I just took my boots off (in the blind), added another sock, threw a couple of chemical packs in each foot area - presto, good for the day.

I loathe running a heater in the blind due to condensation so not being bundled up like the Michelin Man or severely constricted in movement is a blessing (with the heater suit) .

Your head is still exposed so make sure that is well insulated (also important if you're getting chauffeured in an open quad too). Throw a chemical heater in your headgear above the base of the neck for added warmth.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I didn't see it mentioned yet, BUT by doing some isometric exercises while sitting in a tree stand, or ground blind, will help get your heart rate up and blood flowing, and help keep a person warm as a result. It's something that I do when sitting for long periods and getting a chill. Works.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Copy on the isometrics - I do those as well to increase circulation and sometimes just to stay awake when there’s limited action.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
About the rifle lubrication. It really is possible to have your rifle fail to fire if you have petroleum lubricants in the bolt body / firing mechanism. Especially likely if you have old, cruddy petroleum lubricants that have oxidized and become thick. I have only had one experience of a misfire at -40, but once was enough.
I keep my rifles clean and lubricated, but avoid using regular oil for lubrication. 3 in 1 household oil and most automotive oils and such are very bad choices for cold weather use. I'm not of the belief that eliminating all oil and replacing with graphite or teflon powder is the best solution. That gives you no rust protection when condensation forms on the metal when your rifle warms up, and it will warm up sometime. So I just strip and clean my rifles that will be used in extreme cold with a spray degreaser, and then lubricate the inside of the bolt and the safety and trigger mechanisms very lightly with a good SYNTHETIC lubricant. There are many good ones on the market. Remington CLP, Outers, and possibly the best - and the one I use the most, G-96. Whatever you use, it must remain liquid at extreme low temperatures. You can replace grease on your locking lugs and action rails with the light synthetic oil too, but it's much less important there.

Last edited by castnblast; 02/04/23.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The trip is getting close! I am pretty well stocked on clothes and have my rifles dialed in. Need to clean them with some brake cleaner and should be ready to go. I acquired one of the Arctic Shield Body Suit units that will definitely come in handy.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Warm feet. Good loose boots with wool socks, even toe warmer /hand pack chemical warmers.

Boot insulators. Easy, light to carry in. Many styles.
https://www.arcticshieldoutdoor.com/boot-insulators---realtree-edge/5637324158.p

My face gets cold. I like a wind proof balaclava AND a big hood. A soft wool scarf is very nice too.

I don't like wearing a wrist watch, especially with a metal band. Sucks heat right off your wrist.

Foam to sit on. I do have a small orange sleeping I have used. Must've worked real well as I evidently caught a nice nap with it.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I have gone to electric socks and shirt. Its nice because you can apply just enough heat when you need it for a comfortable sit.

The other thing is depending on the stand, you can read or listen to audio books. It depends on the stand. some stands its all about the hearing the deer and you can read. just get in the habit of ytaking a good look around at the bottom of every page. Other stands like when your sitting on a windy day on a 400 yd soybean field, its all about seeing the deer and then you can listen to the audio books on a headset in one ear. Of course if the stand requires you to both listen and watch then thats what you have to do.

Being comfortable and not bored stiff will keep you going on a dawn to dusk sit when others are back at the lodge.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
AFAIC, if you’re not in a heated blind, if you sit still long enough you’re gonna get cold. I can tell you, even if you manage to sit still until dark, as you climb down that ladder you will be shaking like a leaf and it will take hours to warm up.

Better to take a good look around and then stand up and move slowly but enough to get your blood moving. Just pick up your feet enough to get the blood flowing.

A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The trip is getting close! I am pretty well stocked on clothes and have my rifles dialed in. Need to clean them with some brake cleaner and should be ready to go. I acquired one of the Arctic Shield Body Suit units that will definitely come in handy.

Let us know how you made out. I am headed to Alberta next Nov and have many of the same questions as you. Good luck.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I use a muff with 600 grams of thinsulate when I bow hunt in extreme cold weather. I wear no gloves or thin gloves and put a Zippo hand warmer in the muff. Keeps my hands very warm and works well for up to 12 hours. The muff is comfortable and out of the way of my bow even when at full draw.

I wear some Irish Setter pac boots that have 2000 grams of thinsulate and some kind of gel in the soles that creates a barrier to prevent the cold from ice or a frozen steel tree stand from penetrating into your boots. I use merino wool sock liners with Danner extreme cold weather socks. And the boots are loose-fitting as was previously suggested. Very important.

I alternate between a full face ski mask and a toque with a thick fleece neck gaiter. My cold weather bib style suit has a great hood on the parka. Sometimes I pull the neck gaiter over the ski mask but usually that's too constrictive and I feel like I'm wearing a neck brace. I like the idea about keeping an extra vest in the pack. I literally got up and went in my bedroom and dug up an old fleece vest I got from a machine shop I used to work at and tossed it in a bin with some hunting gear. I'll need to wash it in scent-free laundry soap, but that will work really well. Good tip!

I use polar tech extreme cold weather base layer and I stick the large pad body heaters on my kidneys. When I am in the tree stand and lean back I can feel them warming my back, right over my kidneys so as the blood flows through it gets warmed up and carries the warmth throughout my body. I stick them onto the outside of my base layer shirt rather than my skin and they stay put well that way.

I found the best hunting seat pad ever somewhere and I can't remember where I got it. It's a camo zippered pouch with an inner tube from a wheelbarrow-sized wheel inside. Like a heavy duty hemorrhoid cushion! Sounds funny, but that thing is so comfortable. I never even fidget the slightest bit when I'm sitting on that and it gets your butt up and away from a cold seat. It's one of my number one most important pieces of hunting gear, it is worth its weight in gold. I can sit longer, more comfortably, more still and warmer when I have it.

I always make peanut butter and bacon sandwiches on toast to take hunting. I usually only eat half of one while I'm out sitting all day, but that is a great source of fat and energy your body can use to turn into heat. It's very tasty and filling too.

I think I saw that Sauer rifles offer heated grips. Now that is bougie!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." --Matthew 6:33 KJV

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." --Col Townsend Whelen
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Heater Body Suit made in Wisconsin they work great, take a portable tripod with ,bring a lunch box with food and drinks ,bring a working Buddy heater just in case. i hunt in Northern Minnesota by the border i do a lot of all day sits in a stand . i have been using a Ruger #1 there is a reason for this too its 4 inches shorter in length than a bolt action with same barrel length and the Ruger #1 pokes out of the blind window easier and faster because its shorter . there is a little advantage using a more powerful cartridge too so i use a 257 Weatherby mag. recoil is not to bad as a bigger cartridge / bullet this rifle kicks / recoil less than a 30-06 . because i am going overseas on a hunt next spring and will need a bigger bullet like a 180 gr. 30 caliber and will take a Model 70 30-06 , so i will deer hunt this year with a model 70 30-06 with 130 gr Barnes bullets hopefully fast enough to kill a buck quickly with one shot even with this longer length rifle ? i wish you great luck , stay safe and warm you will never forget these types of hunts,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 10/27/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I went to a Melissa Bachman seminar and she recomended back hip belts with chemical hand warmers. Place this above the kidneys.
She also recomended artic shiled booties too.

Now I need to find a thermal belt before MN season next week.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Chemical hand and toe warmers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been up there a few times.
I spent the money on this stuff.
https://kingofthemountain.com/.
Nuttie price but I've never regretted it.
It kept me outside .
When the only chance of getting a deer is to sit in that crap all day.
You gotten lots of good advice here.
Couple of things I'll add.
Wool with the right underwear can keep you out if you sweat up.
If you sweat up and your outfit doesn't vent.
Your screwed.
Feet.
I used Canadian military mukluks.
Not that great for walking.
You cinch them up as tight as you can for walking.
For sitting you pop the laces.
They kept me on stand when nothing else would.
Hands.
I used the hand system from KOM.
With the muff.
Add the hand warmer as needed.
A stand sack or a sleeping bag even a cheep one with a cloth exterior will work wonders.
As much of a PITA as it is it helps to take your boots off.
Add hand warmers as needed.
I always like to sit in the sleeping bag with my arms out and hands in the muff.
Your ready to go this way.
When it -30 or more your never going to be comfortable.
As long as your hurting.
Your good.
When it stops hurting.
Get up and go for a walk.
Get your rifle degreased.
Seen lots of frozen guns up there.
Good luck.
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
L A Y E R S. of breathable clothing with an outer cover that repels moisture. Don't put all your clothes for walking in. Stay dry and stay mobile and leave before you start to freeze up.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The heater body suit is a game changer, it’s a must have. Thermacare back wraps are also a game changer they last all day and keep your low back or what ever body part warm. Booties are good too I think I use the artic shield brand. Take some thing to sit on as well to keep your back side from getting cold from the chair. Take snack and a thermos of coffee/tea/hot chocolate. I listen to audio book or podcasts when sitting especially during mid day to stay awake.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I hunted Saskatchewan a couple of times 20 years ago. The first year it was cold. The second year it was very cold. Lots of good advice here. Have plans to keep your head and feet warm. Degrease your rifle bolt.

Eating snacks on the stand is enjoyable and helps keep you warm, but makes it more likely you will have to pee or heaven forbid poop under those extreme conditions.

You will need a small, soft sided cooler with a hand warmer inside it to keep your lunch and drink from freezing.

Have some tissue or a cloth handy to scrub the frozen condensation off your glasses, scope, or binoculars when you accidentally breathe on the lenses.

The stands we were in did not have heaters and had openings all the way around where the wind blew through. I had a piece of plastic I tried to put over the upwind side to stop it, but I didn’t have any push pins, and it was so cold that duct tape wouldn’t work.

We had good hunts and killed big bucks. Good luck to you and give us a report when you return.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Flashdog
I hunted Saskatchewan a couple of times 20 years ago. The first year it was cold. The second year it was very cold. Lots of good advice here. Have plans to keep your head and feet warm. Degrease your rifle bolt.

Eating snacks on the stand is enjoyable and helps keep you warm, but makes it more likely you will have to pee or heaven forbid poop under those extreme conditions.

You will need a small, soft sided cooler with a hand warmer inside it to keep your lunch and drink from freezing.

Have some tissue or a cloth handy to scrub the frozen condensation off your glasses, scope, or binoculars when you accidentally breathe on the lenses.

The stands we were in did not have heaters and had openings all the way around where the wind blew through. I had a piece of plastic I tried to put over the upwind side to stop it, but I didn’t have any push pins, and it was so cold that duct tape wouldn’t work.

We had good hunts and killed big bucks. Good luck to you and give us a report when you return.
Best post ever about what could and does happen lol.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lip balm/ petroleum jelly ( for lips and ~1"+ past lips on skin, even nostrils). Frigid dry air chaps skin fast, especially when you lick your lips.

Ski goggles. Keeps dry frigid breeze off eyes. Minimizes exposed skin to reduce risk of frostbite. Retains heat.

Foam on eyeglass arms over ears: If you wear glasses, particularly metal frames/arms, cover arms with foam to reduce heat loss where they contact head (highly vascular ear/temple area). Rolls of thin adhesive foam tape (judge color) can be purchased at your local stores in the first aid section.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The lip balm is one I hadn’t thought of. Need to track down a couple sizeable foam pads for butt & floor as well. Flying into ND for a couple days chasing pheasants and helping my nephew find a buck. Should have time to track down a few last items there so I don’t have to fly with them. Have the brake cleaner ready to go to clean the bolts and triggers on the two rifles I’m bringing up.

If I get cold in the gear I’m bringing then I’m just not cut out for Sask hunting.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Look at the bright side, at least the beer won't get warm on your hunting trip.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The coldest I ever went hunting was on boxing day in the early to mid 60s. it was 50 below F. We lasted about half an hour in a sleigh behind Dads Alpine MSV. The moose got a pass that day.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember a weekend one December, it was so cold (-38*C ambient), that I couldn't light my propane heater !

Made for very short hunts.

Since then, I always have a couple of 1lbers at home, that I can carry in, under my coat.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I’m back from the not so frozen North. Temps were barely below freezing so I didn’t really get to test the massive amount of stuff I paid to drag up North! I appreciate all the input and plan to go back next year when hopefully the weather will be a little more wintery.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
One of my go-to's is putting those hand warmer packets in my -40 rated boots right under my toes, when they start cooling off, I replace then right quick. Warm is essential during long sit hunts, if you are hunting from a blind.

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/16/23.

KB

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks again for all the cold weather tips. They weren’t needed due to the balmy temps last week but will be put to use on future trips.

Here is the write up on my hunt:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/18945848#Post18945848

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great buck you have there!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i always bring a adjustable tri-pod in a ground blind or above ground deer stand now days

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations, that is a fine, fine buck !

Paul.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great write up and congratulations on a great buck.
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some good tips here! My go-to is taking a sleeping bag with me to the blind/stand. Boots may or may not come off also. There’s always a cut-off piece of closed cell foam under my feet. Those milsurp 3 part bags work well for this; I usually opt for the big green bag. Bag stays up to my shoulders and I ease it down when needed. If it’s cold I always cover my head/neck/face well. And like Sitka said, never hike in wearing too much. If hiking in is not chilly-to-cold, you’re wearing too much. Stuff everything in a roomy backpack. It’s difficult, but I have donned many layers sitting in a tree stand😊
These days I frequently hunt in pop-up blinds. Much easier then, and wind resistant. I have not done it, but would not hesitate to run a small heater if that’s what it took to make the hunt work. I’ve found that getting older reduces my cold tolerance, too.

Good sitting!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There is a downside to all those layers of clothes. Year ago, we went deer hunting as a group in Iowa. I was just posting. One of the walkers was a big, strong, strapping fellow. Came to us from walking a creek at the end.

Walking real funny. Asked if he fell and hurt a leg? NO< I s h i t myself and could not get those layers off fast enough! LOL...another buddy and I cracked up laughing, much to his dismay. He got lucky, one of our group owned the ground and lived across the gravel road, so he could get cleaned up.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
SG offers a sleeping bag with sleeves. Maybe worth checking out for stand/post hunting.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Very interesting thread. I've never experienced that kind of cold

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't think anyone mentioned using vapor barrier socks. I used them for the first time this year and they worked - my boots weren't wet inside from perspiration. I didn't do much walking as I got to my stand with an ATV. I have owned vapor barrier socks for years, but was afraid to use them because I thought they would make my feet sweat too much. They didn't. I don't know what would have happened if I did a lot of walking.

Many years ago I operated heavy equipment and wore Sorel pack boots with wool felt liners. I wasn't doing any walking, but did use my feet to control the machine. My feet sweated a lot, and the felt boot liners were soaked. My feet were very cold. I wish I had tried vapor barrier socks - or even plastic bags - over my socks back then. Of course, I didn't have a boot dryer at home, either.

When I hunted Colorado over 30 years ago I used liner socks under medium weight socks. We hiked a lot, and my feet were sweaty. I changed socks at least once a day. We hunted out of tents, so drying clothes became an issue.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, our Peet boot dryer is in constant use, once the cold hits !

Paul.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dress warm, not bundled up tight. You need a little space between layers.

Snacks, your body produces heat as you digest.

Those new to me reflective socks are a very welcome addition.

I am just your average Joe.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Wolf puppies...

I was on stand at 13 degrees, daylight coming in, freezing my arse off, when a few hundred yards behind me, on a lake, there was a sudden outburst of agitated duck quacking, followed by high pitched frustrated wolf puppie barking.

Warmed me right up, I was laughing so hard, picturing it.

Last edited by las; 12/31/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Some good tips here! My go-to is taking a sleeping bag with me to the blind/stand. Boots may or may not come off also. There’s always a cut-off piece of closed cell foam under my feet. Those milsurp 3 part bags work well for this; I usually opt for the big green bag. Bag stays up to my shoulders and I ease it down when needed

I have only been to Saskatchewan once. I usually do not hunt in extremally cold weather. So I do not own a lot of the items mentioned here. The sleeping bag worked out very well for me. My hunting buddy has a big commercial sewing machine. he sewed a single shoulder strap on the sleeping bag to keep it up on my left shoulder. Its easy to slide it off your shoulder to make a shot. It kept me plenty warm and I didn't spend a lot of $$$ on cold weather gear.

However, If I lived and hunted in extreme temps I would certainly own the proper equipment.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Nothing to do with the cold but about sitting for a long time in the stand. As I got older I lost some padding on my backside and I learned while duck hunting sitting in a boat on a hard seat you need something to sit on, a boad cussion gets as hard as the seat after a while . My buddy and I bought innertubes for for lawn tractor rear wheels. They work well bit only inflate them to the point that the top and bottom does not touch, takes some trial and error but when you get it right it allows a longer sit between standing up.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.